Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Australian Woman Killed by Minneapolis Police

Farmer77

Aussie woman killed by police in US after dialing 911 to report disturbance 

Police officer in South Minneapolis, Minnesota, shot dead a 40-year-old woman from Sydney shortly after she dialed 911 to alert of a possible alley assault. The woman’s family now demands answers for what they say was unprovoked violence

The officers were wearing bodycams at the time the altercation unfolded, but they were not turned on, according to the statement.

• Like 5

My guess is that the gun went off by mistake.

.. which would make it.. what... manslaughter ? Gross negligence ? If the gun DID go off "by accident", then perhaps the Mineapolis police should not be allowed to carry them ?

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

My guess is that the gun went off by mistake.

Well that would really be the 'best case', it's all sounding a bit weird since the news initially hit so I'm going to wait and see how it develops. 

I'm not saying it's anything sinister.

But mistake, whether it was an accidental discharge, or whether the cop mistook the situation and pulled the trigger, are two very different things.

• Like 3

It's just that in the account that I read, she had approached the police car and was speaking with the driver when she was killed by the passenger's gun. I couldn't imagine what she had done to provoke that. Unless she was carrying a weapon in case she was approached by the 'assailant in the alley' and the passenger misunderstood her body language concerning the weapon.

Edited by ouija ouija

Nothing about that makes sense. We are missing key information.

• Like 7

Body cam turned off seems fairly suspicious 

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Body cam turned off seems fairly suspicious 

I think the question of body-cams being turned on/off(speaking generally), is a tricky one. On the one hand, if on, they can confirm an officer's version of events or, reveal a 'rogue' cop. On the other hand, if off, we are left with the 'he said, she said' situation, but if off, the officers are freed to apprehend suspects/perpetrators in whatever way seems best 'in the heat of the moment'.  

• Like 2

Yeah... by accidentally shooting them ? :(

• Like 5

The woman had called 911 to report a possible assault outside her home Saturday night. No one knows why she was shot. The two officers involved are on administrative leave. This isn't making any sense to me.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/minneapolis-woman-fatally-shot-police-calling-911/story?id=48673892

• Like 4

Oh my goodness...a meditation and yoga instructor in her pajamas? 

• Like 1

Could the police have been involved in a fire fight with some else (the person committing the assault perhaps) and this poor lady was shot accidently during the confusion? Just a guess as this event really doesn't make much sense.

• Like 4

Off topic but I lived on grand avenue many years ago. I just got off work and was leaving my car at 2 am with my then chocolate lab puppy and some weirdo runs up behind me grabs my arm and says "tell them i was with you all night". Within seconds a cop car speeds up onto the sidewalk and two officers jumped out with guns pointed. I tried raising both hands but my puppy was on his leash. One cop tackled the dude and cuffed him. They knew i wasn't with him and just asked what he said to me. After they put him in the car they came over and played with my puppy. 

Never knew what any of it was about but the police were really cool.

And btw the guy they arrested was a white male.

• Like 6

So damned sad.  The police body cameras were not on as is required.  Fire them.

• Like 5

There's already a thread about this in U.S. Politics.

If their body cameras weren't turned on, that is one thing. If they were turned off prior to arriving on this scene, charge them with manslaughter. Police powers are out of control.

• Like 5

Just another instance of maniac cops being maniacs. My guess is there will be no real retribution for this woman's senseless murder and the world will keep turning.

• Like 4

Apparently she was shot 'multiple times' so I think it's fair to say it wasn't an accidental discharge of a weapon. :(

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

The officers were wearing bodycams at the time the altercation unfolded, but they were not turned on, according to the statement.

Hell, what a coincidence!

• Like 4

How messed up is it that you can call the police to help with a suspected burglary and they end up shooting you, the person in their pyjamas?

• Like 6

Why was she outside, wandering around in pajamas if someone was being assaulted?

• Like 1

Just now, Hammerclaw said:

Why was she outside, wandering around in pajamas if someone was being assaulted?

my guess she saw cops come, and came out to talk to them

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Sweetpumper said:

You think a White Lives Matter group will pop up?

article-4703892-426DC33700000578-340_964

Wow. I'm really not surprised that it's you who brought it up though. 

• Like 4

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked