Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

48th Anniversary of first manned moon landing

Still Waters

On this day in history, July 20, 1969, astronaut Neil Armstrong became the first man to set foot on the moon.

Glued to their televisions, the world watched in awe 251,000 miles away.

http://www.wtvy.com/content/news/48th-Anniversary-of-first-manned-moon-landing-435562223.html

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/armstrong-walks-on-moon

• Like 5

I amazes me that there are still people who deny this- it was a wonderful achievement by very brave men and very capable scientists.

(But is has always irked me that Neil Armstrong slipped up when he intended to say "a man", but instead said "Man". Still, who can blame him for being a little lost for words when he was about to stand on another planet!For the first time and very possibly the last time in the history of mankind.)

Edited by eugeneonegin

Just now, eugeneonegin said:

I amazes me that there are still people who deny this- it was a wonderful achievement by very brave men and very capable scientists.

Coincidentally, if you click on the above link of the OP,  for the untrained eye, the photo of the 3 Apollo 11 astronauts with the moon in the background is in fact a NASA studio photo production :whistle:

But Chinese whispers aside, this always goes down as one of my favorite days in history. :st

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, taniwha said:

Coincidentally, if you click on the above link of the OP,  for the untrained eye, the photo of the 3 Apollo 11 astronauts with the moon in the background is in fact a NASA studio photo production :whistle:

But Chinese whispers aside, this always goes down as one of my favorite days in history. :st

Another mad conspiracy theorist! They took their space helmets off just briefly for the photo shoot!:D

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, eugeneonegin said:

(But is has always irked me that Neil Armstrong slipped up when he intended to say "a man", but instead said "Man". Still, who can blame him for being a little lost for words when he was about to stand on another planet!For the first time and very possibly the last time in the history of mankind.) 

I like the way he ended up saying it, doesn't have the same ring by slipping in an a.

By the way I wonder what the last words to be said on the moon were.

Anything provocative?

3 minutes ago, taniwha said:
27 minutes ago, eugeneonegin said:

I like the way he ended up saying it, doesn't have the same ring by slipping in an a.

By the way I wonder what the last words to be said on the moon were.

Anything provocative?

They will be recorded and somewhere on the internet. I didn't realise there were about a dozen or so moon walkers- obviously the public lost interest after the initial excitement.

We all have pressing personal agendas.

Edited by eugeneonegin
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, eugeneonegin said:

They will be recorded and somewhere on the internet. I didn't realise there were about a dozen or so moon walkers- obviously the public lost interest after the initial excitement.

True that!  I ran a quick search and found the record ... brace yourself.

The last words ever said were "..oh God, it looks like they're from.. (inaudible).. go, go, go, go, go...(static pause) ... .." end, though others remember muffled crying.... B)

But, seriously, the last words are a story in themselves, and for anyone else who would like to know, this read is very interesting..

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/12/what-were-the-last-words-spoken-on-the-moon/266287/

• Like 2

NASA, Neil, Buzz and Mike saved Teddy K's career by pushing Mary Jo below the fold on all the newspapers.

Remember watching it live on TV. I thought by now we would have colonized the Moon and Mars. Might take a wee bit longer....

I remember watching the event on TV 'as it happened' (I know there was a short time delay in transmission). Seemed no reason to disbelieve it at the time and I haven't changed my mind. Just can't believe 48 years have passed so quickly.