Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New proof Australia colonised 65000 years ago

Ozfactor

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/technology/science/kakadu-archaeological-discovery-proves-first-australians-arrived-at-least-65000-years-ago/news-story/316f7e4dadcc9d5dc2aa9ca5950ff773

NEW proof has been found showing Aboriginal people lived in Australia up to 18,000 years earlier than once thought, at the same time now-extinct species of giant animals roamed the land.

A team of archaeologists have uncovered a treasure trove of evidence with global significance for the history of human evolution, confirming the colonisation of Australia at least 65,000 years ago.

Findings from the excavation have this week been published in Nature magazine, and lead author Associate Professor Chris Clarkson says the new chronology places people in Australia more than 20,000 years before the continent-wide extinction of megafauna such as giant kangaroos and wombats. The site contains the oldest ground-edge stone axe technology in the world, the oldest known seed grinding tools in Australia and evidence of finely-made stone points which may have served as spear tips.

Hundreds of thousands of unearthed artefacts from the dig also revealed strong Aboriginal cultural continuity, with huge quantities of ground ochre in a region known for its spectacular rock art.

• Like 9

First thought that came to me... How do we know that these new older tools belonged to the Aborigines? Could they not have belonged to an earlier people? Is there indications that link this excavation to other later dated excavations?

I'll read the article and see if they say.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DieChecker said:

First thought that came to me... How do we know that these new older tools belonged to the Aborigines? Could they not have belonged to an earlier people? Is there indications that link this excavation to other later dated excavations?

this is an interesting article on the DNA interpretation of Mulga Man, the oldest known Australian human remains.
the latest DNA technology on Mulga Man confirms there were no people in Australia before the Aborigines 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2016-06-07/dna-confirms-aboriginal-people-as-the-first-australians/7481360

Edited by Ozfactor
forgot to add the link
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Ozfactor said:

this is an interesting article on the DNA interpretation of Mulga Man, the oldest known Australian human remains.
the latest DNA technology on Mulga Man confirms there were no people in Australia before the Aborigines 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2016-06-07/dna-confirms-aboriginal-people-as-the-first-australians/7481360

Or, perhaps, that they died out before he got there?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DieChecker said:

Didn't say... 

It's amazing how easily these time frames are pushed around....seems like we can't ever be to sure of the history of this planet.
Mark Twain  'What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so.'

Edited by InconceivableThoughts

Ho hum, yet another claim of rewriting history books when the actual books were non-committal.

Edited by Codenwarra
It cut off part of my post, not the first time either
  • Like 2

I just read the article that claims to prove that the Aborigines were the first to inhabit the continent of Australia. I found it lacking in actual evidence that this was the case .

The DNA evidence seems to be sketchy.  Are there any other articles that shine more light on the subject?

On 7/28/2017 at 0:45 AM, Attila911us said:

I just read the article that claims to prove that the Aborigines were the first to inhabit the continent of Australia. I found it lacking in actual evidence that this was the case .

The DNA evidence seems to be sketchy.  Are there any other articles that shine more light on the subject?

There are some radiometric dates  (not carbon dates) that indicate this sort of time.  I forget the details but it was announced earlier this year.