Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery 'creature' photographed in Scotland

Still Waters

People in the west Stirlingshire village of Killearn could be giving Loch Ness a run for its money.

Main Street resident Jimmy Wright (66) snapped this odd sight while walking his son’s dog on Crow Hill - known locally as ‘the cowfield’.

These days such things cause ripples on social media.

Jimmy told the Observer: “I put it on Facebook - but I was taken aback at just how much response it received. It definitely has people talking.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/residents-stirlingshire-village-react-sighting-10823510

• Like 2

Yeah, it was a treestump. Was all over Facebook.

• Like 5

"Mystery creature"?

If it's stationary, it's most likely a tree stump.

If it wears a kilt, plays the bagpipes, and dances a jig, it's probably a Scot.

• Like 3

I was looking for a creature on the wood.    Apparently, there isn't much happening in that town. A stump causes great excitement.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Yeah, it was a treestump.

Which makes it a close relative of Nessie, if not Nessie herself ;) 

• Like 4

The legendary Pareidoliasaurus! :o

• Like 5

3 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Yeah, it was a treestump. Was all over Facebook.

Has the photographer admitted that it was a tree stump or is that just a claim by skeptics? If he admits it was a hoax then I think that would be reprehensible for a retired NHS general manager for mental health services in Glasgow. I believe cryptozoology to be a serious field. Now, I would have no problem with this amusement if he was honest at the end of his initial reporting. Or was it the news reporter hoaxing us?

So, do we know if the photographer admits it is a hoax?

Just now, papageorge1 said:

Has the photographer admitted that it was a tree stump or is that just a claim by skeptics? If he admits it was a hoax then I think that would be reprehensible for a retired NHS general manager for mental health services in Glasgow. I believe cryptozoology to be a serious field. Now, I would have no problem with this amusement if he was honest at the end of his initial reporting. Or was it the news reporter hoaxing us?

So, do we know if the photographer admits it is a hoax?

I have no idea. It was other people that had also seen it who said it was a tree stump.

Does the photographer have to admit a hoax to reassure the gullible that it was indeed a hoax?

Is it reprehensible for a " retired NHS general manager for mental health services in Glasgow " to possibly have a good laugh? No.

This is absolutely hilarious.

http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2017/07/land-nessie-reported-by-dog-walker-in-scotland/

Being concerned about the safety of his fellow Stirlingers (Sterlingites? Stirlinguists?), Wright immediately reported the unusual and possibly dangerous creature to the police, the military, wildlife experts and local hunters.

What about those holding out hope that the lack of Nessie sightings this year may be due to the monster going mobile (and apparently shrinking – curse you, climate change!) and moving to Stirlingshire or one of its nearby lochs?

The opening line says it all

If the Loch Ness Monster is spotted on land rather than in the water, is it still a tree stump?

• Like 1

Just now, ExpandMyMind said:

I have no idea. It was other people that had also seen it who said it was a tree stump.

Ah, there are always skeptical claims against any crypto claims. I am not making a final conclusion then, but I do lean to the stump explanation. If it is a stump, I am nonplussed by the photographer or reporters behavior. They might say 'harmless fun', but I would disagree without an honest disclosure in the end.

• Like 1

I would say he posted it on Facebook for fun just to see what comments it generated. However, there's method in his madness so good luck to him.

“At the end of the day if it gets people talking and gives everyone a bit of escape from all the bad news there seems to be at the moment then it’s all good. If it brightens up someone’s day and makes some money for charity all the better.

• Like 3

There is no need to admit a joke when the joke is so obvious. I can't find anyone on the internet taking this seriously.

Even Coast to Coast sees it as a joke.

A funny comment: "Looks like a weather balloon. It always is, isn't it"

17 minutes ago, stereologist said:

There is no need to admit a joke when the joke is so obvious. 

What was so obvious to a newbie to the subject?

5 hours ago, acute said:

"Mystery creature"?

If it's stationary, it's most likely a tree stump.

If it wears a kilt, plays the bagpipes, and dances a jig, it's probably a Scot.

LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

A newbie on what subject...fake nessie stories or tree stumps?

10 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

A newbie on what subject...fake nessie stories or tree stumps?

This particular creature/stump.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

That it's a tree stump, nothing more, nothing less. I'd assume it's OK to assume that level of knowledge. As in, a tree stump presented in any context is still obviously a tree stump. It's a tree stump. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, oldrover said:

That it's a tree stump, nothing more, nothing less. I'd assume it's OK to assume that level of knowledge. As in, a tree stump presented in any context is still obviously a tree stump. It's a tree stump. 

Balderdash!! Absolutely not clear or intended to be clear in the OP photo.

Should be titled  "Interesting tree stump  photographed"

45 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Balderdash?  :hmm:   What do you think it is?

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

Are you on drugs or something? It is obviously a stump.

2 hours ago, Merc14 said:

Should be titled  "Interesting tree stump  photographed"

Balderdash?  :hmm:   What do you think it is?

A photo meant to confuse the innocent without confessing up in the article. Despicable!!

59 minutes ago, stereologist said:

Are you on drugs or something? It is obviously a stump.

I've never done drugs. Why is it so obvious? It could look like a baby nessie out on stroll too!! And I pride myself on my meticulous attention to detail!! There was nothing obvious to a man with my level of fine discernment. I am calling despicable journalism!!

6 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

I am calling despicable journalism!!

Why? You're not meant to take it seriously. 

• Like 1