Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Doctor Who's 13th Time Lord to be a woman

Still Waters

21 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

It wasn't used as an adjective, which would be fine, it was used as a noun.

So when are you going to change public toilets for being misogynistic with their terminology, and are those of us using the term "Male" man haters or something?

Honestly, your comments are beyond silly. Just doing it to get a rise out of people aren't ya.

Edited by psyche101

34 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

They have to be supporting Charachters, the show is called "Dr Who" not the Doctors companions, when they do exceed the Doctor they get a spin of series like the Adventures of Sarah Jane or Torchwood.

Right, but the thing is it's been a constant. No matter how strong the woman is she always ends up sacrificing herself for him. And good chance they fall in love with him to

It's one of those unfortunate implications that has beengrowing in the Doctor Who show for awhile. 

Sarah Jane returned quite aged, still looking good I admit, but hardly a spring chicken, you noted Donna was not hired for looks and we have also seen male companions such as Harry Sullivan and Lethbridge Stuart right up to Mickey and Nardil. 

Two of which were Old Who and the third added after they have seriously worked to avoid that trend. 

Notable a versions prove the trend, they don't defeat it. 

Again, this was explicitly stated in the show. 

It was turned back.on him, Clara found his aged appearance too much and near deserted him based on looks, which is why she was the worst companion of all time IMHO of course.

Which is flipping the previous behavior of the Doctor back on him. 

Capaldi was specifically unable to notice age, something not true of previous Doctors as I remember. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, psyche101 said:

Well it would be outright silly to pretend that a female (gasp that misogynistic word again !!!!! Lol) is the same person Sean Connery was. Surely that is not what is intended?

Is Craig the same person as Connery? 

Different age, hair color, no gadgets. Less fantastic, different accents. 

Each Bond is a different character. 

Yet they do try to pretend each Bond is the same one. Or not, hard to tel with the new stuff. Think Craig is supposed to be a prequel of sorts. 

Either way, suppose they made a 007 Jane Bond or something. 

Exact same rage from the Fandom, I've no doubt. 

Switching genders is a new development obviously put forth for this fiasco. The LBGT has Been pushing for more LBGT in films and TV for a while now and obviously there is a strong supporter of this outlook at the BBC. We have the Bi Captain Jack, Missy and a Time Lord on Galifrey switched genders during Capaldi's term. The doctor has said his man crush for the Master went back a long way and stated they are beyond sexual inclination, indicating they do have Gender. This development indicates that they do not have Gender

Not really, means they're gender fluid and ties into the longstanding claim that gender doesn't really have any descrimination in Time Lord culture.. 

As for the push of the BBC, if fans didn't actually really like Jack and Missy and these other characters there'd be less likely to use them or introduce new ones. 

Obviously the case here! They are out to get me!!

But seriously, trolls are a product of the Internet and they will attack fur that sale is annoying fans. Look at the female nonsense in this thread alone, it makes no point and is written purely to create controversy.

Yes trolls exist on the internet, but you seem to be dismissing long term fans who are fine with this as trolls as well. 

2 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Sorry mate that is not correct, some Master minions tried to regenerate him from a scrap if flesh and failed, he was born as an energy being after his consciousness was retrieved from the Time Lord Matrix. 

A complete rebirth of the flesh from a virtual afterlife. He died in physical form.

As shown from the season finale Saxon was in the ship, stabbed by Missy, and drags himself back to his Tardis where he regenerates into Missy. 

Unless you mean his existence prior to that. Really the Master has a much more twisted history of existence than the Doctor. 

I honestly could not take such comments seriously or even bother to consider them. Let's face it, it is not a protest of substance, they should just turn the telly of and surf open if that is what they seek. A handful of testosterone fuelled comments really isn't a criticism of the show itself. 

Certainly something I can agree with. I see this protest in much the same light. 

They are not learning from past mistakes such as McCoy either it would seem. This is a total fiasco aimed at securing a new fan base and dismissing any long term fans grievances.

Not the same thing, in this case this has been a build up by the writers for the show for a long time now. 

From my own recall starting with off hand comments in Eccleston's run. 

She was shot thorough the chest before conversion. Moffat as indicated this is already the end of a very promising character. 

Moffat lies, a lot. As far as her exit from the show, like others, it was written in a way she can easily return if they want to.

Go back and watch the episode, the ship explicitly states if at any point she wants to go back to being human she can.

Frankly a better send off than Donna or Adric. 

With the Doctor regenerating as a woman it's a new show altogether.

Struggling to think of episodes where the Doctor's sexual organs played a role in an episode.

Most I can come up with are where he's deemed a worthy concubine to the queen in charge. Don't think that will be hard to write around that. 

Not really, many adventures of Pertwee and Baker spanned 6-8 episodes. 

Don't remember it that way, but it's been awhile. Still it's been a constant since the revival. 

I'd like to see more of other characters and have a break from the Dale's and Cybermen for awhile. But that's my own personal preference. 

That was always the case since he was responsible for the destruction of Galifrey.

And continued after he no longer was and has been taken to ridiculous lengths even beforehand. 

So do I, and with old Bill and and new aliens there is a plethora of opportunity. Fundamentally destroying the Doctors character is not required. 

I just don't see this as destroying the Doctor's character. Maybe if she wears low necked sweaters and hits on everyone or makes it all about she's got tits now guys, check 'em out!

Wait and see, where I'm going with it. 

Fans have no impact on the future of the show, this awful turn of events is testament to that.

And yet fans have responded positively to these add ons to the show as they've been introduced. 

It takes punching someone and a possible charge to get the BBC to cancel a popular show these days. 

The fans aren't monolithic, there certainly isn't a concerted list of things they all agree on. 

Some like it, some don't. When it actually hits we'll see. 

Not sure if it standing out but I have very strong opinions as a long term fan. Using the Doctor to mitigate modern aspects of society is underhanded and an insult the the character.as mention I've been a huge fan for 42 years, perhaps longer. I don't have a choice, give up a lifetime of following the show or accept the PC new age view. I hope this turn of events does not affect my long standing relationship with the show. 

Might be where you jump on. The show has gotten seriously more progressive over time, from the first time the characters walked into the old scrap yard. It has generally tried to be ahead of the curve on social issues since it originally aired. Not explicitly or in every case, but it usually has been. 

And there's certainly a point where it gets to much. 

After a point it's just to different from when you started. 

Underhanded, agenda driven and disloyal is what this so called new look is. I don't like downtime being manipulated with agendas.

Then they are very silly. This is entertainment, not real life.

:unsure: 

There you go again! Real doctors? What on earth does real life have to do with Time Lord's??

No, I meant some of the old Doctors, the proper male ones, not this PC outrage. 

3 hours ago, psyche101 said:

But seriously, trolls are a product of the Internet and they will attack fur that sale is annoying fans. Look at the female nonsense in this thread alone, it makes no point and is written purely to create controversy.

it's very difficult to be sure what you are talking about here, but are you trying to suggest, imply or insinuate that those people who are fine with it are trolls? What do you mean by "female nonsense"? 

On 19/07/2017 at 5:15 PM, ExpandMyMind said:

It wasn't used as an adjective, which would be fine, it was used as a noun.

It is a noun and was as used.as a descriptor. What about the term "male" being bandied about, not seeing you protest that.

Lol this thread is awesome. PC nonsense, hahaha, fight the change, titter and gaffauw.

Every Doctor, every single Doctor, came with contraversy and a new personality that "just wern't right".

Now we have a female Doctor played by a highly capable Actress. Just like any other Doctor we are going to have to watch to get to know and hopefully love her.

I personally am putting a Pop figure on early order with e-bay.

Edit to add: it's a shame my Mum is no longer around to see this happen she would have loved it.

• Like 2

Female perspective:

I will be happy when being the first female anything is no longer news but just normal boring stuff.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, psyche101 said:

So when are you going to change public toilets for being misogynistic with their terminology, and are those of us using the term "Male" man haters or something?

Honestly, your comments are beyond silly. Just doing it to get a rise out of people aren't ya.

I provided a link to a website with a comments section full of women who describe why exactly referring to them as 'females' is a bad thing. If you read that and can't see their point of view then there's no hope for you, son.

Edited by ExpandMyMind

8 hours ago, psyche101 said:

what, and your "This is PC nonsense that's designed to deliberately sabotage the show!" conspiracy theorising isn't? 

"Doctor Who should always be a man" can very easily be interpreted as "women are not good enough to be Doctor Who". 

"Its an insult to the character" suggests that there is something unique about the Doctor that is specifically masculine. 

"Enough of this PC b******s" YES how dare we treat each other equally. 

"The BBC has an agenda" yes dearie, everyone has agendas. This one seems to be "everyone is equally deserving of having a Doctor to look up to" which I'm sure we can all agree is terrible.

b******s to all that.

and ESPECIALLY to the ****s who've sent the BBC and Whittaker death threats. **** you. I've been a fan for decades and not a once have I been ashamed to be a Doctor Who fan ... until I read **** like that.

• Like 2

Ohhhhh kay.

Time to bring it down a notch. We love The Doctor because he is Logical and teaches us many things. 

If people want to lose out on watching Her be smart and logical and teach us new things. That is their loss. Don't give them credence. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Kismit said:

Ohhhhh kay.

Time to bring it down a notch. We love The Doctor because he is Logical and teaches us many things. 

If people want to lose out on watching Her be smart and logical and teach us new things. That is their loss. Don't give them credence. 

Wow, yes, agreed.

1 hour ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

and ESPECIALLY to the ****s who've sent the BBC and Whittaker death threats. **** you. 

How is it possible to wish someone dead because of a television programme. I simply don't get it, probably never will.

If you are really that upset about a programme, television sets have an off button. Why not use that instead ? 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

How is it possible to wish someone dead because of a television programme. I simply don't get it, probably never will.

If you are really that upset about a programme, television sets have an off button. Why not use that instead ? 

You're not alone. I can't figure it out either. My thoughts, if you don't like it don't watch it. Simple solution. Duh.

To be honest. I hope it bring something new to the series. To bad it wasn't a red haired woman, that would be hilarious.:lol:

• Like 2

On 19/07/2017 at 5:58 PM, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Both of whom then needed the Doctor to save them from saving him - the Doctor saved River by uploading her to the mainframe and he saved Clara by jumping into his own timestream. 

They saved him, yes. He then had to save them. 

That my friend is equal footing!!!

On 19/07/2017 at 5:58 PM, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

So so far the only people to save the Doctor without him having to save them right back thirty seconds later are the Brigadier and Bill. 

Kylie Minogue.

58 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

That my friend is equal footing!!!

Kylie Minogue.

That's because she's Kylie. Any other state of affairs would be unbelievable. 

• Like 1

That my friend is equal footing!!

No, equal footing would be them saving each other from time to time and not having to be rescued from the rescue, that's subordinance.

if it was equal footing, Clara would have popped out of the Doctor's timeline having saved him. Equality would have been Rose giving up her Bad Wolf powers once she'd defeated the Daleks with no repercussion. Equaliity would have been Zoe actually being shown to be smarter than the Doctor rather than him somehow always getting the upper hand. Equality would have been Liz Shaw being anything other then chief screwdriver passer to the Doctor. Equality would have Martha marrying anyone other than the person the Doctor set up for her.

On 19/07/2017 at 8:07 PM, XenoFish said:

We live in the age of the offended. Everything is a "threat" are so I'm told.:rolleyes:

It's only a threat do far as forcing political values into entertainment

On 19/07/2017 at 9:03 PM, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Here is a radical idea: Maybe we should wait to judge this until we actually see a couple of episodes. 

I know its crazy (:rolleyes:), but thats what I'm going to do anyway. 

Obviously you are crazy!!

1 minute ago, psyche101 said:

Obviously you are crazy!!

Obviously. Complaining and defending the new Doctor is a proud and long standing Whovian tradition. 

22 hours ago, ShadowSot said:

Right, but the thing is it's been a constant. No matter how strong the woman is she always ends up sacrificing herself for him. And good chance they fall in love with him to

It's one of those unfortunate implications that has beengrowing in the Doctor Who show for awhile. 

That's what I really liked about Donna, no romance nonsense. I thought that the Doctor telling Martha Jones that he didn't realise how companions felt well indicated he didn't want the romance factor.

Two of which were Old Who and the third added after they have seriously worked to avoid that trend. 

Notable a versions prove the trend, they don't defeat it. 

Again, this was explicitly stated in the show. 

There are many more male companions, I just typed a couple because I am using a phone and didn't want to type a huge list.

Which is flipping the previous behavior of the Doctor back on him. 

Capaldi was specifically unable to notice age, something not true of previous Doctors as I remember. 

Again Martha Jones refuted this. The Doctor does not succumb to romance, and so it should be. It's sci fi, not a soap.opera.