Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Girl, 5, fined £150 for lemonade stand

Unusual Tournament

Girl, 5, fined £150 for lemonade stand

A five-year-old girl was fined £150 by a council for selling 50p cups of lemonade to festival goers.

The girl's father Andre Spicer said his daughter had set up the stall in Mile End, east London, while thousands of music fans were on their way to the Lovebox Festival at the weekend. 

Mr Spicer said his daughter burst into tears and told him "I've done a bad thing". 

Tower Hamlets Council has since cancelled the fine and apologised. 

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-40679075

• Like 3

That's really too bad. :( My daughter and her friends set up stands every chance they are allowed and it totally makes their day when the local Police Officers pull up for a glass. Hope her entrepreneurial spirit isn't crushed too badly.

• Like 8

are there any rules regarding lemonade stands in london? like license , or inspection certificate? since she sells items that people consume,  spot where you can sell, and where you can not?

if yes, that it may sound harsh, but i'm with city council,  but i do agree he is a ratbag. but not for giving a ticket but for backing off.

we live by the rules, she needs to learn it from young age,  she may have broke one, or two, she got punished.  now what has she learned? if you cry and complain, you get off??? that is a bad lesson to teach.  so what is stopping her to brake more rules knowing she can cry, tell daddy and she wont face consequences,. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, aztek said:

are there any rules regarding lemonade stands in london? like license , or inspection certificate? since she sells items that people consume,  spot where you can sell, and where you can not?

if yes, that it may sound harsh, but i'm with city council,  but i do agree he is a ratbag. but not for giving a ticket but for backing off.

we live by the rules, she needs to learn it from young age,  she may have broke one, or two, she got punished.  now what has she learned? if you cry and complain, you get off??? that is a bad lesson to teach.  so what is stopping her to brake more rules knowing she can cry, tell daddy and she wont face consequences,. 

You are absolutely right.

There are many rules with regard to trading, and licencing, food and drink supply.

This is to  a large extent to safeguard public health.

If we allowed unlicensed traders in London to sell food and drink in the street, we would not have hundreds of Eastern European gypsies sleeping rough and living high, we would have thousands. Selling goodness knows what, to unsuspecting tourists.

For decades, Mediterranean tourist  resort vendors have had to display their licenses along with their menus. 

I know the UK is going downhill with Brexit, but we still have to adhere to certain modern standards.

• Like 2

Come on people this is a little girl trying to be a kid

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

seriously what a ratbag.

That's the wort of pricks that people invite and give power over their lives these days. Seriously, they despise themselves and their neighbors so much that they WANT people like that to control their own lives, and the lives of everyone else.

They had to back down, this time, but who knows what it will be like next year?

• Like 2

Next we ban garage sales because you don't have to pay tax on your crap

• Like 4

I see what's coming. I want to sell an old t.v. on say Ebay the government will want a cut.  You sell it for say 400 bucks they tax you 200. It will happen

Edited by The Silver Thong
  • Like 3

What would have been wrong with having a word with this child (and her father hovering nearby) to explain the whys and wherefores of the situation.  Asking them to pack up and go home and leaving it as an educational opportunity.  A lot of 'enforcers' like council inspectors, traffic wardens etc really do seem to lack any compassion or common sense.

• Like 3

Citrus Laundering is a serious offence!

They should lock her up, and throw away the key lime.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, The Silver Thong said:

I see what's coming. I want to sell an old t.v. on say Ebay the government will want a cut.  You sell it for say 400 bucks they tax you 200. It will happen

In the UK we pay tax on any income.

• Like 1

Good thing, because if encouraged, multiple kids and some not so good parents would encourage or force their kids to sell stuff and since it's a food item can lead to public health issues and without anyone to claim responsibility. if you really want to get into food industry get proper certificate and permits. 

26 minutes ago, eugeneonegin said:

Even on a private sale for example you sell you neighbor a t.v. you have to pay a tax on it? 

22 minutes ago, kartikg said:

Good thing, because if encouraged, multiple kids and some not so good parents would encourage or force their kids to sell stuff and since it's a food item can lead to public health issues and without anyone to claim responsibility. if you really want to get into food industry get proper certificate and permits. 

I'm 44 yrs old and wow have things changed since I was a kid. I remember when I was about 10 yrs old and my sister was 8. She would make cup cakes and sell them around the neighborhood.  So if I may ask how much would a permit cost and how many cups of lemon aid would you have to sell at 50 cents a cup to cover the cost of that permit.   

Hopefully these councile members get voted out.

There is a diffrence between the letter and the spirit of the law.

The law was made for a reason yes but that reason wasn't too punish five year old girls selling lemonade 

• Like 2

Whats next. You invite some people over for dinner but need to get a permit first or label your home a restaurant  :huh: I feel bad for the little girl.

Hey I got a new one for the council let's charge kids to play at the park, monkey bars 50 cent a min and a dollar per min on the swings. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Silver Thong said:

Even on a private sale for example you sell you neighbor a t.v. you have to pay a tax on it? 

Yes,we are supposed to declare all income.

In effect, only dealers do.

But street vendors have to declare their income.

27 minutes ago, The Silver Thong said:

Whats next. You invite some people over for dinner but need to get a permit first or label your home a restaurant  :huh: I feel bad for the little girl.

Hey I got a new one for the council let's charge kids to play at the park, monkey bars 50 cent a min and a dollar per min on the swings. 

The council gets income from Council Tax (about £140 per month per household), in return it provides parks and amenities.

So you could say the parents are already paying for their kid's to play in the park.

If you charged guests for meals in your home on a regular basis you would need insurance, and various permissions.

Very little is free in the UK.

Edited by eugeneonegin

4 minutes ago, eugeneonegin said:

Yes,we are supposed to declare all income.

In effect, only dealers do.

But street vendors have to declare their income.

Well I can see that with owning a hot dog cart or something making a living off it you have to pay tax's

However I don't think it's legal at least not here to tax a 5 year old on 50 cents a cup. She or her parents had to build the stand buy the lemons supply the water make the signs that were already taxed at point of purchase. This is the government double dipping imo 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, eugeneonegin said:

The council gets income from Council Tax (about £140 per month per household), in return it provides parks and amenities.

So you could say the parents are already paying for their kid's to play in the park.

Very little is free in the UK.

Like freedom 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eugeneonegin said:

I highly dout anyone in the UK Is paying taxes on their yard sell lol

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, aztek said:

Well, they could have told her "look, you have to have a permit in order to sell food to people. You can either buy one or you have to pack your things, but you definitely can't sell your lemonade as it is now. It's in order to safeguard people, you included, from potential, unwanted, hazards."

In that case she could have learnt something, even useful. 

Assuming you are not ironic, what she learnt instead is that some people are coward pricks, that given an ounce of power, they feel entitled to be bullies and raise their voices with the weaks.

Four enforcement officers against a 5 years old girl? Wow, that's so brave. 

But she also learnt that you should never bow your head in front of bullies and keep quite; instead you speak up and show them for what they are. 

And that laws need to be applied with common sense, not as mindless drones. 

By the way, do enforcers get a commission on the fines? 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, eugeneonegin said:

That's inaccurate. 

If you are an employee, you should fill a tax return only if you got 2,500 pounds or more in untaxed income. 

• Like 1