Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Was this a showcase of psychic abilities?

Lucgrs

Some weeks ago, I laid down in my bed at night and in an attempt to sleep faster, I relaxed my body and mind completely. That's when an image of a bedroom I've never been in before appeared in my head, as if I was looking at it with my eyes closed. The image wasn't super clear and I couldn't recognize small objects, but I could see some colors (dark tones only, maybe it was like a negative colored photo). The weirdest part, for me, was that it was like I had a VR box on, because when I moved my head I could see different parts of the room.

I searched the internet for similar cases and I've found out this may be something my third eye saw, but I don't know what this vision could mean, since it was very literal and not at all symbolic. So I'm thinking that maybe I saw something from the future, but I'm not sure.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

No.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Don't think so. Because 

1. I was not sleepy, let alone in a wakefulness to sleep transition

2. It was volatile and ended up slipping away eventually – probably because I got nervous and ruined my relaxed state – even though I tried to "hold" it. I'm not a psychiatrist, but from what I've heard about hallucinations that's not how they work.

27 minutes ago, toast said:

No.

You sound very sure.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Lucgrs said:

You sound very sure.

Because I am.

41 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Then the answer is no. 

To the title text? Why not? 

31 minutes ago, toast said:

Because I am.

Oh and why is that?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lucgrs said:

I laid down in my bed at night and in an attempt to sleep faster, I relaxed my body and mind completely.

Hypnagogia. A hallucination that occasionally happens on the onset of sleep.

34 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Hypnagogia. A hallucination that occasionally happens on the onset of sleep.

Yeah, I clicked the link. You're offering me a skeptical/scientifical approach and I understand your point of view, but I didn't come here to discuss medical stuff, you know? 

You said yourself you were trying to fall asleep but you won't accept something like a hypnagogic hallucination as a possible answer? 

• Like 1

Many materialists proliferate this site and incessantly proclaim their surety of everyone's experiences.  It's a symptom of the times.  But with more than 99% of the universe beyond the ken of our perceptions, it seems arrogantly ignorant to burst about proclaiming one's self to be the holder of all truth in regards to experiences one has not had themselves.  <shrug>

I live in the questions more than the answers lately, as the answers never seem to hold up for long.  Take the medical field for example... not that long ago, folks were absolutely sure that letting the bad blood out of a patient would heal them and low and behold, sometimes they did indeed get better.

Material reality is merely very dense vibration.  Yet physics has seemingly proven that it is mostly empty space and frequencies of  vibration... in another 100 years, who knows what the definition will be...

We do the best we can with the faculties we have and your own insight into your experience is as valid as anyone elses.

What you describe sounds like third eye visions to me.  Strong visual experiences with eyes closed.  Inner vision.  The sight... many terms for it.  They can come on without warning and may hold no discernible connection, but I've found there is usually a connection somewhere behind them. 

I've experienced hypnagogic visions, where my eyes were open and my dreams continued playing out in real time in my living space while my body was paralyzed.

And I have had full waking visions where my eyes were closed my body was beyond sensation and I lived many days worth of experience in the time it took for the water in my shower to grow cold.

No idea for certain what you experienced or why.  But it sure is engaging and brings another dimension to life. 

Any more, to me, absolute certainty is the realm of the arrogant ignorant... and of that, I'm absolutely sure... (oh wait... darnit. :P)

Edited by quiXilver
omit a double word and added sentences for clarity
  • Like 2

All we need is real evidence. I (and I'm sure others) would change my view. If nothing else it is what I've mentioned. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lucgrs said:

Some weeks ago, I laid down in my bed at night and in an attempt to sleep faster, I relaxed my body and mind completely. That's when an image of a bedroom I've never been in before appeared in my head, as if I was looking at it with my eyes closed. The image wasn't super clear and I couldn't recognize small objects, but I could see some colors (dark tones only, maybe it was like a negative colored photo). The weirdest part, for me, was that it was like I had a VR box on, because when I moved my head I could see different parts of the room.

I searched the internet for similar cases and I've found out this may be something my third eye saw, but I don't know what this vision could mean, since it was very literal and not at all symbolic. So I'm thinking that maybe I saw something from the future, but I'm not sure.

Thoughts?

Welcome to UM.

Please explain why this would have anything to do with psychic abilities? I don't understand.

22 minutes ago, Lucgrs said:

Yeah, I clicked the link. You're offering me a skeptical/scientifical approach and I understand your point of view, but I didn't come here to discuss medical stuff, you know? 

I gave you an explanation. If you want it to be some woo special I have super powers thing that's your prerogative.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SecretSanta said:

You said yourself you were trying to fall asleep but you won't accept something like a hypnagogic hallucination as a possible answer? 

It IS a possible answer. At first I politely discarded it, but it is a valid suggestion. I just want an answer from someone that analyzes it from a spiritual point of view. After all I'm in a forum called "Unexplained Mysteries", not in the WebMD message boards

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I gave you an explanation. If you want it to be some woo special I have super powers thing that's your prerogative.

Dude, I'm in a board called "Psychic Phenomena". If you're not here to talk about "woo special super powers" then you're the one who should move 

• Like 1

Just now, Lucgrs said:

Dude, I'm in a board called "Psychic Phenomena". If you're not here to talk about "woo special super powers" then you're the one who should move 

The title of the forum is Unexplained Mysteries. We are trying to explain the mystery. If you don't like the answers you're give that's fine with me. I gave you my explanation. To me it looks like. You're only wanting someone to confirm whatever you've made up in your mind that the event was. 

27 minutes ago, quiXilver said:

Many materialists proliferate this site and incessantly proclaim their surety of everyone's experiences.  It's a symptom of the times.  But with more than 99% of the universe beyond the ken of our perceptions, it seems arrogantly ignorant to burst about proclaiming one's self to be the holder of all truth in regards to experiences one has not had themselves.  <shrug>

I live in the questions more than the answers lately, as the answers never seem to hold up for long.  Take the medical field for example... not that long ago, folks were absolutely sure that letting the bad blood out of a patient would heal them and low and behold, sometimes they did indeed get better.

Material reality is merely very dense vibration.  Yet physics has seemingly proven that it is mostly empty space and frequencies of  vibration... in another 100 years, who knows what the definition will be...

We do the best we can with the faculties we have and your own insight into your experience is as valid as anyone elses.

What you describe sounds like third eye visions to me.  Strong visual experiences with eyes closed.  Inner vision.  The sight... many terms for it.  They can come on without warning and may hold no discernible connection, but I've found there is usually a connection somewhere behind them. 

I've experienced hypnagogic visions, where my eyes were open and my dreams continued playing out in real time in my living space while my body was paralyzed.

And I have had full waking visions where my eyes were closed my body was beyond sensation and I lived many days worth of experience in the time it took for the water in my shower to grow cold.

No idea for certain what you experienced or why.  But it sure is engaging and brings another dimension to life. 

Any more, to me, absolute certainty is the realm of the arrogant ignorant... and of that, I'm absolutely sure... (oh wait... darnit. :P)

Thank you!!! I was gonna edit the quote so my answer wouldn't be so long, but everything you said is too important to backspace. Who's to say there's only one explaination to things, right? "Absolute certainty is the realm of the arrogant and ignorant", those are wise words

30 minutes ago, Timonthy said:

Welcome to UM.

Please explain why this would have anything to do with psychic abilities? I don't understand.

Thank you. And well, that's exactly the same thing I'm asking: does that have anything to do with psychic abilities? 

• Like 2

The folks posting mundane stuff here have just as much right to say as the woo folks do. Unexplained mysteries can have many opinions, solutions, theories, and viewpoints. Fair and balanced discussion is always encouraged.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

The title of the forum is Unexplained Mysteries. We are trying to explain the mystery. If you don't like the answers you're give that's fine with me. I gave you my explanation. To me it looks like. You're only wanting someone to confirm whatever you've made up in your mind that the event was. 

I'm not letting some kind of bias guide my way of thinking, I don't understand why you're trying to make it look like it. You say it's an hypnagogic hallucination, that's fine, that's a medical theory that was studied and such, once again it's a valid answer. But if someone comes up on here saying an invisible gnome drew that image on the back of my eyelids, that will also be a valid answer 

• Like 1

Just now, XenoFish said:

So if I say a 5th dimensional monkey did it, that's a valid answer?

Of course, I didn't come here to shut anyone down. Did you? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lucgrs said:

Thoughts?

What about it makes you think that it is psychic phenomenon? What is your idea of what psychics are or can do? You said maybe the future, what made you think that?