Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why people think they see ghosts

Still Waters

On 7/27/2017 at 9:05 AM, OrdinaryClay said:

Actually, it's very inconvenient.

You are engaging in a classic path of fallacious reasoning - "stealing the concept" and "begging the question".

1) You define non-existence solely to suite your argument.

2) You presume the non-existence of the supernatural in order to discredit supernatural explanations.

I would say your course is an good example of psychological convenience.

Ha. This guy is all right B)

Edited by preacherman76

If you print this out on a piece of paper on both sides, how do you prove to someone else which side of the paper was the first to be printed? Unexplainable events simply means we are unable to repeat the event in an observable and measurable way. Perhaps no one could explain why a certain murder took place without repeating it exactly in a way we can observe and test against other motives. This is the problem with ghosts in particular. You can't really recreate an experience in a laboratory. All we can do for now is observe how it could be possible. Particle physics could or should be able to answer that question...if they can get enough results to weed out other theories of course.

So far the second law of thermodynamics holds true but we haven't even proven supersymmetry yet. Theres a number of things we have to prove first before we can even have a solid foundation for theoretical analysis of ghosts. Scale symmetry is a radical departure of how elementary particles acquire their properties. The idea that Higgs mass is not really there is interesting. Since the Hadron Collider has failed to yield quite a few theorized particles then supersymmetry may be wrong, so far it's basically failed. But at this point there's no room in the standard model of Physics for a substance or medium that can carry on our information after death, and yet go undetected in the Large Hadron Collider (LHC). But again there is much to discover out there still.

The largest caveat I find is that the second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of an isolated system always increases over time. Entropy is a measure of the randomness or disorder within a closed or isolated system, and the second law of thermodynamics states that as usable energy is lost, chaos increases - and without extra energy being put into a system, that progression towards disorder can never be reversed....so it's lost to heat, you can never get back all the energy that was put into it. The idea is that ghosts can't be made of matter so therefore they must be made of energy (why not something we don't know about that isn't quite energy?) but if energy is lost in every system...like if they are doing something that requires energy such as making scary noises, then it can't maintain its existence. However I consider the idea of recharging their energy using other sources, losing energy would deplete them in our world but perhaps force them into like say the 5th dimension or something? Science is bound by only what it can observe.

While we don't have solid proof that ghosts exist, we do have a ton of evidence to suggest it. We also have evidence to suggest that theories regarding spirits are not true..evidence, not proof since we still have much to discover apparently. Example, we know that when a person dies, the energy goes into the environment, released in the form of heat, transferred into any animal/plant..etc that eats. Cremated your energy is turned to light and heat. When the source of the energy stops, the electrical current stops. This doesn't disprove ghosts, but shows evidence that's not how ghosts operate and to assume the latter, we look at the enormous amount of evidence towards intelligent conscious yet unseen beings gathered by very respectable scientists in various fields...This is not including people's stories, ghost hunters..etc.

Though we know unexplainable events happen and that the pseudo-scientific explanation for them is likely not true but doesn't negate other possibilities.

I have read and heard of Joe Nickell on multiple subjects. I believe he has made a name for himself as a debunker (not a researcher). His goal is to do his best to discredit anything paranormal or alien and this effort has won him a willing audience. I have seen him explain away some strange evidence lamely in my opinion. If he can legitimately debunk something more power to him; when he can't he grasps for the best normal explanation he can find and tries to limit the discussion to that which he thinks he might be able to explain away.

I believe he is not interested in presenting a fair and full discussion because he always must end with the same conclusion; no reason here to believe this is anything paranormal/alien. I consider him a con artist for the skeptic's side.

Edited by papageorge1

Watched the video, mmm so there is no scientific proof of ghosts, ok !, but there is no scientific evidence gods exist yet people believe ! , there is no scientific evidence of afterlife yet people claim to have experienced it ! , im not sure what i believe in :)  i don't believe that when i die thats the end of it, i believe there is another dimension (not heaven or hell) so maybe i will be able to communicate with you all from there, i will keep you posted, keep your ouija boards near to hand :) ho hang on is there any scientific proof they work ? and is they do how ? , lol a can of worms :)

• 3 weeks later...

I was always interested in the paranormal but I couldn't really say if I believed or not. Until I saw. Wide awake. Nothing in my system to make me hallucinate.  However, when a friend or family member tells me of an experience I suddenly try to find the scientific reason as to why. Lol! Hypocrisy- apparently. Lol!