Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Confederate

http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/tv/game-thrones-creators-craft-alt-reality-post-civil-war-america-n784696

David Benioff and Dan Weiss, who adapted "Game of Thrones" from George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" books, will write and direct an original series called "Confederate," HBO said on Wednesday. 

The show is set in an alternative reality in a nation where slavery is still legal and southern U.S. states have seceded. HBO said the series "chronicles the events leading to the Third American Civil War."

It will explore perspectives including freedom fighters, slave hunters, politicians, journalists and abolitionists on both sides of the divide, HBO said in a statement.

This was mentioned in the GoT thread but after a group text convo about it, it needs a thread. I want to hear opinions.

I instantly thought "controversy" when I heard of it this morning yet the it sounds interesting. However I think the very concept of this show is going to rile people up like nothing else. There's no other topic more sensitive than American slavery and no amount of good story telling is going to change that. One guy said to me but yea Thrones is full of slavery. It's not American black slavery though. Who's been hankering for a show about what if slavery never ended? Republicans right? Ha yea, beat you to it, nice try. I'll be surprised if this show makes it to production. Seems insanely controversial.

Edited by F3SS
  • Like 3

It sure sound like the best scenario for full display of bad taste. ^_^

So, it's set in 21st century? A lot could have happen in the world history with two world wars, cold war, the long depression, the great depression, war on alcohol, war on drugs, war on terrorists, Vietnam, Korea, UN, apartheid... The place both North and South US would have taken in the world affairs and economy. If done properly, the subject could be fascinating, but the I fear they won't get there and just stay with the day to day stuff without bothering with the pesky details such as how both USA could emerge as world power instead of being another Belize or Jamaica.

Which make my wonder, would South US be with the German-Italian-Japanese axis in WW2? Would that have bring the fight in North American inland?

• Like 1

I can't imagine any of our history would've played out in any similar way considering America is split, weaker, on the verge of a third civil war. Ww1 would've been different, ww2 may not have happened, no Vietnam war, all our presidents not the same... They have a clean slate to write big fiction but the imagery of the abuses of slaves will have to be treated carefully. Seems like tough material for an ongoing show and better suited for a movie but who knows. It's a bold idea for sure.

• Like 1

Starting from here:

sn_ts_030411_map.jpg

There could even still be Indian territories full of bisons, that would change the North US dynamics a lot.

Edited by Gingitsune
  • Like 3

Nazi Germany winning WWII was not an unlikely possibility, which is why The man in the high castle works.   Slavery surviving to present day in the US is an absurdity and the rural south outlasting the North for 150 years is not realistic in any way so this story will also be an absurdity and is good for nothing but instigating hostility.

9 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

Nazi Germany winning WWII was not an unlikely possibility, which is why The man in the high castle works.   Slavery surviving to present day in the US is an absurdity and the rural south outlasting the North for 150 years is not realistic in any way so this story will also be an absurdity and is good for nothing but instigating hostility.

Is it really? Look for how long segregation has lasted, even though slavery had been abolished. 

• Like 1

Somehow this seems like a setup to me. They might have high view ratings to see what it is about, then claim they are all Trump voters watching or some B.S like that. This show is for a nefarious reason is my guess.

I think it's an interesting concept, and you should not take it so personally. I certainly don't take the 1.000.000 German villains in US cinema personally. 

If you were talking to me, I'm not taking it personally.

David-Harewood.jpg
Actor David Harewood wrote about 'Confederate' in a Twitter post, “Good luck finding black actors for this project.” (Getty Images)

This is a hard subject especially considering the plot of slavery never ending.  People have to deal with racism on a daily basis in real life. It is just not a good idea in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

If you were talking to me, I'm not taking it personally.

David-Harewood.jpg
Actor David Harewood wrote about 'Confederate' in a Twitter post, “Good luck finding black actors for this project.” (Getty Images)

This is a hard subject especially considering the plot of slavery never ending.  People have to deal with racism on a daily basis in real life. It is just not a good idea in my opinion.

People have to deal with Neo Nazis in every day life here, too. We can still accept fiction like 'The Man in the High Castle'. Why? Because it's fiction. 

Why would it be hard to find black actors for that? I doubt it's going to be a glorification of slavery, but rather a dystopian setting. And they are actors. Part of their job is portraying unpleasant experiences. According to this logic, no actress would have ever starred in a rape scene. 

• Like 1

On 7/20/2017 at 8:52 PM, F3SS said:

better suited for a movie but who knows. It's a bold idea for sure.

Think i saw that movie already..."Confederate States of America" :whistle:

They better really think this idea through...

• Like 1