Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

SpaceX ditches plans for 2018 Mars landing

UM-Bot

The Martian atmosphere is so thin that the parachutes required for the replacement vehicle will have to be massive, but i image a wing styled 'chute would allow a certain ammount of glide control to improve landing accuracy, however great a parachute is, it's not going to help you get back into orbit, then again, if you can safely parachute land a fully fueled surface to orbit vehicle on the surface of Mars you stand a good chance of getting back to the

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EBE Hybrid said:

The Martian atmosphere is so thin that the parachutes required for the replacement vehicle will have to be massive, but i image a wing styled 'chute would allow a certain ammount of glide control to improve landing accuracy, however great a parachute is, it's not going to help you get back into orbit, then again, if you can safely parachute land a fully fueled surface to orbit vehicle on the surface of Mars you stand a good chance of getting back to the

Didn't turn out too well for the landers, either, I reckon.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, BeastieRunner said:

Didn't turn out too well for the landers, either, I reckon.

It does seem that a lot of Mars probes have stacked it on landing, but maybe thats because the Martians living near the pyramids of cydonia are carting of the Earth Mars probes to see what they can flog 'em for on martian ebay, or get them valued on martiam bargain hunt:)

This doesn't bode well for Mars One then does it? How they are going to get out of this almighty hole they've dug for themselves is anyone's guess.