Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Doctor Who's 13th Time Lord to be a woman

Still Waters

The identity of Doctor Who's 13th Time Lord will be revealed after the Wimbledon men's singles final later. Who's in the running for the role?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-38808070

Doctor Who's Peter Capaldi is set to pass on his sonic screwdriver to the next actor (or actress) who will take on the role of television's famous Time Lord.

Whoever inherits the part will follow a distinguished line-up of thespian (male) talent that stretches all the way back to the sci-fi favourite's first episode in 1963.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40585673

*Topic title changed now the new Doctor Who has been announced*

• Like 1

Kris Marshall would be interesting. 

A woman would kill the programme once and for all - might as well have Robyn Hood and Queen Arthur of the Britons ......  

Or why not go the whole hog and have a male transiting into a female who is unsure whether they are a lesbian or just bisexual *snip*

Edited by Saru
Removed crude reference

Doctor Who's 13th Time Lord to be a woman

"Jodie Whittaker has been announced as the Doctor Who's 13th Time Lord - the first woman to get the role.

She was revealed in a Doctor Who trailer that was broadcast on BBC One at the end of the Wimbledon men's singles final.

The Broadchurch star succeeds Peter Capaldi, who took the role in 2013 and leaves in this year's Christmas special."

• Like 1

I can't help myself but to make TV jumps..

So lemme get this straight.. the 10th doctor goes to Broadchurch.. then time lord magic happens and the 13th doctor comes out of Broadchurch? Hmmmmmmmm.... lol. I mean, I've only watched the first season of Broadchurch- what the heck happened there after season one for that to happen?

• Like 3

I don't know how much longer they'd be able to stretch out Brainchild, to be honest, it's getting like Murder she Wrote or Miss Marple with the number of murder mysteries they're supposedly expected to find in one small village in Dorset, England. 

• Like 1

^ Google's spell checker changed Broadchurch to Brainchild, it wasn't me :angry: 

All the females who watch and see the doctor as a love interest will be dissapointed lol

That's why the last guy wasn't as popular because he was too old. I really liked him though. 

It will be interesting seeing male companions fall for the female doctor 

Edited by spartan max2

1 minute ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

They're two separate series. Brainchild is a murder mystery type thing filmed among the beautiful cliffs of Dorset, England, Doctor Who is a long running science fiction show filmed in Cardiff. Jodie Whittaker, meanwhile, is an actress who appears in the former and is shortly to appear in the latter.

I know it's two separate series.. that's why it's a TV jump. A jump from one series to the other. It's like the jokes between Supernatural and Walking dead, that John Winchesters Azazel is Negan.

48 minutes ago, Essan said:

A woman would kill the programme once and for all - might as well have Robyn Hood and Queen Arthur of the Britons ......  

Or why not go the whole hog and have a male transiting into a female who is unsure whether they are a lesbian or just bisexual *snip*

Not+sure+if+trolling+_4661e3bca62855f90c

Are you really this much of a <insert string of words that would get me banned>?

On the casting, I think she's an amazing actress and probably one of my favourites from the UK. Not sure how well she can do 'silly' acting though, which is what the Doctor is, but I think this may just get me watching the show again.

58 minutes ago, Essan said:

Holy crap, let me check my calendar.

No, it does seem to say 2017. I thought these kind of attitudes were last seen in the Mesozoic era. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, rashore said:

I know it's two separate series.. that's why it's a TV jump. A jump from one series to the other. It's like the jokes between Supernatural and Walking dead, that John Winchesters Azazel is Negan.

I realised you were probably being jocular, so I changed it to a remark about Brainchild. We apologise for any confusion that may have been caused. 

6 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Holy crap, let me check my calendar.

No, it does seem to say 2017. I thought these kind of attitudes were last seen in the Mesozoic era. 

That's a tricky comment, MvD, in a story that features time travel. 

Perhaps the Doctor brought those attitudes BACK (or rather, forwards) from the Mesozoic era ? 

Edited by RoofGardener
  • Like 1

Thats the end of Dr Who

Political incorrectness gone totally mad :( 

10 minutes ago, Essan said:

Thats the end of Dr Who

Political incorrectness gone totally mad :( 

Yeah, political correctness gone mad is allowing a representative of half the world's population a leading role in a sci fi show. Damn woman should be in the kitchen where she belongs. Should never have given them the vote.

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Yeah, political correctness gone mad is allowing a representative of half the world's population a leading role in a sci fi show. Damn woman should be in the kitchen where she belongs. Should never have given them the vote.

Rubbish!

There have Always been strong female characters in Dr Who.  Its been one of the good things about the series. Including female timelords.  But the Doctor himself is a white skinned male.  That is NOT sexist or racist any more than Harry Potter being white and male is sexist and racist.  But I hear the remake of the Philosophers Stone will feature a black lesbian Harriett Potter who wants to be a dog.   Cos it aint fair the original was a white boy ....... 

Trust me, this is the end of the series.   Its been done purely for political incorrectness and I for one am sick of it.   We are all the same!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Essan said:

Rubbish!

There have Always been strong female characters in Dr Who.  Its been one of the good things about the series. Including female timelords.  But the Doctor himself is a white skinned male.  That is NOT sexist or racist any more than Harry Potter being white and male is sexist and racist.  But I hear the remake of the Philosophers Stone will feature a black lesbian Harriett Potter who wants to be a dog.   Cos it aint fair the original was a white boy ....... 

Trust me, this is the end of the series.   Its been done purely for political incorrectness and I for one am sick of it.   We are all the same!

The Doctor is a character that regenerates. Why do you think it is even important that he be a white skinned male in one of his regenerations? What does it matter?

And why do people act as though PC is somehow the end of civilisation as we know it. If it weren't for PC in films and soaps and elsewhere in society, we'd have had another full generation of homophobic idiots. Instead we have, when it comes to most minorities, a growingly tolerant society (with some some setbacks).

Why get angry about it? Could you not enjoy the experience of a female Doctor? 

Edit just to add: while I agree that Dr Who has often had strong, independent women, like most of sci fi, said woman has always been second fiddle to a man. Why shouldn't a man play second fiddle to a woman?

Edited by ExpandMyMind

I just think thay have done this purely for "political" rather than theatrical reasons and its going to rebound on them badly. We will see.

i was getting bored with it all being about sex/gender anyway. Dr Who should have no more sex in it than Paddington Bear.

If they wanted a series with a female Time lord, why not just bring back Romana and cast her in a spin off?

As an aside, I stopped watching the James Bond movies when they cast 007 as a blonde ......  Doesnt work.  

A "radical" changes/splits in timelords isn't exactly unheard of..

One of Ramona's ends has her going from fair and white to dark eyed and ebony skin. One of the Masters incarnations was Missy, which got into some weird multiple-masters stuff. Corsair changed gender with regeneration. The doctor got cloned into a female timelord. The General was an old white guy, and regenerates into a young black woman. 

There is also some theories within the cannon of double regeneration... Like having two sets of regeneration. There is some supposition that the doctor is actually on his second set of regenerations, and may not remember the first set, which could include female form. They tinkered with this with the master, so it might not be too far fetched that BBC could be doing this sort of thing again. It could be that they are setting up this last regeneration as female- in lieu of using the matrix for that final moment, perhaps rebirthing herself? It could be a messy twist, but would allow the BBC another set of doctors for the franchise.

• Like 2

I don't care. I just want better stories with good writing. Damn it. I watch shows, movies, play games, and read books to escape from reality. Entertain me.

8 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I don't care. I just want better stories with good writing. Damn it. I watch shows, movies, play games, and read books to escape from reality. Entertain me.

Hey, Stargate has 200+ episodes of sci fi crazy if you ever get bored. Amazing shows.

Not a problem for me, I like women, especially sci-fi women. Dark Matter, for instance is freaking awesome and I don't feel my masculinity the least bit threatened.

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

All the females who watch and see the doctor as a love interest will be dissapointed lol

That's why the last guy wasn't as popular because he was too old. I really liked him though. 

It will be interesting seeing male companions fall for the female doctor 

Capaldi was loads popular, the main complaint was Oswald and the writing of his first season and change. 

As for the Doctor always being male, so was the Master. But Missy was extremely popular. 

I have more issues with Capaldi's Doctor leading assaults on alien bases than the gender or look of the character. I prefer my Doctor to be a guile hero, personally. I also got tired of the "he's just like a Dale!!!1!!" stuff. 

If the writing is good, it's good. 

f55a94f75aaf03fe07775bae80de8c34d4b94061

• Like 1

Imagine if there was a story in doctor who where the doctor has a love interest with some girl they both fall in love etc, but then "it" changes into a woman, unless the girl happens to be bi....how awkward would that be if the girl is just straight?

Edited by Baldylocks

40 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Not a problem for me, I like women, especially sci-fi women. Dark Matter, for instance is freaking awesome and I don't feel my masculinity the least bit threatened.

Dark Matter is great sci fi. And thanks for reminding me I still have last week's show to watch.

Here are some words from Jodie:

I want to tell the fans not to be scared by my gender. Because this is a really exciting time, and Doctor Who represents everything that’s exciting about change. The fans have lived through so many changes, and this is only a new, different one, not a fearful one.

37 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

:clap:

The Expanse as well.

I'd love to see Shohreh Aghdashloo as Dr, and Frankie Adams as companion. I bet, ratings would skyrocket.