Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Citing Recusal, Trump Says He Wouldn’t Have

ExpandMyMind

WASHINGTON — President Trump said on Wednesday that he never would have appointed Attorney General Jeff Sessions had he known Mr. Sessions would recuse himself from overseeing the Russia investigation that has dogged his presidency, calling the decision “very unfair to the president.”

[Read excerpts of The Times’s interview with President Trump.]

In a remarkable public break with one of his earliest political supporters, Mr. Trump complained that Mr. Sessions’s decision ultimately led to the appointment of a special counsel that should not have happened. “Sessions should have never recused himself, and if he was going to recuse himself, he should have told me before he took the job and I would have picked somebody else,” Mr. Trump said.

In a wide-ranging interview with The New York Times, the president also accused James B. Comey, the F.B.I. director he fired in May, of trying to leverage a dossier of compromising material to keep his job. Mr. Trump criticized both the acting F.B.I. director who has been filling in since Mr. Comey’s dismissal and the deputy attorney general who recommended it. And he took on Robert S. Mueller III, the special counsel now leading the investigation into Russian meddling in last year’s election.

https://nyti.ms/2vDPbrF 

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/19/us/politics/trump-interview-sessions-russia.html?smid=tw-share&pagewanted=all

Read some of the reaction Tweets here. He's thrown the man right under the bus.

• Like 3

All politics aside, I'm starting to be very concerned for our system of checks and balances. There's a reason why we have it. It's hard to tell what's just a rant, and what to take, seriously.

• Like 2

Oh my various gods, that was awful.  I thought half way through, if he says "tough" one more time I am going to barf.  If the job is too "tough" for him, then he should resign.  Talking about how the French president liked holding his hand, what kind of talk is that from leader of my nation. The guy is an embarrassment.  He is an example of what can go wrong in a democracy when the people, are misinformed and don't do their homework in elections. It all just makes me sick.  

trumprodserling.jpg

We are doomed....

• Like 4

Let's bring the alternative argument to the table. Trump hired Sessions as Attorney General which shows a lot of trust and expectation. Sessions then recuses himself as soon as the water starts getting hot, leaving the Trump Admin out to be flogged by the MSM and providing essentially 0 backup or loyalty to his team.

Trump throwing Sessions under the bus is returning the favor. A "thanks for nothing" statement. Chop Sessions - his Marijuana policies are as draconian and useless as he is.

Edit to add--

For comparison, Loretta Lynch was working over time to squash the Hillary investigation and Hillary wasn't even the President. Remember when she *coincidentally* met Bill Clinton on an airport runway just days before Hillary appeared before Comey? I am not saying Sessions should have gone to the same lengths to obstruct justice but a little effort on his part could have gone a long way for his career.

Edited by Dark_Grey
  • Like 1

The man was damned if he did, damned if he didn't.  The focus would have been relentlessly on HIM and he decided to do the honorable thing and recuse.  What he should have known is that his enemies are RELENTLESS.  He should have known that and acted accordingly.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

Let's bring the alternative argument to the table. Trump hired Sessions as Attorney General which shows a lot of trust and expectation. Sessions then recuses himself as soon as the water starts getting hot, leaving the Trump Admin out to be flogged by the MSM and providing essentially 0 backup or loyalty to his team.

Trump throwing Sessions under the bus is returning the favor. A "thanks for nothing" statement. 

His "team" should be the US, not trump. He needed to recuse himself. It would be unethical for him to oversee an investigation that was investigating him.

• Like 4

Just now, Grandpa Greenman said:

......................can go wrong in a democracy when the people, are misinformed and don't do their homework in elections. It all just makes me sick.  

people did not elect him, electors did, it has 0 to do with democracy,  you can now feel better about this at least.
but you should still be sick of what actual democrats and liberals do to the country right now.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

His "team" should be the US, not trump. He needed to recuse himself. It would be unethical for him to oversee an investigation that was investigating him.

Ultimately yes, as the AG that's where his loyalty should lie. This is the greasiest 4 months of politics in a long time. I can't believe we aren't even half way through year one and we're already knee-deep in WTF :blink:

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

Ultimately yes, as the AG that's where his loyalty should lie. This is the greasiest 4 months of politics in a long time. I can't believe we aren't even half way through year one and we're already knee-deep in WTF :blink:

Yeah, it's become even more of s sideshow than usual

• Like 4

i think this is all part of the plan,  if this circus continues and i have no doubt it will,  people will soon enough lose interest, and it will die down, he can not easily win constant attacks from basically all sides, but if he takes it up a notch or 2, every month, it will be boring and uninteresting.   it's actually a great plan, and he keeps it going by his tweets,

4 minutes ago, aztek said:

i think this is all part of the plan,  if this circus continues and i have no doubt it will,  people will soon enough lose interest, and it will die down, he can not easily win constant attacks from basically all sides, but if he takes it up a notch or 2, every month, it will be boring and uninteresting.   it's actually a great plan, and he keeps it going by his tweets,

You're saying he's intentionally ramping the hype until it boils over and America gets "Trump news fatigue"? Damn, I feel that already. Sometimes I come on UM, see another thread that starts with "Trump" and my arms feel like they weigh a thousand pounds. The constant fact checking and debating gets exhausting after a few months.

• Like 1

Just now, Dark_Grey said:

You're saying he's intentionally ramping the hype until it boils over and America gets "Trump news fatigue"? 

yea, pretty much.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grandpa Greenman said:

Oh my various gods, that was awful.  I thought half way through, if he says "tough" one more time I am going to barf.  If the job is too "tough" for him, then he should resign.  Talking about how the French president liked holding his hand, what kind of talk is that from leader of my nation. The guy is an embarrassment.  He is an example of what can go wrong in a democracy when the people, are misinformed and don't do their homework in elections. It all just makes me sick.  

trumprodserling.jpg

We are doomed....

The smart people did their homework, Hillary was defeated. Sorry Trump was the other choice.

• Like 3

This is exactly what I mean by poor leadership.   He picked Sessions to be on his team and then publicly chastises him.  All the while shouting, "Poor me!"

If I have a problem with one of my guys, I would speak to him privately about it.  Not go to the media and berate him publicly.  That's not management or leadership.  

What is worst, is even though I don't particularly care for Sessions, he did the right and honorable thing by recusing himself.  Maybe Trump should have been more clear in saying that he wanted someone to obstruct for him when he was doing the interviews.

Edited by Gromdor
  • Like 6

session is modern day harry anslinger.  yes trump made a poor choice, prbly 20-30 years ago session would be a good choice. but not today.

i honestly do not care how their relationship is, and who backstabed who,   i'm just glad that we may see sessions replaced, thou rule of the tumb, i should not be too glad, next guy may be even worst. 

• Like 2

He never should have hired the old school, deep south racist anyway.  http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/18/politics/jeff-sessions-racism-allegations/index.html 

As Sessions learned that some members of the Klan had smoked marijuana on the evening of the slaying, he said aloud that he thought the KKK was: "OK until I found out they smoked pot."

n 1986, Reagan nominated him to become a federal judge, a lifetime appointment requiring confirmation by the US Senate. It was during a hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee that Sessions' comments about the KKK became an issue.
Thomas Figures, an assistant US Attorney who worked under Sessions in Mobile, testified that he was present when Sessions made the remark and said he did not regard it as a joke.

Figures, who was African-American and passed away last year, also told committee members that Sessions had called him "boy" on several occasions and once cautioned him to "be careful what you say to white folks" after Figures had spoken harshly to a secretary who was white.
Another federal prosecutor, J. Gerald Hebert, testified that Sessions had called the ACLU and NAACP "un-American" and "communist-inspired." According to Hebert, Sessions said the two groups "forced civil rights down the throats of people."

And you see how much Sessions is against pot.

Sessions just made it easier for the States or Feds to take cash from you, and keep it without any charges bought up or filed. An example: You get pulled over for doing 77 in a 70 MPH zone. The Police ask for your drivers license, registration and proof of insurance. You open your wallet to get your drivers license when the LEO notices  you have a thick layer of bill stuffed in your wallet. He ask" How much is that?" You tell him, $5,000. I just withdrew it to go buy a truck and the seller wants $5 000 cash only. The Police can confiscate that money without proof of wrongdoing.  And getting it back is extremely hard.  http://thedailycoin.org/2017/07/20/jeff-sessions-moves-make-easier-government-steal-property-innocent-american-citizens/

Asset forfeiture is a disputed practice that allows law enforcement officials to permanently take money and goods from individuals suspected of crime. There is little disagreement among lawmakers, authorities and criminal justice reformers that “no criminal should be allowed to keep the proceeds of their crime.” But in many cases, neither a criminal conviction nor even a criminal charge is necessary — under forfeiture laws in most states and at the federal level, mere suspicion of wrongdoing is enough to allow police to seize items permanently.

This guy was one of the worst ones Trump could have picked for race relations, and now he is at the top of Law enforcement. An absolute POS.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, aztek said:

people did not elect him, electors did, it has 0 to do with democracy,  you can now feel better about this at least.
but you should still be sick of what actual democrats and liberals do to the country right now.

People keep telling about these horrible liberals are doing.  Pray tell me, what are the liberals doing.  I can't see where the liberal agenda gets that much of the chance.  The conservative agenda has yet to really come up with any positive.   Somehow I don't understand how supporting clean water, clean air, educated children, is evil.   

• Like 5

Holy crap. Less than 24 hours after Trump said in this interview that Meuller investigating his family's finances would be crossing a red line, it is revealed that Meuller is investigating Trump's business dealings.

blob:https://www.bloomberg.com/af44a457-e633-41ba-9ef2-310e1bd918f6

And Shep's reaction, on point as it always seems to be regarding this farce:

We know that Trump has been funded by Russians for quite some time (basically since all but one - Russian connected - US bank refused to touch him with a barge pole).

Eric Trump conversation:

“As we were setting off, I said, ‘Eric, who’s funding? I know no banks — because of the recession, the Great Recession — have touched a golf course. You know, no one’s funding any kind of golf construction. It’s dead in the water the last four or five years.’ And this is what he said. He said, ‘Well, we don’t rely on American banks. We have all the funding we need out of Russia.’ I said, ‘Really?’ And he said, ‘Oh, yeah. We’ve got some guys that really, really love golf, and they’re really invested in our programs. We just go there all the time.’ Now that was three years ago, so it was pretty interesting.”

Donald Jr:

And in terms of high-end product influx into the US, Russians make up a pretty disproportionate cross-section of a lot of our assets; say in Dubai, and certainly with our project in SoHo and anywhere in New York. We see a lot of money pouring in from Russia,

So I think that if they do have something to hide regarding finances, the Trump will be absolutely ****ting themselves right about now.

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 3

Money laundering, such a wonderful word, it falls off the lips so nicely during impeachment hearings. .  B)

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Grandpa Greenman said:

Money laundering, such a wonderful word, it falls off the lips so nicely during impeachment hearings. .  B)

If all of this Trump hysteria finally causes the dam to burst over the much, much more criminal and treasonous dealings of the Clintons (and Bushes), then I'm all for it.

I frankly don't see how they can keep the lid on that scandal much longer...and perhaps Trump knows it.

3 hours ago, South Alabam said:

He needs Trey Gowdy to replace Sessions.

I couldn't agree more. Heck, I would take Judge Judy at this point. Holder and Sessions are two sides of the same coin. Both men are not good fits for Attorney General. We went from one extreme to one extreme. Law and order were marginalized under Holder. The Constitution is marginalized under Sessions. It's not the best time to be a libertarian.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grandpa Greenman said:

People keep telling about these horrible liberals are doing.  

yes people keep telling, tv keeps showing, internet news sites keep writing,  our board keeps talking about it in multiple threads, yet you still do not see it, i suspect telling you again wont make a difference. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, aztek said:

yes people keep telling, tv keeps showing, internet news sites keep writing,  our board keeps talking about it in multiple threads, yet you still do not see it, i suspect telling you again wont make a difference. 

And liberals keep denying.

• Like 2