Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Australian senator is actually Canadian

The Caspian Hare

An Australian senator has been forced to step down because she is a dual citizen of Australia and Canada.

The Australian constitution disqualifies potential candidates from seeking election if they hold dual or plural citizenship.

Larissa Waters, who was also the deputy leader of the Green party, told a news conference Monday that was only found out about her status on Monday with “great shock and sadness.”

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/national/australian+senator+98devastated+learn+canadian+step+down/13766481/story.html

• Like 4

I don't understand. Why can she not simply renounce her Canadian citizenship and continue in her position? Just seems silly that her career be impacted like that given her birth and residency history.

• Like 2

Because it was illegal for her to run in the first place.

this is, icidentally, the SECOND time this has happened this week to that party. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

this is, icidentally, the SECOND time this has happened this week to that party. 

Soon everyone will be a citizen of the world and it will be legal. mwahaha...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Soon everyone will be a citizen of the world and it will be legal. mwahaha...

"Hey, so where are you from?"
- "The world."

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, FLOMBIE said:

"Hey, so where are you from?"
- "The world."

Haven't you heard? That is a micro-aggression! You are no longer allowed to ask!!! :lol:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

*blames Canada*

No No. We need more Canadia over this way. Much more.

• Like 1

Just now, Michelle said:

Haven't you heard? That is a micro-aggression! You are no longer allowed to ask!!! :lol:

That's actually not accurate. You should ask - otherwise you are marginalizing their heritage. But you also have to be aware that if you ask, you are being racist. :rofl:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Claire. said:

I don't understand. Why can she not simply renounce her Canadian citizenship and continue in her position? Just seems silly that her career be impacted like that given her birth and residency history.

It appears to be a bit of a political cleansing. One was forced out wich meant others had to follow.

Toni Abbott was born in England and yet he got to be Priminister. So I don't get it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kismit said:

It appears to be a bit of a political cleansing. One was forced out wich meant others had to follow.

Toni Abbott was born in England and yet he got to be Priminister. So I don't get it.

It seemed odd because the solution appears to be really quite simple, but it makes sense in light of what might be going on. I don't have much knowledge on the Australian political system and players, so the added insight is appreciated.

14 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

I haven't been following things lately Hats....so who is the other person that was stood down ?....Personally, I really can't see what the big deal is in Larrisa Waters case... I mean her parents are both Australian...and she's lived in this country since she was practically a baby.

And then there is Tony Abbott who is thought to still have duel citizenship (although it's not been confirmed whether or not he had renounced his British citizenship) and yet he became PM for a while.

It's bureaucracy gone mad, if you ask me. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Claire. said:

I don't understand that part either, as far as her renouncing her Canadian citizenship....especially if her position means a lot to her. It's all rather strange really. Now I'm wondering how many other people who are in politics here, who will also be stood down because of being in a similar situation.  

• Like 2

On 7/19/2017 at 8:19 AM, Kismit said:

Abbott renounced his British citizenship months before MacKellar - of colour TV infamy - resigned from the House of Reps.

If I discovered that I had Canadian citizenship, I would jump straight on the next plane!

• Like 1

On 24/07/2017 at 3:45 PM, Golden Duck said:

Abbott renounced his British citizenship...

Well there ya go...back in 1993 apparently.

2 hours ago, Astra. said:

Well there ya go...back in 1993 apparently.

And just when you think this a 'minor party only issue - along comes Matthew Canavan. This time it will hinge on the question of consent. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

And just when you think this a 'minor party only issue - along comes Matthew Canavan. This time it will hinge on the question of consent. 

It's going to be interesting to see what the high court decides on all of this dual citizenship formalities. Especially in light of where a person may have had duel citizenship that was done through the actions of a relative without them knowing / or giving consent. It seems like a large can of worms has now been opened in relation to this type of quandary.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Astra. said:

It's going to be interesting to see what the high court decides on all of this dual citizenship formalities. Especially in light of where a person may have had duel citizenship that was done through the actions of a relative without them knowing / or giving consent. It seems like a large can of worms has now been opened in relation to this type of quandary.

Looking at information Brisbane Italian Consulates site, the Italian citizenship might have been automatic; even though Canavan was born in Southport.

Is it reasonable that he should know that? What's a reasonable step to renounce a citizenship you don't reasonably know you have?

Shorten's called for the documents from the Consulate;  but,  doesn't agree there should be an audit, neither does Joyce.

I agree Canavan is an interesting test and may indeed open a can of worms concerning inherited citizenship. Ignorance won't be a defence in the future.

• Like 1