Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists re-create an extinct virus

Claire.

Scientists Re-created an Extinct Virus

For years there have been warnings that advances in science could make it possible to cook up killer diseases in laboratories and unleash them on the world. This week came news that scientists at the University of Alberta have put together from scratch a relative of the smallpox virus — and a reminder that the threat of deadly viruses created by humans is more than theoretical.

Read more: Scientific American

"He is trying to develop cancer vaccines and wants to use a vaccinia virus — another relative of smallpox, often used in research — as a way to introduce cancer fighters to the immune system. Learning how to make vaccinia viruses synthetically would speed this work"

This is eerily similar to the script for I AM LEGEND.  IIRC, a cold virus variant was used as a universal cancer vaccine and the results were 100% effective.  Unfortunately, everyone that took the vaccine turned into zombie-like beasts and infected anyone they bit.  

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, and then said:

This is eerily similar to the script for I AM LEGEND.  IIRC, a cold virus variant was used as a universal cancer vaccine and the results were 100% effective.  Unfortunately, everyone that took the vaccine turned into zombie-like beasts and infected anyone they bit. 

I'm pretty sure that the intent of the story's lead, to gin up a readership.

...apparently they were pretty successful, since it got posted here.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 1

They will cook up something one of these days that will give us a zombie apocalypse.  Then they will have to come up with a vaccine for that.

• Like 3

Just now, Ashotep said:

They will cook up something one of these days that will give us a zombie apocalypse.  Then they will have to come up with a vaccine for that.

It'll probably be more of a rage virus. Turning people into homicidal maniacs.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Ashotep said:

The cure is already tried and tested :yes:

winchester_shotgun_3.jpg

• Like 4

12 hours ago, XenoFish said:

So do I finally get a zombie apocalypse?

It is already upon us.

• Like 1

Once the technology genie's out of the bottle there is not much one can do to stop it,  kind of like the atomic bomb.  It is only a matter of time when some hateful b****** figures it out and uses it.  Nice knowing y'all.  :st

• Like 2

16 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I think that's already happening, no virus needed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

It is already upon us.

That's a whole new level for the definition of "fresh fish"! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Yeah, well, if you remove the glamorous layer and stick to reality, probably yes. 

More in the vein of The Crazies. 

What could possibly go wrong with this?

• Like 1

I think the headline should include an explanation that this is done to further research in possible treatments for cancer:

Evans wanted to prove the point. But he also had a bigger goal in mind. He is trying to develop cancer vaccines and wants to use a vaccinia virus — another relative of smallpox, often used in research — as a way to introduce cancer fighters to the immune system. Learning how to make vaccinia viruses synthetically would speed this work.

The way it stands now it's easy to misinterpret it as scientists doing dangerous science for the sake of science, unless one reads the article (which only mentions the reasons for this procedure in an almost off-hand manner).

Why does fear of the possible, future misuse of such technology get the headline instead of excitement about it's possible, future benefits?

On 11/07/2017 at 4:06 AM, and then said:

Except, you know, that was a stupid Hollywood movie.

Edited by Orphalesion

2 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

Why does fear of the possible, future misuse of such technology get the headline instead of excitement about it's possible, future benefits?

Because from a very basic risk vs reward analysis standpoint it doesn't seem to be worth it 

• Like 1

I'll go with Jeff Goldblum here: "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."

Life, if you even consider viruses living, has a way of escaping and surviving. So let's hope this "relative" of Smallpox is not pathogenic to humans. 

• Like 3

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 1:26 PM, EBE Hybrid said:

The Omega Man! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Omega_Man,

Or possibly the Simian flu in Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes

Don't forget Vincent Price's version "The Last Man on Earth"  I think this was also the first version as well.

How are they going to know if the virus mutants into something that isn't harmless?  Wait until someone takes a sample out to play with and (enter your tag line here!)

• Like 2

If science is able to bring this back to life it means nature also can. Better be prepared than be caught with your pants down.....just saying.

• Like 2

It sounds dangerous, but if they cure cancer with it, we'll all be cheering.