Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Photobucket - not free now! Alternatives?

sees

Some of you may have found out about it this today...if not

https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/4/15919224/photobucket-broken-images-amazon-ebay-etsy-paid-update

I am one of the ones affected.  Hell no, not gonna pay that!!! 

Anyone know of free alternatives i.e. to edit photos?  Was told about imgur but I have discovered that it shrinks the image to half the size....

Oh...I just found this (not checked it out yet though)

http://www.topbestalternatives.com/photobucket/

and

http://www.techradar.com/news/the-best-free-photo-editor

Edited by sees
  • Like 1

is it? Oh, I haven't used that for years. It was absolute dreadful, as I recall. I don't know about editing and stuff like that, but I've found this a quite useful photo hosting service: https://www.pixum.co.uk/ 

(And there's GoOgle Photos as well of course, but again, I don't know how much editing you might want to do.)

• Like 1

Good info, I`m just downloading all my photob. images. And yeah, photobucket sucks.

• Like 1

Weird - plus and minuses.  

Minuses being that photobucket have hijacked a spiritual forum I am on! :o  Although it shows new posts (and, thankfully I am logged in else that facility would also be blocked), it blocks facilities like the homepage, PM, and search with their huge signs saying "please update your account to enable third party hosting.  For more important info please go to www.photobucket.com/P500"  Ha!  Please???  WTF!!!  I am pretty sure it must be illegal to block a forum that they don't own!  If this goes on for more than a day, I may check out what I can do about this e.g. via reporting them etc.  Anyone know if they can legally do this?

Plus factor being that I was able to login to photobucket and have transferred all the images I want to save....not sure if they will be erased though (i.e. from source) once I don't pay up ($400 annually - kidding right!?)  780422031.gif

Actually I just went to that website they give...goes to 'phantom bandit'!  Is photobucket being held to ransom by a hacker???   588401.gif

Edited by sees

6 hours ago, toast said:

Good info, I`m just downloading all my photob. images. And yeah, photobucket sucks.

Yes I've also transferred my photos from photobucket.  However, once they realise we're not gonna pay up, if they close/erase our accounts then won't this also erase them at their transferred place?  No way of ensuring this doesn't happen i.e. block that ability?

I have not used Photobucket since around 2012-2013, I prefer Imgur or Pinterest. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Scholar4Truth said:

I have not used Photobucket since around 2012-2013, I prefer Imgur or Pinterest. 

I really enjoy (or DID enjoy) Photobucket's editing facilities.

I read that Imgur shrinks the image....is that right?

Does Pinterest have editing facilities for photos?  (Not clear from what I can gather).

Edited by sees

ooops.gif  repeat post!

Edited by sees

2 hours ago, sees said:

I really enjoy (or DID enjoy) Photobucket's editing facilities.

I read that Imgur shrinks the image....is that right?

Does Pinterest have editing facilities for photos?  (Not clear from what I can gather).

Yes you can edit in Pinterest https://help.pinterest.com/en/articles/add-edit-or-delete-board# 

And this may help on how to shrink images on Imgur https://help.imgur.com/hc/en-us/articles/210077233-Editing-Images

Edited by Scholar4Truth

51 minutes ago, Scholar4Truth said:

Yes you can edit in Pinterest https://help.pinterest.com/en/articles/add-edit-or-delete-board# 

And this may help on how to shrink images on Imgur https://help.imgur.com/hc/en-us/articles/210077233-Editing-Images

Thanks but I meant editing a photo, e.g. adding colour, sharpness, cropping etc.

I was told that Imgur shrinks images i.e. without choice.

I've never used online image editors. I prefer to edit them myself with Photoshop, then upload them as needed.

If this suits your needs, GIMP is probably the most popular free alternative to Photoshop.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LV-426 said:

I've never used online image editors. I prefer to edit them myself with Photoshop, then upload them as needed.

If this suits your needs, GIMP is probably the most popular free alternative to Photoshop.

Thanks but I gave a link for alternatives and Gimp is on that.  It sounds a bit too professional for my basic needs so I have downloaded Photoscape.  Since I found I can still access my photobucket account and edit photos (weird, right!?) I have not looked into using Photoscape yet.

23 minutes ago, sees said:

Thanks but I meant editing a photo, e.g. adding colour, sharpness, cropping etc.

I was told that Imgur shrinks images i.e. without choice.

I use Imgur all the time. It does not shrink images. It's photo editor is also very easy to use.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sees said:

Yes I've also transferred my photos from photobucket.  However, once they realise we're not gonna pay up, if they close/erase our accounts then won't this also erase them at their transferred place?  No way of ensuring this doesn't happen i.e. block that ability?

I`ve read that hundreds of eBay/Amazon dealers faced the problem that their product photos were disconnected . Same problem is reported by bloggers and forum owners/members.

See Photobucket System and Website Status Updates

9 hours ago, toast said:

I`ve read that hundreds of eBay/Amazon dealers faced the problem that their product photos were disconnected . Same problem is reported by bloggers and forum owners/members.

See Photobucket System and Website Status Updates

Yes I read that too.  It seems hasty, cruel and premature that they erased this given that they have only just announced they want paying now!  Given that there are now better (and free) sites that offer what they do (only just discovered!), I would have thought their days are numbered. (I have now downloaded a couple...trying them out)

I still don't understand why they are hijacking a spiritual forum I am on, i.e. blocking facilities there.  Not sure they can legally do that even!!  Admittedly I blocked their email (in junk section - thought it was spam/hacker) when they recently mentioned 3rd party hosting...didn't realise what it meant!

Edited by sees

• 2 weeks later...

Test (imgur)

done.

Edited by toast

On 7/15/2017 at 5:33 AM, sees said:

Yes I read that too.  It seems hasty, cruel and premature that they erased this given that they have only just announced they want paying now!  Given that there are now better (and free) sites that offer what they do (only just discovered!), I would have thought their days are numbered. (I have now downloaded a couple...trying them out)

I still don't understand why they are hijacking a spiritual forum I am on, i.e. blocking facilities there.  Not sure they can legally do that even!!  Admittedly I blocked their email (in junk section - thought it was spam/hacker) when they recently mentioned 3rd party hosting...didn't realise what it meant!

If it's like what's happening on other sites, all they're doing is blocking link access to unpaid accounts, and since forums that don't have on-site photo hosting rely on that linking to display images (hence third-party), they don't show up. It's like trying to pick up one station that's gone off the air. Your radio still works but  the broadcast has gone dead. While we're at it, if you physically move your pics to another site they're not going to hunt you down and delete them.

Looks to me they slit their own throats. This is going to be the biggest mass exodus since facebook and tumblr took the wind out of LJ's sails.

• Like 2

Some of my images here got de-linket by photofuc**d and I have switched to imgur. Its 10 times faster and I have no problems to log-in like I had with pb often.

I am on PhotoScape now and find it pretty good, i.e. lots of facilities...only down point being that you can't store photos there (like you could with photobucket) i.e. they have to go back to pc files (once edited).

1 hour ago, toast said:

Some of my images here got de-linket by photofuc**d and I have switched to imgur. Its 10 times faster and I have no problems to log-in like I had with pb often.

Does it have an album storage facility like Photobucket has?

2 hours ago, bmk1245 said:

Well, just today used photobucket without any issues.

Yes I can still use it...but watch out - if you haven't paid, they can block your photos elsewhere with their adverts.  I'd rather not have that probability hanging over me so I prefer to not use them anymore.

Edited by sees

1 hour ago, sees said:

Yes I can still use it...but watch out - if you haven't paid, they can block your photos elsewhere with their adverts.  I'd rather not have that probability hanging over me so I prefer to not use them anymore.

Big deal... After all, I don't keep important pics there. If they will ask for $, I'll give them middle finger, **** them.

9 hours ago, sees said:

Does it have an album storage facility like Photobucket has?

Of course, look here.