Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Your most hated argument?

Reilly.

9 hours ago, stereologist said:

Just to be clear here nothing travels faster than light in a vacuum. Check out Cherenkov radiation in which matter can travel faster than light in something other than a vacuum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherenkov_radiation

Okay...I read it.  And you are correct that CR can travel faster than light in something other than a vacuum...but you must...and I know that you do...but other casual readers may not understand that...The speed of light in a Vacuum is 186,200 mps. Nothing...not even CR has ever exceeded the variable c which is...the speed of light in a vacuum.

In other words...Light travels slower through a medium like water for instance.   All you said  really is that CR travels faster through a dielectric medium than light travels through a dielectric medium...in either case c, or the speed of light in a vacuum has not been exceeded...which is what I am talking about.

44 minutes ago, joc said:

Okay...I read it.  And you are correct that CR can travel faster than light in something other than a vacuum...but you must...and I know that you do...but other casual readers may not understand that...The speed of light in a Vacuum is 186,200 mps. Nothing...not even CR has ever exceeded the variable c which is...the speed of light in a vacuum.

In other words...Light travels slower through a medium like water for instance.   All you said  really is that CR travels faster through a dielectric medium than light travels through a dielectric medium...in either case c, or the speed of light in a vacuum has not been exceeded...which is what I am talking about.

CR does not travel faster than light in medium. CR is limited to the speed light travels in a medium. It is possible for matter to e traveling faster through a medium than light can travel. In some circumstances the result is CR.

You are correct that matter cannot travel as fast as light in a vacuum.

EM, of which light is a type, travels approximately at 2/3 c as it goes down a copper wire. Messages can e sent around a building quickly and there is no collision as when wireless is used. There are advantages to using wireless in our wireless world.

1 minute ago, stereologist said:

CR does not travel faster than light in medium. CR is limited to the speed light travels in a medium. It is possible for matter to e traveling faster through a medium than light can travel. In some circumstances the result is CR.

You are correct that matter cannot travel as fast as light in a vacuum.

EM, of which light is a type, travels approximately at 2/3 c as it goes down a copper wire. Messages can e sent around a building quickly and there is no collision as when wireless is used. There are advantages to using wireless in our wireless world.

From the Wikisite you linked:

Cherenkov radiation results when a charged particle, most commonly an electron, travels through a dielectric (electrically polarizable) medium with a speed greater than that at which light propagates in the same medium.

Whatever I said, whatever you said, however we said it...the above sentence is what we are talking about...agreed?

And to clarify...when I speak of traveling at the speed of light...I am talking about us, man, traversing the stars at speeds equaling or surpassing the speed of light.  That is the argument that I hate ...to be specific.  So, in my argument, wormholes, warped space and such being excluded as portals of travel...specifically...no living form, nowhere in the universe can traverse the universe at the speed of light or speeds warped faster than the speed of light. It never can happen because ... electrodynamics holds that the speed of light in a vacuum is a universal constant (c).

1 minute ago, joc said:

From the Wikisite you linked:

Cherenkov radiation results when a charged particle, most commonly an electron, travels through a dielectric (electrically polarizable) medium with a speed greater than that at which light propagates in the same medium.

Whatever I said, whatever you said, however we said it...the above sentence is what we are talking about...agreed?

And to clarify...when I speak of traveling at the speed of light...I am talking about us, man, traversing the stars at speeds equaling or surpassing the speed of light.  That is the argument that I hate ...to be specific.  So, in my argument, wormholes, warped space and such being excluded as portals of travel...specifically...no living form, nowhere in the universe can traverse the universe at the speed of light or speeds warped faster than the speed of light. It never can happen because ... electrodynamics holds that the speed of light in a vacuum is a universal constant (c).

The speed of light is a constant in cases in which it has been measured. Furthermore, the implications of the constancy of the speed of light in a vacuum have led to predictions which have also all turned out to be verified. Relativity tells us that a particle must reach an unbounded mass as it moves towards c.

I do not believe that electrodynamics is applicable. That is the study of charged particles in motion.

40 minutes ago, stereologist said:

The speed of light is a constant in cases in which it has been measured. Furthermore, the implications of the constancy of the speed of light in a vacuum have led to predictions which have also all turned out to be verified. Relativity tells us that a particle must reach an unbounded mass as it moves towards c.

I do not believe that electrodynamics is applicable. That is the study of charged particles in motion.

Okay...when we reach a speed of say, .01 percent of the speed of light in a vacuum...let me know....