Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Abe Lincoln mystery 'almost certainly' solved

Claire.

I had never heard of this letter as I am not American so I looked it up and it is a beautiful letter, as apt today as it was then 

poor Mrs Bixby , what a sacrifice her family made x

• Like 4

I don't understand why the author of the letter is important.  It's beautifully written for a family that suffered a great loss. Who wrote it isn't important (to me anywho),  it's the letters' content that is the masterpiece and the grieve it brought the tragedy...

• Like 6

To lose 5 sons to a just cause....

• Like 1

On 21/07/2017 at 5:38 PM, Ozfactor said:

I had never heard of this letter as I am not American so I looked it up and it is a beautiful letter, as apt today as it was then 

poor Mrs Bixby , what a sacrifice her family made x

There's something familiar about that letter, ahhh yes, found it...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Boozemonkey said:

To lose 5 sons to a just cause....

Lydia Bixby did not lose all five sons. Two sons (and possibly a third one) survived. One deserted the army, one was honorably discharged, and another either deserted or died a prisoner of war. I don't know how the confusion occurred and why the condolence letter mentioned all five of them.

Edited by Claire.
Typo.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

They've had wordprint analysis for decades now. It's been used from everything to determining whether Shakespeare or Marlowe wrote certain poems to identifying how many different people contributed to the Book of Mormon. It's not a new technology, bit I'm glad to see it's still in use.