Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What has happened to mercy or pity?

and-then

4 minutes ago, Lilly said:

It's not new, just more common nowadays IMO. I'm old enough to remember what society was like 50 years ago. Being older gives me a perspective younger folks don't have.

More media outlets and a vastly bigger population then it was 50 years ago. So it makes sense that there will be more horrid events happening and in the public eye. 

Increased awareness in our interrconnected world isn't the same as a increase in rate. 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 8

5 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

More media outlets and a vastly bigger population then it was 50 years ago. So it makes sense that there will be more horrid events happening and in the public eye. 

Increased awareness in our interrconnected world isn't the same as a increase in rate. 

And cellphone usage. Everybody is filming themselves and eachother all the time. It makes the news more often because our media usage allows us to capture these moments more regularly.

• Like 4

I would like to think that people are no more immoral today than years ago...but it just doesn't seem that way to me. I see society as having changed in many aspects and not all the changes are positive, this being one of the 'not so positive' changes.

• Like 4

Society has changed Lilly. In many ways it is different. Some of it bad, some of it good. But definetly different.

We use different words and terms talk about different subjects and our priorities have swung wildly one generation to the next.

Definte changes.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Lilly said:

It's not new, just more common nowadays IMO. I'm old enough to remember what society was like 50 years ago. Being older gives me a perspective younger folks don't have.

I agree totally.

Things are worse now than 50 years ago, and you and I are qualified to make that statement.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, .ZZ. said:

I agree totally.

Things are worse now than 50 years ago, and you and I are qualified to make that statement.

Explain to me what "things" exactly.

Because fifty years ago you wouldn't of heard this story due to the fact they wouldn't of been able to film it and then post it on social media 

2 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Explain to me what "things" exactly.

Because fifty years ago you wouldn't of heard this story due to the fact they wouldn't of been able to film it and then post it on social media 

You want me to go there? Don't tell me what I may or may not have heard.

I'm going to snip my reply right here before I say something I'll regret.

• Like 4

I wonder when these teens later gain more maturity as becoming adults...they will look back and remember this tragedy as something they could have possibly prevented by helping this poor man. I would hate to go through the rest of my life, with something like this on my conscience, and feel such shame. But that's just me.

Edited by Astra.
  • Like 9

10 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

You want me to go there? Don't tell me what I may or may not have heard.

I'm going to snip my reply right here before I say something I'll regret.

I'm going off the news story. It says they found out because someone saw the video posted on social media and told authorities. 

I would prefer you yo go there yes that is why I replied lol. And I know I'm typing so you can't hear tone but I really don't mean that in an antagonistic way

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

Pretty messed up.  

I do see a lot of parallels with this and the healthcare debate.  If a person is hurt or dying, is it the responsibility of those who can render aid to do so with no profit to themselves?  Does the person have the "right" to expect to be saved by others?  

These days people will will whip out their iPhones to record an accident without even considering rendering aid.  It's an ugly testament, but it is what we are.

Edited by Gromdor
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I'm going off the news story. It says they found out because someone saw the video posted on social media and told authorities. 

I would prefer you yo go there yes that is why I replied lol. And I know I'm typing so you can't hear tone but I really don't mean that in an antagonistic way

I won't speak for ZZ or Lily, but I am mid 50's. 50 years ago I could ride my bike all over the city and you didn't have to worry as much as you do now. My children grew up never out of my sight. There have been a few teenage girls nearby in Alabama who have disappeared, never to be seen again, one merely hauling trash to the end of the driveway.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Fair enough. You caught me at a bad time.

• Like 5

Essential reading ...

~

Human minds : an exploration / Margaret Donaldson.

www.nlb.gov.sg/biblio/6428857
Creator: Donaldson, Margaret. Publisher: London : Allen Lane the Penguin Press, 1992. Format: Books. Physical Description: 314 p. Identifier ...

'Human Minds' - Margaret Donaldson - The Independent

www.independent.co.uk/.../book-review-plain-sailing-in-seas-of-the-mind-human-mi...

Dec 7, 1992 - THE previous book by Margaret Donaldson, Children's Minds, was widely regarded as a thoughtful and necessary corrective to the more ...

~

Margaret donaldson: Human minds: An exploration. Allen lane/the ...

onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/bs.3830380410/abstract
by AA Harrison - ‎1993

Margaret donaldson: Human minds: An exploration. Allen lane/the penguin press, New York and London, 1993. 314 pp.

~

Found it indispensable and quite well presented for the layperson when I struggled with the Freudian and Jungian lingo that made my mind tumbling in endless circles ...

~

Just read an article that said no charges for the teens.  Florida has no law requiring people to render aid or even call for help for a person in distress.  Can't figure out how to link with my cellphone, however.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lilly said:

Its more common because people have video evidence of it. I doubt its any more common then it was 100 years ago.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spartan max2 said:

Oh, I have a serious argument with that.

It isn't the availability, it is the USE that this new tech is being put to that bothers me.

What kind of sick, psycho scumbags would record that in the first place, and then show it off to other people in the second place?

"Disconnect" hell.... more like heartless, soul-less and dead from the neck up, all at the same time. 

• Like 9

I'm not sure how many were in this 'group' of young teens. But in many cases there is usually a leader of the pack...and the others in the group tend to be followers. Peer pressure could have played a big part. If the head honcho (usually the bully) of the group whipped out his / her phone, and started laughing whilst also videoing...the others would have probably joined in. Even if one or two of them knew that this was kinda wrong....it would not have been seen as the 'cool'  thing to do, if they wanted to help / and or get help. So instead, they go along with it...rather than be bullied and or be ostracised from the rest of the pack. 

• Like 4

The thing i really don't get about this younger up and coming generation is the utter lack of looking ahead at future consequences...

There may be no law requiring one to assist others but when some lil dumbass and their friends record such things of them laughing while watching someones loved one die and then go bragging about it and posting it on their social media...don't be suprised if a vigilante family member or friend comes looking and bringing hell with them!

• Like 7

the blurred lines between alternate and virtual realities ... between the TV and internet ...

~

[00.02:02]

~

• Like 2