Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Was this a showcase of psychic abilities?

Lucgrs

4 minutes ago, nephili said:

What about it makes you think that it is psychic phenomenon? What is your idea of what psychics are or can do? You said maybe the future, what made you think that?

The fact that I didn't construct the image myself, how it felt I was looking at something through the lens of a messed up pair of glasses, and the fact that once I lost concentration, I also lost the image (plus it didn't just disappear, it faded out)

"A psychic is a person who claims to use extrasensory perception (ESP) to identify information hidden from the normal senses." - Wikipedia. That's also what I think psychic means 

Well, I know I've never seen that bedroom in the past, so I thought that I may have seen in the future - if that makes sense

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lucgrs said:

Thank you. And well, that's exactly the same thing I'm asking: does that have anything to do with psychic abilities? 

Well IMO, no, it defininitely has nothing to do with anything psychic abilities and there's no reason why you should even think about looking for a fantastical explanation. 

Sorry for being blunt, but there are multiple known explanations for what you experienced, the most likely being sleep related phenomena. And you thinking you weren't sleepy etc. is not weird in these cases either. 

Furhermore, quiXilvers similar experiences can be explained in exactly the same way.

Edit: And just to add, of course it's good to keep an open mind in some cases. But in cases like this, there's absolutely no reason to be looking for any kind of fantastical explanation.

Edited by Timonthy
Edit

22 minutes ago, Lucgrs said:

The fact that I didn't construct the image myself, how it felt I was looking at something through the lens of a messed up pair of glasses, and the fact that once I lost concentration, I also lost the image (plus it didn't just disappear, it faded out)

Well, I know I've never seen that bedroom in the past, so I thought that I may have seen in the future - if that makes sense

Literally everyone experiences that exact same thing. Everyone dreams places they haven't been, people they have never met and scenarios they haven't consciously thought of. Specific small things are blurred out, details aren't there. Dark or monochromatic colors. It's very common but still fascinating.

The only thing is you are certain you were not sleeping. People also dream that very often. It often feels magical and/or unnerving.

This just doesn't fit your definition:

32 minutes ago, Lucgrs said:

"A psychic is a person who claims to use extrasensory perception (ESP) to identify information hidden from the normal senses." - Wikipedia. That's also what I think psychic means 

In my opinion.

It's more likely you are just convinced you were awake while dreaming than you saw the dark and blurry future. Would you agree?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nephili said:

Literally everyone experiences that exact same thing. Everyone dreams places they haven't been, people they have never met and scenarios they haven't consciously thought of. Specific small things are blurred out, details aren't there. Dark or monochromatic colors. It's very common but still fascinating.

The only thing is you are certain you were not sleeping. People also dream that very often. It often feels magical and/or unnerving.

This just doesn't fit your definition:

In my opinion.

It's more likely you are just convinced you were awake while dreaming than you saw the dark and blurry future. Would you agree?

I do agree it's not likely at all I'm psychic, but I also don't think that's impossible, you know? I've never been awake during a dream before. And it may not be a coincidence that this happened after I started meditating and learning about things beyond our physical world 

Edit: also I think it's relevant to note that my intuition has been weirdly accurate lately (even though I have never been very good at guessing things)

Edited by Lucgrs
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Lucgrs said:

I do agree it's not likely at all I'm psychic, but I also don't think that's impossible, you know? I've never been awake during a dream before. And it may not be a coincidence that this happened after I started meditating and learning about things beyond our physical world 

Edit: also I think it's relevant to note that my intuition has been weirdly accurate lately (even though I have never been very good at guessing things)

Well, I must say, I'm not a skeptic with psychic phenomenon. My husband knows an extraordinary woman and he's known her most of his life. She's more than proved people have abilities we don't understand to me. So I do believe things are possible. No doubts about it. But what you described seems easier to explain. Maybe you are psychic though. I haven't met anyone yet with anything close to answers on the subject.

Edited by nephili
  • Like 3

I just recently (several months ago) discovered an interesting thing about some humans.

It occured when my wife was describing her dreams to me and the way she described them struck me again as odd.  I tried to pin her down as to how a building in the dream looked and she could not describe it exactly.  She could only give general descriptions.  Prior to this, I had always dismissed her vague descriptions as a lack of clear memory of the dream, but in this instance, the dream was so vivid and intense, but the visuals she shared were not and it seemed incongruous.

As we pursued it, she, while trying to very carefully explain in detail how she perceives her dreams came to the realization herself that she doesn't actually see anything in her mind... ever.  She simply 'feels' it, or senses it.  When I ask her to imagine an apple on a plate.  There is no image in her mind of an apple, just the presence of the idea, or the concept.  When she is in a house in a dream, she just knows where the rooms are and how they are situated.  The feels the rooms and the presence of the furniture.

So I got motivated and found out that my wife has what is described as Aphantasia and it's not uncommon.  A significant percentage of humans do not possess the ability to visualize anything in their mind's eye. 

As a result, I've started an informal poll among coworkers... as I'm constantly working around new people depending on the project and location, I randomly ask them if they actually see images when they imagine/dream things, or not.  It's surprising to me, about 1 in 8 tell me they see nothing.  No images of any kind.   Liek my wife, they just sense it.  "i just feel it" is a common response. 

That is radically strange to me and utterly fascinating.  My dreams have always been as vivid as real life is to me.  I can count the petals on the flowers or the bolts in the structural metal of the buildings. 

Perhaps this is where some of the distinctively different takes on such processes stems from...

We are not all the same, no matter how much similarity we have as humans.

Charles Addams put it succinctly.

"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."

On a side note:  even among the non color blind, we don't all perceive colors the same.  Some of us perceive distinct variations of hues, particularly in the green and red range that others do not.

25% of the population are Dichromatic and have two receptor types in their vision.

50% are Trichromatic with three types and the remaining 25% are Tetrachromatic with four receptor.

simple test to see where you are on this list.

how many distinct hues do you perceive?

Spoiler

59694ad4f0719_howmanycolorsdoyousee.thumb.jpg.52347a01e317631be274ad2b34399ac8.jpg

<20   Dichromatic

21-32 Trichromatic

33-39 Tetrachromatic

Edited by quiXilver
grammar
  • Like 5

On ‎14‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 2:06 AM, Lucgrs said:

I'm not letting some kind of bias guide my way of thinking, I don't understand why you're trying to make it look like it. You say it's an hypnagogic hallucination, that's fine, that's a medical theory that was studied and such, once again it's a valid answer. But if someone comes up on here saying an invisible gnome drew that image on the back of my eyelids, that will also be a valid answer 

I think it is an invisible gnome drawing images on the back of your eyelids.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2017 at 5:12 PM, quiXilver said:

Many materialists proliferate this site and incessantly proclaim their surety of everyone's experiences.  It's a symptom of the times.  But with more than 99% of the universe beyond the ken of our perceptions, it seems arrogantly ignorant to burst about proclaiming one's self to be the holder of all truth in regards to experiences one has not had themselves.  <shrug>

I live in the questions more than the answers lately, as the answers never seem to hold up for long.  Take the medical field for example... not that long ago, folks were absolutely sure that letting the bad blood out of a patient would heal them and low and behold, sometimes they did indeed get better.

Material reality is merely very dense vibration.  Yet physics has seemingly proven that it is mostly empty space and frequencies of  vibration... in another 100 years, who knows what the definition will be...

We do the best we can with the faculties we have and your own insight into your experience is as valid as anyone elses.

What you describe sounds like third eye visions to me.  Strong visual experiences with eyes closed.  Inner vision.  The sight... many terms for it.  They can come on without warning and may hold no discernible connection, but I've found there is usually a connection somewhere behind them. 

I've experienced hypnagogic visions, where my eyes were open and my dreams continued playing out in real time in my living space while my body was paralyzed.

And I have had full waking visions where my eyes were closed my body was beyond sensation and I lived many days worth of experience in the time it took for the water in my shower to grow cold.

No idea for certain what you experienced or why.  But it sure is engaging and brings another dimension to life. 

Any more, to me, absolute certainty is the realm of the arrogant ignorant... and of that, I'm absolutely sure... (oh wait... darnit. :P)

Edited July 13 by quiXilver

Greetings.  I am a materialist, but I don't claim to have a surety for everyone's experiences.  I am not sure how a non-materialist can blithely state that 99% of the universe is beyond the ken of our perception, or state what material reality is or  what physicists think it is.   Public press throws out these feel good misconceptions, but that doesn't make them valid.  

One can make the argument that human beings have unique personalities, yet their brain structure and chemistry are very nearly identical.  People who delve into those sorts of things and perhaps interview hundreds or thousands of subjects may find some commonality in their responses and thus suggest that many people in the state described hypnagogic  experiences.  Maybe not the case with the OP, but odds are good for the common explanation.

To fall back on uniqueness, or desire to find one's own explanations can be a good thing.  It could also be self-limiting.    I suspect we have different opinions and life experience.  Perhaps we both seek knowledge in different ways.  I don't want to be too contentious, but suggest that you also may be a practitioner of smugness.

On 7/13/2017 at 11:19 PM, Lucgrs said:

I don't think you should listen to these opinions here. you may have great abilities that just need to grow. people will always try to give you doubt 

On 7/13/2017 at 4:19 PM, Lucgrs said:

Some weeks ago, I laid down in my bed at night and in an attempt to sleep faster, I relaxed my body and mind completely. That's when an image of a bedroom I've never been in before appeared in my head, as if I was looking at it with my eyes closed. The image wasn't super clear and I couldn't recognize small objects, but I could see some colors (dark tones only, maybe it was like a negative colored photo). The weirdest part, for me, was that it was like I had a VR box on, because when I moved my head I could see different parts of the room.

I searched the internet for similar cases and I've found out this may be something my third eye saw, but I don't know what this vision could mean, since it was very literal and not at all symbolic. So I'm thinking that maybe I saw something from the future, but I'm not sure.

Thoughts?

Look for the typical explanations first to skeptically rule them them out.

Some experiences are a beginning of developing an extra or enhanced awareness, but most are not.

The best advice I can give you if you think it's from your meditative states is to log the experience in as much detail as possible including how you were meditating. If it's a premonition type, you will have a log of the experience and be able  scrutinize it objectively in the future and what was true or important about the vision.