Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Swords & spears now legal to carry in Texas

The Caspian Hare

I love Texans! B)

http://www.click2houston.com/news/texas-repeals-ban-on-illegal-knives-allows-carrying-of-swords

SAN ANTONIO - Until this summer it was illegal in Texas to carry a weapon named for one of the prominent heroes in the Texas Revolution.

But on Sept. 1, that will change, as House Bill 1935 -- known as the "Texas Knife Law Reform Bill" -- goes into effect.

Signed by Texas Gov. Greg Abbott on June 15, HB 1935 repeals the ban on daggers, including dirks, stilettos and poniards, swords, spears and, yes, Bowie knives.

With the passing of this bill, these knives may be carried anywhere in Texas except in places such as schools, colleges, correctional facilities, houses of worship and bars. Minors are also restricted from carrying these knives.

Edited by The Russian Hare
copy paste error
  • Like 7

My Dad was a Texans...most peaceful and tolerant man you'd ever meet. He had a Bowie knife and a rifle in the house at all times.

• Like 5

Should be useful when it comes to dealing with those pesky Mayans.

• Like 1

You mean spears executed by Goldberg, Edge or Roman Reigns? :rolleyes:

39 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Should be useful when it comes to dealing with those pesky Mayans.

The Bowie would be useful in any hand-to-hand combat.  There's a reason we still know a particular blade by name ;)  Next to the Kabar and the Arkansas toothpick, no knife has a better reputation.  And the Bowie and Toothpick were made by the same smith - http://arkansasroadstories.com/bowie.html

• Like 3

Another of about a million and a half forgotten and worthless laws left over from the 1800s that make no sense in the modern world. 

Sometimes I think it would be better to just do a tear-down and total rebuild than it would be to comb out all the garbage. 

• Like 2

What a fascinating place Texas must be. Guns, knives and swords. Police get called out to an emergency and not know who to shoot. Apart from Officer Mohammad Noor... he'd shoot all the pretty blondes wearing pyjamas. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

What a fascinating place Texas must be. Guns, knives and swords. Police get called out to an emergency and not know who to shoot. Apart from Officer Mohammad Noor... he'd shoot all the pretty blondes wearing pyjamas. 

It is most definitely fascinating.

Would you like to visit us?

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

Be sure to record the visit Z lol

I'm sure it will be a terrifying experience for one,but absolute comedy gold for those who get to watch it :lol:

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CrimsonKing said:

Be sure to record the visit Z lol

I'm sure it will be a terrifying experience for one,but absolute comedy gold for those who get to watch it :lol:

I'll be sure to have a full charge on my phone.:whistle:

• Like 4

• The title was changed to Swords & spears now legal to carry in Texas

Texas is great (been there a few times). My Dad's family lived in Amarillo and I recall visiting there a few times. I remember going out horseback riding and going to see a rodeo, great times for a kid.

• Like 2

Swords and spears?

Try getting a Concealed Carry Permit for one of those babies! :w00t:

• Like 1

Good good we have to prepare people for the zombie apocalypse 

I was born in El Paso and got to visit the state as an adult a few times, and their motto is absolutely true- you don't mess with Texas! They're the nicest people anywhere and tough as nails. I wish I could've grown up there. Yay, Texas!

• Like 3

I used to have a neighbor years ago who was a warrior priest for some obscure religion and ha a special specially permit to carry a broad sword.  I wish I could remember the name of the religion.  The guy was built like Conan and went everywhere with that thing strapped to his back (usually while riding a mountain bike). 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, OverSword said:

I used to have a neighbor years ago who was a warrior priest for some obscure religion and ha a special specially permit to carry a broad sword.  I wish I could remember the name of the religion.  The guy was built like Conan and went everywhere with that thing strapped to his back (usually while riding a mountain bike). 

I tried googling this warrior sword religion but nothing came up. Any chance of anymore information...

23 hours ago, .ZZ. said:

I  have, and I like it.... but I didn't stay long.

The people are terrific, and unique. Love the women, but ... the real-estate is just horrendous. The climate is even worse.

It seems as if the more pleasant the environment is, the less pleasant the people are in this country.

What's up with that? 

9 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

I tried googling this warrior sword religion but nothing came up. Any chance of anymore information...

are you looking for another avatar pic and user name by any chance -- :D -- just a thought I had when I read your post - 

57 minutes ago, bee said:

are you looking for another avatar pic and user name by any chance -- :D -- just a thought I had when I read your post - 

I really don't know what you are trying to say. Please explain?

10 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

1 minute ago, Captain Risky said:

I really don't know what you are trying to say. Please explain?

just what I said - that you could be interested in the info because you might want to use it for your avatar - that's all - 

Just now, bee said:

just what I said - that you could be interested in the info because you might want to use it for your avatar - that's all - 

what a strange thing to say. let me tell you something. my interest in finding out about the sword religion is strictly out of curiosity. and not about looking for another identity. I'm very comfortable in this current allias. In fact I'm the nicest and most peaceful bloke you will ever meet. I hate most forms of violence. and have a low opinion of those that carry out most forms of violence. religion should be peaceful and contemplative in nature and in no way would i associate with any religion that condoned carrying a sword while riding a bike. Which i find above all dangerous. something about running with sharp objects...

8 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

what a strange thing to say. let me tell you something. my interest in finding out about the sword religion is strictly out of curiosity. and not about looking for another identity. I'm very comfortable in this current allias. In fact I'm the nicest and most peaceful bloke you will ever meet. I hate most forms of violence. and have a low opinion of those that carry out most forms of violence. religion should be peaceful and contemplative in nature and in no way would i associate with any religion that condoned carrying a sword while riding a bike. Which i find above all dangerous. something about running with sharp objects...

crikey - I was only having a little tease / joke - 

sorry if you took it any other way - and it annoyed you -

you're present avatar does say KICK IT RIP IT ..... :huh:

but enough of all that - or I'll get myself into trouble again - 

I think it's evening where you are so have a good rest of the evening -

8 minutes ago, bee said:

crikey - I was only having a little tease / joke - 

sorry if you took it any other way - and it annoyed you -

you're present avatar does say KICK IT RIP IT ..... :huh:

but enough of all that - or I'll get myself into trouble again - 

I think it's evening where you are so have a good rest of the evening -

no i didn't get offended. just thought it wasn't topical and wanted to understand where you were coming from. and now that i do just trying to reassure you that if you have any preconceived notions about my avatar and me that it is just about a character that parody's a stuntman/action man/ daredevil. on telly that does insurance adds.. which i find amusing. Kick it rip it, is just Captain Risky's motto. not mine.

Edited by Captain Risky
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

no i didn't get offended. just thought it wasn't topical and wanted to understand where you were coming from. and now that i do just trying to reassure you that if you have any preconceived notions about my avatar and me that it is just about a character that parades a stuntman/action man/ daredevil. on telly that does insurance adds.. which i find amusing. Kick it rip it, is just Captain Risky's motto. not mine.

oh ok --- lol at Captain Risky :D

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

No.  This was back in the early 90's and what I know about it I learned from asking a cop why they let that guy carry a sword who told me he was a priest of some weird religion and he had a special license.

• Like 1