Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

First Object Teleported from Earth to Orbit

seeder

This link has a soundfile explanation

First object teleported to Earth's orbit

Chinese researchers have teleported a photon from the Gobi desert to a satellite orbiting five hundred kilometres above the earth.

This is achieved through quantum entanglement, a process where two particles react as one with no physical connection between them.

Hooke Professor of Experimental Physics at Oxford University Ian Walmsley tells the World At One how quantum entanglement works and how teleportation could be utilised.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/science-environment-40573621/first-object-teleported-to-earth-s-orbit

• Like 3

That IS one "sensitive photon receiver."

• Like 3

Awesome, It is a big step. It will bring on a new era for communication and space robotics.  They will be able to drive those little rovers in real time.  

• Like 5

Yep the beginning of FTL communication and "Beam me up Scotty"!

• Like 3

Eh, this is just long distance entanglement isn't it? It's not actual teleportation.

• Like 8

In the future, I can imagine that we will have quantum entangled particle pairs, such as electrons, where one of the particles is on Earth and the other on a Mars station. Then people on Earth and Mars will be able to communicate with each other in real-time since changing the property of one particle in the pair will immediately change the same property of the other. We will not have to care about the speed of light as we would if we communicated using radio waves.

Edited by fred_mc
  • Like 3

So much for firewalls on our computers and the evaporation of what little privacy we have left.

As far as the secure quantum internet goes, nothing is hack-proof.

Edited by paperdyer
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, cerberusxp said:

Yep the beginning of FTL communication and "Beam me up Scotty"!

Unrelated to thread, but did you know that quote was actually never used in Star Trek :lol:

• Like 1

Yep the beginning of FTL communication

How ?

Photons can't travel faster than the speed of light - they are light.

and "Beam me up Scotty"!

Photons are not solid matter. You can't make a solid object out of photons, so sorry no beam me up Scotty yet. (If ever)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fred_mc said:

In the future, I can imagine that we will have quantum entangled particle pairs, such as electrons, where one of the particles is on Earth and the other on a Mars station. Then people on Earth and Mars will be able to communicate with each other in real-time since changing the property of one particle in the pair will immediately change the same property of the other. We will not have to care about the speed of light as we would if we communicated using radio waves.

Unfortunately all experiments have shown that it is impossible to use quantum entanglement for faster than light communication. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

How ?

Photons are not solid matter. You can't make a solid object out of photons, so sorry no beam me up Scotty yet. (If ever)

The experiment is the beginning of what could potentially be.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

But entanglement is faster than light. However, I don't think you'll ever be able to use it to "communicate".

• Like 3

A little in depth background on 'Mozi' / Micius :

Source: "The ethical and political works of Motse", W. P. Mei, Probsthain, 1929 - Romanisation changed from Wade-Giles to Pinyin

N.B. W.P. Mei's translation omits the Canons, Daqu, Xiaoqu, and the military chapters.

English translation of the Canons is based on that in A.C. Graham's "Later Mohist Logic, Ethics, and Science", Chinese University Press, 1978

• Chinese Text Project LINK

~

Born in what is now Tengzhou, Shandong Province, he founded the school of Mohism that argued strongly against Confucianism and Taoism. His philosophy emphasized self-restraint, self-reflection and authenticity rather than obedience to ritual. During the Warring States period, Mohism was actively developed and practiced in many states but fell out of favour when the legalist Qin dynasty came to power. During that period, many Mohist classics are by many believed to have been ruined when the emperor Qin Shi Huang supposedly carried out the burning of books and burying of scholars. The importance of Mohism further declined when Confucianism became the dominant school of thought during the Han Dynasty, until mostly disappearing by the middle of the Western Han dynasty.[2]

Mozi is known by children throughout Chinese culture by way of the Thousand Character Classic, which records that he was saddened when he saw dyeing of pure white silk, which embodied his conception of austerity (simplicity, chastity).

~

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Emma_Acid said:

Eh, this is just long distance entanglement isn't it? It's not actual teleportation.

That's correct. The photons must have been entangled in a lab on Earth and then one of them sent on a rocket taking a satellite into orbit. The story got it very wrong when it said "... teleported a photon from the ground to a satellite...".

The photon was not teleported. It in the satellite when it was launched.

• Like 4

I imagine that if you were to 128 pairs of individually entangled particles, send half out into space whilst the other half are at a base station, you'd be able to have 128 bit instant telemetry and communications

Edited by EBE Hybrid
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, EBE Hybrid said:

I imagine that if you were to 128 pairs of individually entangled particles, send half out into space whilst the other half are at a base station, you'd be able to have 128 bit instant telemetry and communications

You cannot use entanglement to communicate, it doesn't matter how many you have.

• Like 3

Guest brizink

Well it sounds like that's exactly what's been done. And his proposal for 128bit communication is perfectly doable. Although technically you'd either need a quantum processor or a chipset that Includes double the entangled particles, one half for sending and the other half for receiving. And a mirror-chip on the ground. In Concept anyway. It could actually work. 

18 hours ago, brizink said:

Well it sounds like that's exactly what's been done. And his proposal for 128bit communication is perfectly doable. Although technically you'd either need a quantum processor or a chipset that Includes double the entangled particles, one half for sending and the other half for receiving. And a mirror-chip on the ground. In Concept anyway. It could actually work. 

Quantum processors work by using their superpositions as replacements for the standard on/off states of traditional computers.

You cannot use "entanglement" as a way of transmitting information, for the simple reason you cannot control what it is you're doing to the entanglement. Forcing a certain state on the particle breaks the entanglement.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Emma_Acid said:

Quantum processors work by using their superpositions as replacements for the standard on/off states of traditional computers.

You cannot use "entanglement" as a way of transmitting information, for the simple reason you cannot control what it is you're doing to the entanglement. Forcing a certain state on the particle breaks the entanglement.

Sadly, exactly this. Quora has many answers that expand on this. Chad Orzel also posted a fairly decent laymen's explanation on Forbes. I don't know why but every time I read about this, this (unrelated?) quote pops into my head:

Hap: "Time's funny stuff Pete. Even funnier than Einstein figured out."

Pete: "Yeah? How'd he take it?"

-Always (1989)

Edited by Calibeliever
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Emma_Acid said:

Where/how did you learn so much of science???

Guest brizink
18 hours ago, Emma_Acid said:

So it needs a workaround. Think "quantum budging". Shot in the dark :)

2 hours ago, brizink said:

So it needs a workaround. Think "quantum budging". Shot in the dark :)

I don't know what this means??

12 hours ago, Blood_Sacrifice said:

Where/how did you learn so much of science???

Reading when I'm supposed to be working

Guest brizink

Budging would be something like using entangled particles to react to circumstance along spacetime without damaging the entanglement, but still be able to detect the change in the point b particle, this allowing the flow of data but without killing your medium per bit of data. It's just a theory, but then again so is gravity. Can be done. Magnetics has shown promise in a similar concept. Entanglement could be far more efficient. 

On Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 6:42 AM, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

How ?

Actually a few years ago an experiment was able to convert light into some particles  .