Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Turkey Leaks Secret Locations of U.S. Troops

ExpandMyMind

ISTANBUL—In the latest display of Turkish anger at U.S. policy in Syria, the state news agency has divulged the locations of 10 U.S. military bases and outposts in northern Syria where the U.S. is leading an operation to destroy the so-called Islamic State in its self-styled capital of Raqqa.

The list published by the Anadolu news agency points to a U.S. presence from one end to the other of the Kurdish self-administration region—a distance of more than 200 miles. The Anadolu news agency even listed the number of U.S. troops in several locations and in two instances stipulated the presence of French special forces.

Is this not an act of war?

• Like 2

Only if it actually happened ? It seems odd that no other media outlets have picked up on this... unless they are self-censoring to protect US troops ?

Daily Beast ha!   Try some reliable sources.. their may or may not be 'some' truth to the article but its a lousy source ...full stop

Is "The Daily Beast" a fake news site, or is it real?

https://www.quora.com/Is-The-Daily-Beast-a-fake-news-site-or-is-it-real

Edited by seeder
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Do you mean the fact that US soldiers are on foreign soil without the nation's permission or that Turkey outed the troop locations? 

9 minutes ago, seeder said:

Daily Beast ha!   Try some reliable sources.. their may or may not be 'some' truth to the article but its a lousy source ...full stop

I think I found the story in the Turkish newspaper : US speeds up military aid to PKK/PYD IDK for sure how many of these bases were supposed to be secret though 

us-pkk-support.jpg

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 2

The article provides a link to the Turkish source.

According to Anadolu Agency reporters, a U.S. military point has recently been established in PKK/PYD-held areas in northern Syria. 

Washington had set up two airbases in PKK/PYD-held Rmeilan district in the northeast of Al-Hasakah province in October 2015 and Harab Isk village in southern Kobani in March 2016. 

While the Rmeilan airbase is large enough for cargo planes to land, Harab Isk base is only used by military helicopters. 

While a part of the U.S. military aid to PKK/PYD goes through Iraqi border by land, the other part is shipped to the region through the Rmeilan airbase. 

These “field-type” military points are usually hidden for security reasons, making it hard to be detected, according to Anadolu Agency reporters. 

Apart from the military points, the U.S. also uses some other places which are hard to be detected like residential areas, PKK/PYD camps, easily transformed factories as operational points. 

http://aa.com.tr/en/americas/us-increases-military-posts-supporting-pkk-pyd-in-syria/863895

They then go on to provide even more details

Military points in Al-Hasakah

There are also three military points in Al-Hasakah, the latest of which was established in the northern district Tal Baydar. 

According to the reporters, 100 U.S. Special Forces soldiers have been deployed to Tal Baydar within the scope of the fight against the Daesh terrorist group. 

There are also foreign soldiers from the U.S.-led coalition stationed in the old farm district of Tal Tamir, which is located south of Resulayn near the Syrian-Turkish border. 

There are also 150 U.S. Special Forces units in Ash Shaddadi district, south of Al-Hasakah, with a view to backing PKK/PYD during anti-Daesh operations.

Military points in Manbij

The U.S. has established two operational posts in Manbij in 2016 when PKK/PYD captured the district. 

One of these posts is located in Ayn Dadad town in the district, which can be used by U.S. Special Forces for patrols against the Free Syrian Army (FSA) units rescued during the Turkish Euphrates Shield Operation. 

The other military unit is located in Usariye town, west of Ayn Dadad with the purpose of protecting PKK/PYD units against FSA.

Military points in Raqqah

There are also three military posts in the northern province of Raqqah. 

Along with U.S. special forces units, French special forces are stationed in a military post located in Mistanur hill, south of Kobani. 

Around 200 U.S. soldiers and 75 French special forces units are also stationed in the PKK/PYD base in Ayn Issah town in northern Raqqah. 

A military post in the town of Sirrin in Kobani is also used for airbornes. PKK/PYD is supplied with military equipment and ammunition through this post. 

This post also serves as a communication center of the anti-Daesh coalition and used for disrupting Daesh communications. 

PYD, the Syria offshoot of the terrorist organization PKK, is in control of Al-Hasakah in the east, northern Raqqah, Manbij, to the east of Aleppo, Afrin and Tal Rifaat districts. 

Recognized by the U.S. as an ally in the fight against Daesh, PKK/PYD militants run under the name of the Syria Democratic Forces (SDF) in the war-torn country. 

Despite the fact that the militants were given SDF uniforms, some of them wear uniforms with banners of Abdullah Ocalan, jailed head of PKK terrorist organization in Turkey. 

So the comments about the source and if it really happened are pointless, which both of the posters above would have realised had they bothered to read the article.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Farmer77 said:

Do you mean the fact that US soldiers are on foreign soil without the nation's permission or that Turkey outed the troop locations? 

I was referring to Turkey's actions but I guess the point could be made against the US even being there.

It highlights just how hostile a nation Turkey have become over the past 20 years. I wouldn't be surprised if those nutjobs started the next big war in the region.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Erdogan is an unrepentant Islamist who wants to reclaim the Ottoman empire and be it's Caliph.  NATO needs to be making plans for a post-Turkey alliance and the U.S. needs to get our nukes out NOW.  I wouldn't put it past him to hold some of our people hostage at some point.  At some point, he is going to be allied with Russia AND Iran.  It will be an alliance based only on expedience.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, and then said:

Erdogan is an unrepentant Islamist who wants to reclaim the Ottoman empire and be it's Caliph.  NATO needs to be making plans for a post-Turkey alliance and the U.S. needs to get our nukes out NOW.  I wouldn't put it past him to hold some of our people hostage at some point.  At some point, he is going to be allied with Russia AND Iran.  It will be an alliance based only on expedience.

As far as I can see, there are 3 sticking points betwen the U.S. and Turkey.

1. The U.S. refusal to hand over Fethullah Gülen to Turkish authorities

3. Support for Kurdish fighters in Syria

3. The West only feebly condemning the coup.

Edited by Be.cause

1 hour ago, Be.cause said:

As far as I can see, there are 3 sticking points betwen the U.S. and Turkey.

1. The U.S. refusal to hand over Fethullah Gülen to Turkish authorities

3. Support for Kurdish fighters in Syria

3. The West only feebly condemning the coup.

Turkey was working with ISIS, Gulen was never proven to have done anything related to the coup attempt and Erdogan was acting like a dictator wannabe before the coup, anyway.

Turkey has 6.7 mag earthquake in tourist destination two days after they leaked this information. hmmmmmmmm questionable 

11 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Turkey has 6.7 mag earthquake in tourist destination two days after they leaked this information. hmmmmmmmm questionable 

?  That a temblor occurred in a country with a long history of them?  Farmer, you don't believe governments can control such things, do you?  Sure, we probably have the ability through brute force to set one in motion but it would be easily apparent that we'd done it.

1 minute ago, and then said:

?  That a temblor occurred in a country with a long history of them?  Farmer, you don't believe governments can control such things, do you?  Sure, we probably have the ability through brute force to set one in motion but it would be easily apparent that we'd done it.

There's a very large part of me that thinks its perhaps a possibility. I honestly threw the suggestion out there as a half joke but deep down I think I would almost be more surprised if we weren't able to do such things on some level. 

Turkey is stuck between a rock and a hard place. Torn by internecine strife within, without, they are surrounded by former enemies and former vassal states with no particular fondness--if not outright antipathy-- for them. Erdogan is a political opportunist, hardly a religious zealot, swaying, from day-to-day, which ever way the winds of political expediency blow. He's frustrated, because he's well aware of the devastating consequences outright hostility with the West could bring, up to and including the loss of Istanbul to their Eastern Orthodox nemesis, the Greeks. He's stymied at every turn, impotent to act in any meaningful way to further his international agenda.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2017 at 1:00 AM, Hammerclaw said:

Turkey is stuck between a rock and a hard place. Torn by internecine strife within, without, they are surrounded by former enemies and former vassal states with no particular fondness--if not outright antipathy-- for them. Erdogan is a political opportunist, hardly a religious zealot, swaying, from day-to-day, which ever way the winds of political expediency blow. He's frustrated, because he's well aware of the devastating consequences outright hostility with the West could bring, up to and including the loss of Istanbul to their Eastern Orthodox nemesis, the Greeks. He's stymied at every turn, impotent to act in any meaningful way to further his international agenda.

I don't claim to know the man's true relationship religiously with Islam but he's certainly putting on a good show of it.  He's been damned successful with it so far.  The recent 2.5 billion $ deal with Russia for S-400 air defense systems leaves no doubt for any reasonable person which way he thinks his wind is blowing.

3 minutes ago, and then said:

I don't claim to know the man's true relationship religiously with Islam but he's certainly putting on a good show of it.  He's been damned successful with it so far.  The recent 2.5 billion $ deal with Russia for S-400 air defense systems leaves no doubt for any reasonable person which way he thinks his wind is blowing.

Yes, I bet he even has the trains running on time, too. His showmanship is second to none. He plays the roll of the common-man-made-good, to the hilt. He caters to the religious because they are the grassroots of his constituency. He's Chavez, Mussolini and Duarte--all rolled into one. Turkey has always had trade with Russia, so what of his weapons deal? After all, we pay them for space travel.

• Like 2

On 7/20/2017 at 10:35 PM, Farmer77 said:

I would take this as more likely to prove there actually is  God*, rather than accept the idea that we have some kind of machine that can cause earthquakes. 

* of course ... one with a nasty sense of humor, or perhaps brain-damge. 

• Like 1

On 7/23/2017 at 2:53 PM, Hammerclaw said:

Yes, I bet he even has the trains running on time, too. His showmanship is second to none. He plays the roll of the common-man-made-good, to the hilt. He caters to the religious because they are the grassroots of his constituency. He's Chavez, Mussolini and Duarte--all rolled into one. Turkey has always had trade with Russia, so what of his weapons deal? After all, we pay them for space travel.

Hopping a ride on a taxi to the Space Station isn't quite the same as buying their high-end weapons systems.  Frankly, I wonder what it's going to take to get DC to acknowledge that Turkey is on the way to becoming an open adversary.

1 hour ago, and then said:

Hopping a ride on a taxi to the Space Station isn't quite the same as buying their high-end weapons systems.  Frankly, I wonder what it's going to take to get DC to acknowledge that Turkey is on the way to becoming an open adversary.

Well, we can't eat our cake and have it, too. We can't complain about other country's dependence on us and then complain because they take their marbles and go play with somebody else. France has a quite lucrative military materials exchange with Russia, including helicopter engines. Is France our adversary?

• Like 1

Anyhow the title is somewhat misleading as a News Agency that leaked, not some Official Government Release, Turkish or no ...

~

15 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Anyhow the title is somewhat misleading as a News Agency that leaked, not some Official Government Release, Turkish or no ...

~

The news agency is owned and operated by the Turkish government. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Farmer77 said:

The news agency is owned and operated by the Turkish government. 

As is most of the cases with all Agencies outside the US ... that does not mean its an 'official' Government Release ...

nope, I guess that does sound quite strange to most Yanks ... :lol:

~

• Like 1

7 hours ago, third_eye said:

As is most of the cases with all Agencies outside the US ... that does not mean its an 'official' Government Release ...

nope, I guess that does sound quite strange to most Yanks ... :lol:

~

Yes, but unlikely it was released without implicit or tacit approval of the government.

On 20/07/2017 at 6:43 PM, and then said:

Turkey was working with ISIS, Gulen was never proven to have done anything related to the coup attempt and Erdogan was acting like a dictator wannabe before the coup, anyway.

It's pretty obvious that the coup was staged by Erdogan to consolidate his Islamic dictatorship, the West knows it.Turkey uses Nato assets such as listening posts for her own ends, Turkey can never be trusted.

Edited by A rather obscure Bassoon
  • Like 2

Turkey is not an allie. When Russia informed the US of a bombing run against Isis the US told Turkey to stand down. Nope that didn't happen. Turkey is an enemy that snuck in.  

Get rid of them and, well I better not go there

Edited by The Silver Thong
  • Like 1