Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Ladies and Gentlemen" changed on trains

seeder

On 16/07/2017 at 7:44 PM, bee said:

Oh what a lovely flag .... :no:

It's quite clearly an act of passive aggressiveness on the part of the flag designer, "ohh you cis-people, sooo boring". Why not shades of pink for female heterosexuals and shades of blue for male heterosexuals, they've already conformed to gender colour imagery with other flags, but no. Let's have a dig at the "cissies". 

• Like 2

It's fun how often it is that the ones who aren't gay/trans/smurfosexual/whatever are the ones who are offended by everything. gay people have no problem to call themselves f** for example but it is the white heterosexual who are soooo offended by racial/sexual slurs. I'm not promoting to say degrading things about people who considers themselves whatever but i have more experience with non-lbtq people being more sensitive to that stuff than the people who are.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm genderfluid or bigender (a poster here thought I said bisexual...nope, not what I meant) - here's the definition of bigender.

...Bigender: To identify as both genders and/or to have a tendency to move between masculine and feminine gender-typed behavior depending on context; 2) Expressing a distinctly male persona and a distinctly female persona; 3) Two separate genders in one body. 

Gender identity is considered a new "concept" in popular culture and sociopolitics, but gender identity became a regular media item since like 2000...and many of us are oblivious about LGBTQ, Intersex, Pansexual and Asexual people were always around throughout history. 

• Like 1

So short summary you're either an effeminate male or a masculine chick. In other words like most people to a degree, you just use 'special words'.

Penis or vagina, its not that confusing.

• Like 1

The issue I guess is deeper. 

I'll throw some raw ideas, not sure they will make much sense. 

Like the exchange between @Solipsi Rai and @XenoFish shows (a bit defiant maybe, but I agree with you Xeno), what once would have normally been described as a regular person with a well developed personality (and not a 2 dimentional character or stereotype) now has to be labelled something

The reason I think lies basically in 1) the need to belong to something, 2) an identity crisis, 3) existential loneliness and 4) superficiality.

Words are used to define concepts. If you are defined, you are contained and have specific boundaries. If you have a label, you can identify yourself with it and band together with other people wearing the same label. 

It's basically stereotyping and simplifying ourselves, in order to fit into a defined group. The group can be as complex and encompassing as you want, but it's still delimited by a de-finition (that comes from the Latin "definire" meaning "to limit" "to set bounds to").   

It is way scarier and harder being a simple human being, not defined by anything in particular, but shaped by many different aspects that make you truly unique. 

It requires looking inside ourselves, instead of outside. 

To me the general principle is not much different than what defines nerds, heavy metal fans or any cultural sub-group. 

It's just another type of social categorisation. 

And this is dangerous, because then you don't see people for who they are, but for what they are. 

• Like 1

My issue with this is the amount of over-complication that it's been taken to. There are just two genders, you are either straight, gay, or bi. But outside of that it's nothing. If you are a true trans individual you have serious issue that need proper medical attention. But you have these gender trenders. The Trans-alien unicorn otherkin that have some serious issues. They need therapy. Not coddling and special pronouns. Because in all honesty no one gives a flying **** about your sexual identity. No one cares if you cross dress, no one cares about your feelings. No one. I wonder how long it'll be before the rest of the alphabet is added to LGBTQXYZLMNOP............

Life is absurd, laugh at it, and chill the F out. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Solipsi Rai said:

I'm genderfluid or bigender (a poster here thought I said bisexual...nope, not what I meant) - here's the definition of bigender.

...Bigender: To identify as both genders and/or to have a tendency to move between masculine and feminine gender-typed behavior depending on context; 2) Expressing a distinctly male persona and a distinctly female persona; 3) Two separate genders in one body. 

Gender identity is considered a new "concept" in popular culture and sociopolitics, but gender identity became a regular media item since like 2000...and many of us are oblivious about LGBTQ, Intersex, Pansexual and Asexual people were always around throughout history. 

Pardon me, but this definition is utter offensive and stereotyping. 

And bull faeces. 

Possibly I got it wrong, so please correct me if that's the case. 

Are you saying that if a "male" cries watching the notebook (and watches the Notebook!) he's a bigender? 

If a "female" likes cars, is she a bigender? 

What if a "male" can't drive, is he a bigender? 

So if a "female" is not impulsive, does it make her a bigender? 

Are we back to the fifties, where "a man never cries" and a woman's only office is the kitchen? 

If that's the meaning of your definition, it's pretty retrograde. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

My issue with this is the amount of over-complication that it's been taken to. There are just two genders, you are either straight, gay, or bi. But outside of that it's nothing. If you are a true trans individual you have serious issue that need proper medical attention. But you have these gender trenders. The Trans-alien unicorn otherkin that have some serious issues. They need therapy. Not coddling and special pronouns. Because in all honesty no one gives a flying **** about your sexual identity. No one cares if you cross dress, no one cares about your feelings. No one. I wonder how long it'll be before the rest of the alphabet is added to LGBTQXYZLMNOP............

Well, you see, there is a difference between "unique", "different" and "special", but I don't think they get it. 

Just now, Parsec said:

Well, you see, there is a difference between "unique", "different" and "special", but I don't think they get it. 

I don't think they ever will. I thought people were trying to shed labels and discard the boxes. Yet they put themselves in boxes with more labels than a UPS package on a global tour.

• Like 5

Oh my, I just found out that there's racial (or ethnic) fluidity as well! 

I was checking before making an example ad absurdum, but reality beat me on that! 

It is basically the concept of whitewashing upside down. 

Very well, from now on I will not be a white Caucasian anymore, I will be Chinese! 

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1

I just read this entire thread to prove to myself how bored I am.

Mission accomplished.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, XenoFish said:

QUILTBANDIT is the acronym hat covers ALL persuasions I think.

queer, undecided, interested in men, lesbian, transgender male, bisexual, asexual, none of your damn business, does it have a phone number? interested in women, transgender female. 

• Like 5

Meanwhile... after seven pages.

"Hello, everyone... blah, blah, blah."

Who, I ask, is offended by that?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Meanwhile... after seven pages.

"Hello, everyone... blah, blah, blah."

Who, I ask, is offended by that?

Because it sounds rather patronizing. If trains are subject to delay and disruption , as cheery voice saying "hi there folks" really wouldn't give many people a nice warm glow to think that trains may be subject to delay and confusion, but at least they really care about not offending cisgender people. :blink:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Because it sounds rather patronizing. If trains are subject to delay and disruption , as cheery voice saying "hi there folks" really wouldn't give many people a nice warm glow to think that trains may be subject to delay and confusion, but at least they really care about not offending cisgender people. :blink:

I know how much you like your trains, but really, just because "it sounds patronizing". Is that a real excuse to be offended? If your train was delayed or disrupted, why would it matter how you were addressed?...

*bing bong*

"Mr./Mrs./Miss/Ms./Cis Von Dreidecker, your train derailed outside the station. You're not going anywhere this morning. Have a nice day! :)"

If they gave the impression that they cared more about not offending people who are looking for something to be offended about rather than providing a comfortable and reliable service to the public, then yes. 

19 hours ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Because it sounds rather patronizing.

Okay what doesn't sound patronizing? I mean the way it seems is that if you say the wrong thing to someone (like sir or miss). Hell have no fury like a snowflake scorned.

13 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Okay what doesn't sound patronizing? I mean the way it seems is that if you say the wrong thing to someone (like sir or miss). Hell have no fury like a snowflake scorned.

Sir or ma'am makes people feel old. 

It's a minefield out there. :D

• Like 1

That's the problem with people who take themselves too seriously. They get their underwear in a knot, and that knot is wrapped in barbwire, then when something hurts their "feels" it goes right up their butt. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

That's the problem with people who take themselves too seriously.

When I think about it. This might be the underlining motivation I have for posting 2/3rds the stuff I post. A lot of the times is seems that many people take themselves and their own little microcosmos way to seriously. Striving for some great big meaning in their lives. Yet they do not live. They'd rather force people to accept them than to honestly accept themselves. They are too serious. When I write about the meaninglessness of life, I honestly think I'm saying, why take is serious. 

Do-not-take-life-too-seriously.-You-will

People getting bent out of shape over things that are actually completely unimportant. It's imaginary problems. 

• Like 2