Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Your most hated argument?

Reilly.

10 minutes ago, badeskov said:

That is indeed a classic...."it was covered up". Oh, ok, you know this how since it was covered up?

Cheers,
Badeskov

Back in the Satanic Panic days, there was a guy who went out in the woods and proclaimed there had to have been a ritual slaying because there was no evidence of it. 

• Like 3

I don't "hate" any of them. I love science fiction.

• Like 3

For me its religion and someones opinion that you must believe it is the way they see it. "its in the bible ya know". to which i give off a hardy "har,har." 

the-bible-for-all-its-riches-is-not-a-document-of-social-history-quote-1.jpg

Edited by jamesjr191
  • Like 3

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 1:38 AM, Reilly. said:

What Popular Arguments do you see the most and always make you roll your eyes?

For me it is...

The whole idea that just because you've mastered space travel you have escaped human error and bad luck bugs the hell out of me. Like, it is like saying your car can't crash because you can drive across state. It just bugs the hell out of me whenever I see it, I always find myself respecting the person a little bit less.

The Earth is flat and everything you have been taught is a lie! does it for me.

• Like 2

Another disliked argument is the:

Here is a tall tale I want to tell you.  I will not provide anything to support my tall tale. If you feel the need go ahead and see if you can find out anything about it. If you find anything negative about it don't post it.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, stereologist said:

Here is a tall tale I want to tell you.  I will not provide anything to support my tall tale. If you feel the need go ahead and see if you can find out anything about it. If you find anything negative about it don't post it.

Or they ask for an explanation but reject anything that doesn't fit the conclusion they've already invented in their head.

• Like 7

What bugs me is the commonly held belief that UFO's = Aliens. I think most can agree that UFO's are a thing, but assuming aliens is foolish. Not saying some may NOT be, but there are many things that point to them being something else entirely. WIthout going into a detailed explanation, if you have read anything by Jacque Vallee or John Keel, or know about Skinwalker Ranch, you know what I am talking about

• Like 6

The idea that it is possible to traverse the Universe at the Speed of Light...especially...FASTER than the speed of light.

Is there anything in the Universe that travels faster than the speed of light?  Is there anything else in the Universe that travels anywhere near the speed of light?  :no:

..... the fastest speed any human has ever traveled relative to the Earth was set by Apollo 10, which reached 39,897 kph. That's approximately 0.0037% the speed of light.
For comparison, the fastest unmanned craft ever launched to date is the Helios 2 solar probe, launched in 1976, which reached approximately 252,792 kph during a slingshot flyby. That only works out to 0.023% light speed....

Link

• Like 1

4 hours ago, joc said:

The idea that it is possible to traverse the Universe at the Speed of Light...especially...FASTER than the speed of light.

Is there anything in the Universe that travels faster than the speed of light?  Is there anything else in the Universe that travels anywhere near the speed of light?  :no:

..... the fastest speed any human has ever traveled relative to the Earth was set by Apollo 10, which reached 39,897 kph. That's approximately 0.0037% the speed of light.
For comparison, the fastest unmanned craft ever launched to date is the Helios 2 solar probe, launched in 1976, which reached approximately 252,792 kph during a slingshot flyby. That only works out to 0.023% light speed....

Link

4 Things That Currently Break the Speed of Light Barrier

http://bigthink.com/dr-kakus-universe/what-travels-faster-than-the-speed-of-light

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Vlawde said:

What bugs me is the commonly held belief that UFO's = Aliens. I think most can agree that UFO's are a thing, but assuming aliens is foolish. Not saying some may NOT be, but there are many things that point to them being something else entirely. WIthout going into a detailed explanation, if you have read anything by Jacque Vallee or John Keel, or know about Skinwalker Ranch, you know what I am talking about

Couldn't agree more. Back when I had my sighting I couldn't help but to think if it was possible for man to create a flying saucer, it would probably look just like the one I saw. 

When someone writes a half page story explaining their  alleged ghost or alien encounter...then when we uncover the flaws and start  pointing them out, they add bits on which were never in the op and should have been.

And a real roll eye  is when they ask for logical explanations and answers.....we give them and because it is not paranormal based, they get all upset.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 5

On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 3:53 PM, stereologist said:

Lol, the "why are you here on UM"  bit is always a cop out for some when their story falls apart quicker than a tent in a landslide.

but for sure the "do not post on here" bit is just  scepticalistaismaphobia. (Do not look that one up, its not in google.....yet)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, freetoroam said:

Lol, the "why are you here on UM"  bit is always a cop out for some when their story falls apart quicker than a tent in a landslide.

but for sure the "do not post on here" bit is just  scepticalistaismaphobia. (Do not look that one up, its not in google.....yet)

The overt request for censorship is always a hated argument. Interestingly enough many people demanding censorship do not think that is what they are doing.

On 8/1/2017 at 3:58 AM, seeder said:

4 Things That Currently Break the Speed of Light Barrier

http://bigthink.com/dr-kakus-universe/what-travels-faster-than-the-speed-of-light

1. The Big Bang Theory is exactly that...theory.no basis in fact.
2. The Flash Light waving is an absurd example of a nothingness answer...it's like...if I fart in space do I weigh  lighter?
3. Again theory... Quantum Theory..theory none the less...I mean really...Theoretically we could build a warp light space ship...reality please.
4. Negative matter....oh yeah...duh forgot about that one...and we send messages that way to whom and when?  Theory...

So...the synopsis of your post is...theoretically things can go faster that the speed of light.
In reality...uh...notsomuch...

16 minutes ago, joc said:

2. The Flash Light waving is an absurd example of a nothingness answer...it's like...if I fart in space do I weigh  lighter?
3. Again theory... Quantum Theory..theory none the less...I mean really...Theoretically we could build a warp light space ship...reality please.
4. Negative matter....oh yeah...duh forgot about that one...and we send messages that way to whom and when?  Theory...

So...the synopsis of your post is...theoretically things can go faster that the speed of light.

do not misunderstand the word theory. Thats a schoolboy error in over simplifying words without truly understanding them. ....Theory and fact are virtually  interchangeable. and thats a fact!

Edited by seeder
  • Like 1

for example....is evolution a fact or a theory?   Its BOTH!

For intelligent readers perhaps, but do try giving it a go....it will do you good to break thru outdated assumptions

15 minutes ago, joc said:

"It's just a theory!" is one of my biggest pet peeves. Ken Ham's classic "Where you there?" is a close second.

• Like 4

Just now, Carnoferox said:

"It's just a theory!" is one of my biggest pet peeves. Ken Ham's classic "Where you there?" is a close second.

When I was going through my christian phase that "were you there?" mantra was pounded into our brains as a means of disputing the age of the earth and evolution. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

When I was going through my christian phase that "were you there?" mantra was pounded into our brains as a means of disputing the age of the earth and evolution. 

The thing that bugs me is that you could turn right around and ask a creationist the same question back.

• Like 3

On 7/15/2017 at 0:38 AM, Reilly. said:

What Popular Arguments do you see the most and always make you roll your eyes?

For me it is...

The whole idea that just because you've mastered space travel you have escaped human error and bad luck bugs the hell out of me. Like, it is like saying your car can't crash because you can drive across state. It just bugs the hell out of me whenever I see it, I always find myself respecting the person a little bit less.

Political and religious arguments can get me riled up at times.

I am a conservative and I am basically nonreligious.

Best I avoid these topics. But sometimes it can be hard to.

alien-logic.thumb.jpg.f2e1ac1df2bb3fc8c572d1d9f17c6c5a.jpg

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Carnoferox said:

But the poster did make me wonder if we would weigh lighter if we fart (Space)

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Carnoferox said:

Okay then how about this....Show me where anything in this Universe has traveled at a speed faster than light.  To the point though...we have at this latest phase of our technological advancement...traveled at speeds as high as...somewhere around .001 the speed of light.  And yet, we boast we have the capabilities of achieving warp light speeds??

...and if you do fart in space at warp speed...will said fart waft or stand still?

Edited by joc