Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woman wrecks $200,000 art while taking selfie

Still Waters

She's s bloody idiot! She should have known better! 

• Like 5

I don't get why it's hailed as the perfect place for a selfie!?  588401.gif

I guess this is not how she wishes to be remembered.  Hmmm....

Some art is overrated and the artist sometimes is having a laugh at our expense....I suspect as much here.

• Like 3

Her friend pushed tipped her over ( joking ) , Why would she stoop down that low in the first place ?  She's prolly kicked herself in that bubble booty after she seen what she did.

• Like 2

how and why that crap is worth that much makes me laugh

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Saru said:

I would argue that the exhibit should have been better protected, it looked like an accident waiting to happen.

Agreed.  Even local grocery stores that sell wine will not allow customers to enter that area on motorized carts.  It's common sense.  Too bad it isn't so common any longer :( 

• Like 3

If it costs so much, why in the world they didn't install the rope fence? No one of the visitors signs any paper about taking risks, so logically now it's the exhibit organizers who are to take all the expenses.

• Like 2

I'm one of those that think the art industry is largely a bunch of BS fostered by egos and overpriced trinkets.  They say $200,000 in damages but the real value is probably around a grand at most.  If they actually had a million dollars worth of appreciation for those art pieces they wouldn't have had them so precariously balanced on pedestals but would have had them anchored to the floor.  Not even the art community appreciates the art for it's claimed value, they know it's all BS.  Then they try to make a quick profit by claiming $200,000 in damages?  Yea right...such BS.

I thought the video was hilarious.

Edited by Noxasa
  • Like 2

Why would you go to an art exhibition and feel the need to take a selfie? Of all the self absorbed notions that exist nowadays, this is the most ridiculous. Folk fall of cliffs, down holes, off buildings, in front of vehicles all so they can show themselves with some stupid look on their faces, a daft pout or that phony peace sign. I hope they sue her. Maybe she'll be the first step in the realization that no one wants to see your stupid selfie pose.

Edited by mesuma
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, mesuma said:

Maybe she'll be the first step in the realization that no one wants to see your stupid selfie pose.

It's pretty obvious that there are plenty of people who want  to see other people's stupid selfie poses. 

• Like 1

They should take away their cell phones. Make them pay for damage with the payment they were making on their phones each month until it is paid off.

• Like 1

The mantel display blocks should have been anchored more securely. Even if someone had accidentally bumped the display, the same domino's effect probably would have occurred. I blame the organisers of the exhibition for this blooper. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Astra. said:

The mantel display blocks should have been anchored more securely. Even if someone had accidentally bumped the display, the same domino's effect probably would have occurred. I blame the organisers of the exhibition for this blooper. 

It still doesn't excuse other idiot selfie takers who fall off cliffs and take massive amounts of the city or county budget to rescue them. When you climb over safety railings and walk past warning signs you should have to pay. :rolleyes:

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Michelle said:

It still doesn't excuse other idiot selfie takers who fall off cliffs and take massive amounts of the city or county budget to rescue them. When you climb over safety railings and walk past warning signs you should have to pay. :rolleyes:

Oh, keep things in perspective....this was a young girl taking a stupid selfie by accidentally losing her balance against a flimsy secured display box. Hopefully the organisers have learnt their lesson by .....

1 - Secure the merchandise properly.

2 - Make a rule where selfies are not permitted.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Yes, deaths have even occurred due to mostly young people doing dumb things by taking selfies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Astra. said:

Yes, deaths have even occurred due to mostly young people doing dumb things by taking selfies.

It's not just young people...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Michelle said:

It's not just young people...

Well of course...but as I said it's 'mostly' young people ie; whom are more likely to put themselves in harms way, because they put their vanity ahead of using common sense. For eg; there was this girl just the other day, probably around the age of 17...who was taking a selfie whilst riding a bicycle...one hand steering the handle bar....the other hand holding the phone and taking selfies...go figure!.. Anyway she ended up running into the back of a parked car. Luckily for her she came out of it ok....but it could have been much worse.

17 minutes ago, Astra. said:

Well of course...but as I said it's 'mostly' young people ie; whom are more likely to put themselves in harms way, because they put their vanity ahead of using common sense. For eg; there was this girl just the other day, probably around the age of 17...who was taking a selfie whilst riding a bicycle...one hand steering the handle bar....the other hand holding the phone and taking selfies...go figure!.. Anyway she ended up running into the back of a parked car. Luckily for her she came out of it ok....but it could have been much worse.

Since I moved out of my parent's house when I turned seventeen and worked two jobs to support myself, I don't have a lot of sympathy for idiots. When you are responsible for your own well being you realize how important that is.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Michelle said:

Since I moved out of my parent's house when I turned seventeen and worked two jobs to support myself, I don't have a lot of sympathy for idiots. When you are responsible for your own well being you realize how important that is.

I understand what you're saying. And I don't have a lot of time for idiots in general. However, I just don't understand what this has to do with a young person who accidentally knocked over a wobbly, and an unstable art display which was apparent in the video.

Anyway, no matter....as I'm over it now. :sleepy:

I agree with those who said it was a poorly setup exhibit.  Those  pieces should have been anchored down.  You have to idiot proof public exhibitions, people are very careless and don't give much thought to what they are doing. This looked like a kid.   The price of the art was the insurance value of the pieces, I am sure and the insurance company will want to recoup their loss, so they double the value.  The price of art is dictated by the market.  If you make something really nice, rich people are happy to pay big prices to decorate their fancy house and that is ok with me.  ;)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Timonthy said:

It's pretty obvious that there are plenty of people who want  to see other people's stupid selfie poses. 

No.  There are loads of people who tolerate others whilst they massage their ego with their own.  You don't set up a FB page to post other peoples pictures. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mesuma said:

No.  There are loads of people who tolerate others whilst they massage their ego with their own.  You don't set up a FB page to post other peoples pictures. 

You realise that FB is only one of many social media platforms? It is globally the most popular, and there would definitely be millions of 'friends' for the purpose of checking out each others selfies.

But more so, ever heard of Instagram? Many millions of people set up accounts for the sole purpose of following others and seeing their selfies etc. In Asia especially this is huge, part of a AU$10 billion industry in China alone and getting bigger much bigger. 

I don't know how old you are, and maybe it doesn't happen a lot in Scotland, but it's definitely a huge thing, there's no debating that.

Vain and narcissistic millennials are getting what they deserve. On a recent trip to Japan with a large group of people, most of us were taking pics of the scenery etc whilst the younger pretty people only took selfies during the entire trip. If getting "likes" on your posts is your top priority, then you are nothing but a shallow oxygen sucker taking up space.