Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cecil the lion's son shot dead

Claire.

Cecil the Lion's Son Shot Dead, 2 Years After His Father

The 6-year-old son of Cecil the Lion was shot and killed on July 7 just outside Hwange National Park in Zimbabwe, meeting the same end his father did in 2015, according to news reports. The young lion, Xanda, was the pride male of a group that included two lionesses and several cubs.

Read more: Live Science

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Claire. said:

Cecil the Lion's Son Shot Dead, 2 Years After His Father

The 6-year-old son of Cecil the Lion was shot and killed on July 7 just outside Hwange National Park in Zimbabwe, meeting the same end his father did in 2015, according to news reports. The young lion, Xanda, was the pride male of a group that included two lionesses and several cubs.

Read more: Live Science

That is very upsetting! :angry:

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

That is very upsetting! :angry:

Yes, very much so. I got so angry I could not finish the article.

• Like 4

National Geographic's article on the subject with additional information and photos.

What's also sad is that more lions might die as a result of this latest killing. From the article: "Although it's uncertain whether Xanda was an alpha male, Dollar said the lion's death could be even more tragic for his pride if he was—other lions could die if a new alpha male tried to take over."

Edited by Claire.
Fixed source url.
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, Claire. said:

Yes, very much so. I got so angry I could not finish the article.

After Cecil was murdered in cold blood I used a photo of him in my sig here. I took it down after someone mentioned to me that they didn't want to be reminded of his death at every post I make. I take these killings very personally.

I was also thinking about this tiger who was killed at the San Francisco zoo after being provoked.

Edited by .ZZ.
fixed link
  • Like 6

11 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

After Cecil was murdered in cold blood I used a photo of him in my sig here. I took it down after someone mentioned to me that they didn't want to be reminded of his death at every post I make. I take these killings very personally.

I was also thinking about this tiger who was killed at the San Francisco zoo after being provoked.

I remember that story. Those guys were complete idiots. Look at the tragedy that followed.

• Like 4

I cant begin to decscribe how senseless and disturbing this is.Also baiting animals and luring them to an area to be shot? Cowards like this should be stripped and sent out running for the bush themselves with a 6hr head start..then hunted down and left for the hyenas. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, khol said:

I cant begin to decscribe how senseless and disturbing this is.Also baiting animals and luring them to an area to be shot? Cowards like this should be stripped and sent out running for the bush themselves with a 6hr head start..then hunted down and left for the hyenas. 

A six hour head start? You're much too kind. I think they should be baited with something- a lion decoy?- then shot in a non vital, very painful area, and left to limp around for almost two days   like Cecil did. When that time is up, a few more non lethal shots would be administered. They would be left to bleed out slowly with plenty of time to reflect on how it feels to be left to suffer. I'm usually against violence, but this really upsets me!

• Like 4

Better yet remove the gun and throw him into a pride of lions..let them finish the job. Hiding behind a gun and blatenly blowing away a lion is cowardly and sick... a case of beer might work as bait 

lion-roar-getty-960x540.jpg

• Like 3

• Africa cannot afford wildlife sanctuary costs and protection
  • International clients are willing to pay big dollars to hunt African wildlife
  • Animals with value are worth protecting
  • Lions and many other African big game are essentially saved from extinction by high fence hunting operations
  • Breeding lions for rich hunters to fly in and kill, thus saving the lions.

"African Wildlife Management 101" - if it doesn't have a dollar value, it's not worth saving. Life is that cheap on the continent.

Edit to add--

I am personally not a fan of hunting predators except in the case of population control. In a way, I am glad these hunters are paying top dollar to African conservationists but a donation works just as well...

Edited by Dark_Grey

What is bothersome at your tiresome approach to this... as Ive heard it many times....is at the end of the day an incredible animal is shot. Killed. Not for meat. Not because its become a threat to human populations. But literally as a trophy.Tho it is equipped with huge teeth, powerful jaws and claws...hind quarters designed to lunge and defend, it is powerless against bullet. In fact it doesnt even know its coming a cant even defend itself. The person pulling the trigger is hiding , camouflanged. The animal has no idea. I cant think of a better definition for cowardice 

There are people who continue to try and justify this by saying well if it wasnt for the funds generated there wouldnt be lions at all. And as it stands I cant comment if its entirely big game hunts that save these animals 

But if it is, as a sociey its come to this then ? We encourage and rely on trophy hunters and accept there mentality so we can save the animal? We havent the ability to develop other strategies? Other sources of finance? This is what I find disturbing. Acts like trophy hunting and the mentality that goes with it mirrors whats happening to the rest of the planet. Humans believing they are seperate and can exploit, pillage, kill and destroy at there leisure when in fact Earth is all we got and the paradigm needs to shift.That paying to kill animals in this way helps fuel the justification that its ok which its not. That learning to respect the animal and its enviorment is what will ultimately save this planet as a whole...you know, so we can have a home for our kids and granchildren..simple stuff like that:wacko:

Edited by khol
  • Like 3

The world needs a new superhero. Where are you Lionman!?

• Like 3

18 hours ago, taniwha said:

These are the questions we need to be asking

• Like 2

18 hours ago, taniwha said:

They are busy shutting down lemon aid stands. 

• Like 2

On 22/07/2017 at 3:34 AM, taniwha said:

here he is  

7092a03ae915406a5b159853943d25b2.jpg

• Like 2