Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Khufu's Ka Statue

Lord Harry

17 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

Didn't Djoser's serdab have two little eye holes so his statue could "see" out? That's what I've always read. I can't say with certainty. Only Hanslune is old enough to have been there when it was made.

Oh, here's a photo:

DCP02307.JPG

Again, I've never set foot there myself, but that serdab looks recreated. I can't relate the original condition. Or were the little holes for geyser-pressure relief? :D

It does look recreated to me as well.  The statue on site is a reproduction, with the original on display at the Cairo Museum. 

Yeah, I'm dealing with the geyser king on another forum as we speak.  An uninformed commenter made a post where he expressed some skepticism about the internal ramp theory, and this opened up the flood gates of hell on our Great Pyramid thread.  I'm off to buy several hundred rolls of paper towels and extra strength cleanser to disinfect the thread.

Edited by Lord Harry
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Lord Harry said:

It does look recreated to me as well.  The statue on site is a reproduction, with the original on display at the Cairo Museum. 

Yeah, I'm dealing with the geyser king on another forum as we speak.  An uninformed commenter made a post where he expressed some skepticism about the internal ramp theory, and this opened up the flood gates of hell on our Great Pyramid thread.  I'm off to buy several hundred rolls of paper towels and extra strength cleanser to disinfect the thread.

Ohhh   Nooooos  !    Quick ....  come over here  ...

... this way , I will lead you ...

put your head in here   .... 

Image result for emergency eyewash station

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

Didn't Djoser's serdab have two little eye holes so his statue could "see" out? That's what I've always read. I can't say with certainty. Only Hanslune is old enough to have been there when it was made.

Oh, here's a photo:

DCP02307.JPG

Again, I've never set foot there myself, but that serdab looks recreated. I can't relate the original condition. Or were the little holes for geyser-pressure relief? :D

That's an  ancient Egyptian emergency eye wash station.   Apparently, some stranger kept turning up with crazy ideas and little hand drawn sketches and plans , after the supervisor realised several of the work teams has seen them , he had this feature installed.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lord Harry said:

I had read that the opening was just an opening and not a pair of eye holes.  More of a slit.

Sympathies on the disinfectant process.

9 hours ago, back to earth said:

That's an  ancient Egyptian emergency eye wash station.   Apparently, some stranger kept turning up with crazy ideas and little hand drawn sketches and plans , after the supervisor realised several of the work teams has seen them , he had this feature installed.  

...with geysers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kenemet said:

I had read that the opening was just an opening and not a pair of eye holes.  More of a slit.

Sympathies on the disinfectant process.

In the 80's it was a slit if I recall correctly

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kenemet said:

...with geysers.

Hi ... I forgot ,,, after your info about malachite , I thought you might appreciate this little piece ; 

Image result for Malachite bastet statue

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, back to earth said:

Would  kitty like a drink ?

Image result for red beer

Ethylene Glycol with a twist of lime is a drink fit for a demonic feline creature.

8 minutes ago, Jarocal said:

Ethylene Glycol with a twist of lime is a drink fit for a demonic feline creature.

Refreshing.

Meow.

On 7/19/2017 at 8:11 PM, back to earth said:

Would  kitty like a drink ?

Image result for red beer

Ah do so appreciate such gentlemanly offers, m'dear.   Tokens of affection (AKA cat hair) will abound in your life.

On 7/19/2017 at 7:07 PM, kmt_sesh said:

notworthysmiley.gif?w=280&h=210&fit=crop notworthysmiley.gif?w=280&h=210&fit=crop notworthysmiley.gif?w=280&h=210&fit=crop

Ah, proper due to the Fabulous Feline Overlords.

...where's the catnip? 

1 hour ago, Kenemet said:

Ah, proper due to the Fabulous Feline Overlords.

...where's the catnip? 

It is always proper and right to bow to the Feline Masters. He won't admit it, but Jarocal is doing it now. While chanting.

On 7/20/2017 at 0:14 PM, Jarocal said:

Its blood .........       laced with beer   ... shhhh . 

sometimes I wonder why you guys never get my jokes ?

are you sure you guys study Egyptology ......  

Related image

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, back to earth said:

Its blood .........       laced with beer   ... shhhh . 

Sekhmet!

3 minutes ago, back to earth said:

sometimes I wonder why you guys never get my jokes ?

are you sure you guys study Egyptology ......  

Related image

There. Happy?

tumblr_nalx7jb3Vo1sbleazo2_r1_250.gif

• Like 3

4 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

Sekhmet!

There. Happy?

tumblr_nalx7jb3Vo1sbleazo2_r1_250.gif

I am happier with the after effects .

Malachite is the most vivid green of the opaque stones AE's carved, but rarely is found in large dimensions; a problem if the statue largely filled the corbelled cavity.  If there were such a statue in the pyramid, it was likely assembled from smaller carved elements or was 'veneered' as is commonly done these days.  Not sure there is any precedent for either type of malachite assemblage in the Old Kingdom, at least with our current information.  Green schist was used in old kingdom statuary and could be relatively large in dimensions, a little harder than malachite and not as likely to crack or break, but not a 'remarkable' green, not to cause wonder by itself, but still a stone of importance and esteem.  Also, green basalt was used, but mostly from (much) later dynasties, was harder and therefore more challenging to carve (though the Old Kingdom artisans were extremely skillful overall), and was a dark dull greenish (and I think beautiful) stone.  No one would remark at its 'green-ness' I'd think.

Of the translucent green stones I'd think green calcite would be the most likely choice, if we're speculating; a hard stone, and might amaze depending on the specimen's carving, polish, and saturation of color.  Lovely idea.

• Like 2

Interesting supposition ;  especially  if  it was phosphorescent or fluorescent, as calcite may occasionally  show ! 

Now that would be a startling find .... inside a darkened chamber .

Related image

• Like 2