Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New theory on why trypophobia causes disgust

Claire.

If These Photos Disgust You, You May Have Trypophobia

Trypophobia might be one of the Internet's most talked about phobias that you haven't heard of by name. The term is Greek for "boring holes"—trypo—and "fear"—phobia—and amounts to a fear of clusters of small holes.

Read more: National Geographic

• Like 5

Well, it turns out that I am only mildly trypophobic.

The coffee doesn't bother me, but the seed pods are just ugly!

• Like 2

I'm not even going to look at the photos ........ 'nuff said.

• Like 2

As someone who is trypophobic, my best to advice is to never, ever, type "trypophobia" in to Google images.

I did that once when writing an article about it and I ended up shuddering for a week.

• Like 3

I wasn't trypophobic until I watched part of a B-Horror movie where swarms of tiny spiders gushed out of a shower head. That totally did it for me,

• Like 1

I'm sure some trypophobic people like popping pimples. 

I wonder if their satisfaction turns to disgust when they find a good one which leaves a cavity? Or if it's just nullified?

I would be more worried about this!

IMG_3539.JPG

• Like 3

Wow I had never heard of this, let alone know of its wide spread.

Genetic memory is interesting and experiments with mice, for example, demonstrated certain introduced fears could be found in the next generation. So, perhaps we might be a little more grateful to some our ancestors who's learning by trial was translated to subsequent generations as a survival trait.

google surinam toad. ever since i saw one in a book when i was 7 or i have been sickened by the sight of them.

google surinam toad seriously.

4 hours ago, The Russian Hare said:

Wow I had never heard of this, let alone know of its wide spread.

They'll come up with a catchy three-letter word for "trypophobia" and start marketing a drug for it that will only in rare cases cause death.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, pbarosso said:

google surinam toad. ever since i saw one in a book when i was 7 or i have been sickened by the sight of them.

google surinam toad seriously.

I'm familiar with them pretty disgusting method of reproduction, from an anthropomorphic point of view. 

Tiny holes don't bother me, the giant black hole of our national debt, now that's scary! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/13/2017 at 10:21 AM, Almighty Evan said:

They'll come up with a catchy three-letter word for "trypophobia" and start marketing a drug for it that will only in rare cases cause death.

im still wondering when they will invent a drug to prevent people from being democrats and liberals. they can call it "realiprin" "dumbassitol"

• Like 1

On 7/30/2017 at 1:50 PM, pbarosso said:

im still wondering when they will invent a drug to prevent people from being democrats and liberals. they can call it "realiprin" "dumbassitol"

Sounds like a faux commercial SNL would play after the opening monologue.... oops, SNL doesn't do jokes against liberals.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2017 at 5:27 AM, Almighty Evan said:

Sounds like a faux commercial SNL would play after the opening monologue.... oops, SNL doesn't do jokes against liberals.

they did once. once.

• Like 1