Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA admits it has no funds to land on Mars

Still Waters

For the last five years or so, NASA has sold the public on a Journey to Mars, a grand voyage by which the agency will land humans on the red planet during the 2030s. With just budgetary increases for inflation, the agency said, it had the resources for humanity's next great step, to land crews safely on Mars, and to bring them home. The agency's new rocket, the Space Launch System, and spacecraft, Orion, were sold by NASA administrator Charles Bolden as the vehicles that would get the job done.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/07/nasa-finally-admits-it-doesnt-have-the-funding-to-land-humans-on-mars/

• Like 2

It might be not the best of ideas, nasa could go for ads that could help them get some money and reduce the burden on government . The advertisers usually pay a lot for few inches on formula one cars, they would be willing to pay more for ad space on rockets. Nasa could also earn revenue by making videos like vblog during the entire process. this does not sound noble but it could get the job done.

• Like 2

If America could put aside its paranoia and work with China, instead of banning them from space cooperation, there would be no problem with funds and we could probably land people on Mars in 2020s.

• Like 2

Several billion here, several billion there, pretty soon we're talking real money.....

$20B a year in funding..gotta balance your budget appropriately NASA.

1 hour ago, Ashyne said:

If America could put aside its paranoia and work with China, instead of banning them from space cooperation, there would be no problem with funds and we could probably land people on Mars in 2020s.

Isn't China's space program budget like $2B or so? 2020's isn't happening.

Our leaders would much rather find newer and better ways of killing brown people.   Space is going to have be a world investment, as no one country can cover the full costs of developing space or pure science.  I keep hoping, to see more cooperation between nations when it comes to pure science.  I want to see somebody go to Mars and back. I don't care where they come from or who funds them, lets just do it.  (note, I said and back. I don't think anyone should go without a plan to bring them back.)  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ashyne said:

Why the big hurry?  It's not as if the fate of mankind depends on it, right?

6 hours ago, taniwha said:

Why the big hurry?

By the end of the 2020's it will have been sixty years since man landed on the moon and you consider this hurried. Just how slowly do you do things?

6 hours ago, taniwha said:

It's not as if the fate of mankind depends on it, right?

Wrong.

The ultimate fate of mankind is entirely dependent on us becoming a multi-planet species.

• Like 3

Sounds like a teen whining they don't have enough money because they chose to use it other ways. I'm more interested in the Moon.

• Like 2

Sorry to burst anyone bubble but Mars will not support life. I like the idea of exploration and discovery but this concept that we can go to Mars and thrive is ridiculous. Its a dead world!! I'm pretty sure the odds of surviving as a species on Earth is tremendously higher on Earth than on Mars.

• Like 3

Guest brizink

Thelion318... Thats exactly what I've been saying for a long long time, anything g we could do on Mars to basically block out the toxic atmosphere and maybe live u derground could just as easily be accomplished right here and so far as I can tell, it's a whole lot easier to deal with 120 degree days here on Earth (underground) than -200 degree nights on Mars. I mean our planet may be on track to become a Mars like world within a couple million years (if what the liberal science community says is real) but isn't even that prospect prove the earth more liveable than an already dead planet? It makes no sense to go to mars

Edited by brizink

15 hours ago, Grandpa Greenman said:

Space is going to have be a world investment, as no one country can cover the full costs of developing space or pure science.  I keep hoping, to see more cooperation between nations when it comes to pure science.  I want to see somebody go to Mars and back. I don't care where they come from or who funds them, lets just do it.  (note, I said and back. I don't think anyone should go without a plan to bring them back.)  

So true, I'm hoping we will be able to work together to do such a thing...

I mean, could you imagine how far we would have been if the USSR, and USA worked together back during their space race, instead of against each other? It makes me so sad, especially when you have a video game called "Prey" released this year, where they had an alternative history more advanced than our own.

1 hour ago, UFOwatcher said:

Sounds like a teen whining they don't have enough money because they chose to use it other ways. I'm more interested in the Moon.

A moon base or colony would be perfect. I actually saw an anime a few years ago (don't remember the name) where they were actually able to have a whole city (Either that or capital or maybe even a state/prefecture (Japanese based of course, but they didn't give much detail about it, so that's why I'm confused on what it exactly was)) built inside of the moon.

Shame we haven't thought of trying.

3 hours ago, UFOwatcher said:

Sounds like a teen whining they don't have enough money because they chose to use it other ways.

As a government agency NASA doesn't choose how they spend their money. Since the House of representatives, the Senate and the White House are all controlled by the same party, it is strictly speaking the Republicans who choose how much there is to spend and what to spend it on.

3 hours ago, UFOwatcher said:

I'm more interested in the Moon.

Why ?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, thelion318 said:

Sorry to burst anyone bubble but Mars will not support life. I like the idea of exploration and discovery but this concept that we can go to Mars and thrive is ridiculous. Its a dead world!!

We dont really know that yet.

Mars does have all the neccessary ingredients for life, unlike the Moon. There is no fundamental reason why we shouldn't be able to built habitats on Mars.

3 hours ago, thelion318 said:

I'm pretty sure the odds of surviving as a species on Earth is tremendously higher on Earth than on Mars.

We are adapted to live on Earth, but just because it will be more difficult to live on Mars doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

"Earth is the cradle of humanity, but one cannot live in a cradle forever" Konstantin Tsiolkovsky, 1911.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

As a government agency NASA doesn't choose how they spend their money. Since the House of representatives, the Senate and the White House are all controlled by the same party, it is strictly speaking the Republicans who choose how much there is to spend and what to spend it on.

Why ?

you forget obama cut funding to orion and nasa had to cut other programs to keep orion.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, danielost said:

you forget obama cut funding to orion and nasa had to cut other programs to keep orion.

The past is not really the point of this thread.

Secondly the House and Senate was republican during much of Obamas time in office and as I just said they decide NASA's budget. Even if he wanted to Obama couldn't have done much without money from congress could he ?

I'm not really trying to be partisan here, as non-americans I have no part in that fight, I am just stating the facts as they are. You are familiar with how politics work in your own country.................. aren't you ?

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

By the end of the 2020's it will have been sixty years since man landed on the moon and you consider this hurried. Just how slowly do you do things?

Wrong.

The ultimate fate of mankind is entirely dependent on us becoming a multi-planet species.

What an absurd belief to have.  You know this how? 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, thelion318 said:

Sorry to burst anyone bubble but Mars will not support life. I like the idea of exploration and discovery but this concept that we can go to Mars and thrive is ridiculous. Its a dead world!! I'm pretty sure the odds of surviving as a species on Earth is tremendously higher on Earth than on Mars.

I think differently. Colonising Mars and keeping people there full time makes sense if its used for mining and a spaceport for further exploration. If there is money involved then the cost of maintaining an artificial environment and convincing people to live in such becomes feasible. I wouldn't wanna live there but I'm sure others would. 

• Like 1

On 15/07/2017 at 4:21 PM, thelion318 said:

Sorry to burst anyone bubble but Mars will not support life.

Firstly that is by no means certain. The evidence is somewhat contradictory as to whether life could naturally survive on Mars.

Secondly there is a huge difference between a planet being unable to support life naturally and being able to support life with the aid of technology. Mars has the three main essentials to support plant life, sunlight, water and carbon dioxide, Pressurised green houses can be built, soil chemistry can be changed. If plants can be grown on Mars then human habitation is possible.

Whilst it is possible that Mars IS a dead world, it is not logical to think that it must remain so.

• Like 3

On 16/07/2017 at 10:39 AM, taniwha said:

What an absurd belief to have.

Wow, accusing other people of absurd beliefs, that's the kettle calling the pot black. Have you ever actually read the crap you post?

If my beliefs are absurd then I am in good company. Here are some quotes from people that you may think are absurd, but all are experts and some are considered geniuses:

I don't think the human race will survive the next thousand years, unless we spread into space. There are too many accidents that can befall life on a single planet. But I'm an optimist. We will reach out to the stars. - Stephen Hawking (physicist)

I believe that life on Earth is at an ever-increasing risk of being wiped out by a disaster, such as a sudden nuclear war, a genetically engineered virus, or other dangers. I think the human race has no future if it doesn’t go to space. - Stephen Hawking

The future of humanity is going to bifurcate in two directions for life as we know it. Either it’s going to become multiplanetary, or it’s going to remain confined to one planet and eventually there’s going to be an extinction event. - Elon Musk (founder of SpaceX)

An asteroid or a supervolcano could certainly destroy us, but we also face risks the dinosaurs never saw: An engineered virus, nuclear war, inadvertent creation of a micro black hole, or some as-yet-unknown technology could spell the end of us. - Elon Musk

If this species is to survive indefinitely, we need to become a multi-planet species. One reason we need to go to Mars is so that we can learn a little bit about living on other planets ... Mars is a steppingstone in the steppingstone approach to other solar systems and other galaxies and things that people have always dreamed of but frequently don't talk about. - Charles Bolden (former astronaut and former NASA administrator)

In the long run, a single-planet species will not survive. One day, I don't know when, but one day, there will be more humans living off the Earth than on it. - Mike Griffin (former NASA administrator)

As long as we are a single-planet species, we are vulnerable to extinction by a planetwide catastrophe, natural or self-induced. Once we become a multiplanet species, our chances to live long and prosper will take a huge leap skyward. - David Grinspoon (astrobiologist)

The Earth is just too small and fragile a basket for the human race to keep all its eggs in. - Robert Heinlein (science fiction author)

Since, in the long run, every planetary civilization will be endangered by impacts from space, every surviving civilization is obliged to become spacefaring--not because of exploratory or romantic zeal, but for the most practical reason imaginable: staying alive... If our long-term survival is at stake, we have a basic responsibility to our species to venture to other worlds. - Carl Sagan (astronomer, cosmologist, astrophysicist, astrobiologist and author)

On 16/07/2017 at 10:39 AM, taniwha said:

You know this how? 

Learning and thinking.

• Like 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcdDb-cbadw

8 hours ago, The Silver Thong said:

Link doesn't work.

Edit: Strangely it does work when I quote it. 

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy

On 7/15/2017 at 2:34 PM, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

The past is not really the point of this thread.

Secondly the House and Senate was republican during much of Obamas time in office and as I just said they decide NASA's budget. Even if he wanted to Obama couldn't have done much without money from congress could he ?

I'm not really trying to be partisan here, as non-americans I have no part in that fight, I am just stating the facts as they are. You are familiar with how politics work in your own country.................. aren't you ?

the past is important if your going to blame a president  blame the correct one. not his first term when he cut the funding.  he had house and senate.  which is why obamacare passed.

Edited by danielost

26 minutes ago, danielost said:

the past is important if your going to blame a president  blame the correct one. not his first term when he cut the funding.  he had house and senate.  which is why obamacare passed.

If you go back you will find that I wasn't blaming the president, I was merely commenting of UFOwatcher who seemed to believe that NASA is responsible for deciding what to do with their funding. They aren't.

On 15/7/2017 at 8:30 PM, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Is there anything factually wrong in what I wrote here ?