Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Young experience

Slyvy

Hello

I'm new to this website and joined out of my fascination with the idea of cryptids, spirits, and the General unknown. This fascination sprouted from an expierence I couldn't my father couldn't explain to me as a child while camping in the North Geroegia wilderness.

My parents are divorced, and as a child I only saw my dad sparsely throughout the year, maybe two or three times. Whenever I was visiting him, we would always do something exciting. One of these visits, when I was at the age of seven, I asked to go camping. So my father drove him and I to the blue ridge mountains in north Georgia. It was a truly beautiful camp site we had set up, two tents placed in a clearing around a fire ring. About 30 feet away downhill was a small creek, and tall trees surrounded us.

We weren't completely secluded, we were only about 4 miles away from a small town called Elijah, and our campsite was off a trail. So it's not like we were in the middle of nowhere. So after a fun filled day of learning to fish, hiking, and making smores, I decided to retire for the nightinot my tent. My father decided to stay out and tend to the fire for a while.

After about an hour or so, I was almost asleep, when I heard my father start pacing around the campsite. I opened the flap slowly to peer out and see what he was doing. I could see him walking the perimeter of our campsite shining a flashlight into the tree lines. I could hear him shouting something along the lines of "If someone's out there, I have a loaded firearm and I'm not alone." Or something similar to that, I can't exactly remember percosely what he said. What I do remember is seeing him freeze in place as I heard what sounded like a large branch being slowly snapped of a tree. I was slightly frightened, but my seven year old mind put it down as "Dad's talking to someone like a hiker or maybe a ranger or something, and maybe they were just pushing aside a branch."

But we were on private property owned by my dad's coworker's family, not a state park. It was also very late at night so a hiker seemed improbable. My seven year old mind didn't think about this though, and I continued to watch.

My father continued to stand still before glancing at his tent and then mine. He noticed my open flap and saw my curious eyes. He slowly began to step over to my tent while watching the tree line. He began to whisper "Get back to bed" to me. I asked him what was going on out of curiosity and slight fear.

This next part is what my father couldn't explain to me. Not even two seconds after my father took his eyes off the trees to look at me, I heard the loudest, most bonechilling Howl I've ever heard. It sounded like that of a dog letting out a loud, prolonged bark, and also a somewhat primal mammal shriek that you would hear in a horror movie or a video game. It seemed unreal to me, and it traumatized me. I screamed at the top of my lungs and began to furiously cry and panic. My father darted into my tent and grasped me, pulling me out into his tent. My eyes were shut as I hid my head into his shoulder.

We sat in his tent, for the rest of the night. It took me a good 2 hours to calm down and eventually I fell asleep in my fathers arms. He did not get a wink of sleep that night as he sat up, revolver loaded, on watch all night.

My dad never could explain what exactly it was that made that howl, and whenever I asked him as a child he would just tell me that it was a wild animal. But as I grew older he finally told me that he was fairly certain it wasn't any wild animal he knew of.

This event sparked a Facination with the unknown that still makes me wonder today. If anyone can explain this, or tell me what creature this may have been, please let me know. I have listened to recorded howls of Sasquatch, and I didnt sound like that. It wasn't a deep echoey wave of a shout. It was a shrill howl that was somewhat high pitched yet also deep. I'm not explaining it well, but I'll never forget what it sounded like.

• Like 4

Have listened to nocturnal bird sounds? Some owls sound scary.

Also foxes make some creepy sounds.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, SecretSanta said:

Have listened to nocturnal bird sounds? Some owls sound scary.

Also foxes make some creepy sounds.

I listened to some owl shrieks and it wasn't quite like that. This was more of a loud shout that had a somewhat shrill bark effect. It was somewhat prolonged and very very loud.

@Slyvy  long time back I read a short excerpt  about a English hunter in India during the colonial period  , its about a eerie sound from jungle and the village is terrified and the hunter gets interested in it, what happens next is he investigates it. I will try to find the link if I  can as I read it in a book. 

• Like 1

Foxes sound really weird when the're calling each other

• Like 3

I've had something similar happen during a couple hunting trips I've been on. Early morning still pitch black walking to a tree stand. Never did figure out what that was. 

• Like 2

On 7/14/2017 at 2:00 PM, Slyvy said:

*snip*

Welcome to UM and thanks for sharing your story. Sorry I can't say what the animal was that made that sound. It would be hard to tell for sure unless your dad saw the thing with his flashlight. I think he made the best choice of going into the tent with you and standing guard. It's better to be safe than curious in remote camping areas. 

Edited by Daughter of the Nine Moons
redundant quote
  • Like 1

On 7/14/2017 at 2:00 PM, Slyvy said:

*snip*

It wasn't a monster, it was something that loved you and your father very much that just used the tools available to get both of you your fondest desire realized.

In your father's safe and loving arms for the night in his tent.

Edited by Daughter of the Nine Moons
redundant quote
  • Like 1

So after listening to various recommended animal sounds, I couldn't find one that sounded like what I heard. The closest was maybe the fox calls, but that was still a big stretch. The sound had more of a shriek sound to it as well as the ressenance of a prolonged bark like howl. It's hard to describe it, but I'm still listening to animal sounds from mammals in north Georgia and the blue ridge area.

• Like 1

It was probably the mating call of the southeastern bigfoot.:lol:

Joking aside, mostly likely just a wild animal. The distorted shrieking could have been it dying.

• Like 1

Sorry it was scary but what a wonderful memory of safety and love. I don't know what could have made that sound though. I haven't been camping much. Though i almost called the police for a peacock I thought it was a woman screaming for help. 

Welcome to UM Slyvy and thanks for sharing. Did you ever go camping again after that?

• 2 weeks later...

On 7/17/2017 at 9:02 PM, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

Welcome to UM Slyvy and thanks for sharing. Did you ever go camping again after that?

Yes I have gone camping a few times since then. Ive gone with either friends or just alone sometimes, but I've never expierence anything like that again.

Likely a fox...or other wild animal. But this happened when you were 7, how old are you now?