Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Phobos "PhotoBombs" Mars!

EBE Hybrid

It looks like a glowing speck or star moving swiftly around the surface of Mars. The tiny moon Phobos orbits the red planet in a new time-lapse video released by NASA. The Hubble Space Telescope captured a series of 13 images of Mars over the course of 22 minutes on May 12, 2016—at a time when the red planet was 50 million miles from Earth—and Phobos unexpectedly stole the spotlight.

http://www.newsweek.com/nasa-mars-moon-phobos-orbits-red-planet-beautiful-time-lapse-captured-hubble-640386

• Like 6

Side tracking slightly from the OP,  has anyone else been fortunate enough to scope Jupiter just as it's inner moon was rising?  Happened to me once years and years ago, by pure chance. It would be good to know of anyone else's sightings, no doubt the universe abounds such moments with ease :rolleyes:

Nice post EBE :tu: 

• Like 3

what a strange looking moon Phobos is , great article , thanks for sharing it

• Like 3

On 22/07/2017 at 2:13 AM, taniwha said:

Side tracking slightly from the OP,  has anyone else been fortunate enough to scope Jupiter just as it's inner moon was rising?  Happened to me once years and years ago, by pure chance. It would be good to know of anyone else's sightings, no doubt the universe abounds such moments with ease :rolleyes:

Nice post EBE :tu: 

I like to see which planets I can spot. One night about 4 years ago i was looking at Jupiter through a pair of binocculors and saw a 'speck' next to it. The speck gradually moved and I eventually realised that I was looking at a moon (I've no idea which one),to see a moon orbiting another planet with my own eyes felt great, it made Space feel more 'real'

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EBE Hybrid said:

I like to see which planets I can spot. One night about 4 years ago i was looking at Jupiter through a pair of binocculors and saw a 'speck' next to it. The speck gradually moved and I eventually realised that I was looking at a moon (I've no idea which one),to see a moon orbiting another planet with my own eyes felt great, it made Space feel more 'real'

Wow. Sounds like a really awesome set of binoculars and a great sighting.

The universe is a spectacle there's no doubt about it and to think that it just continues 'happening' before our eyes yet goes about largely unnoticed most of the time, its amazing. Well to be fair no one has supersonic eyes. But I must get hold of a good value backyard telescope. Night's where I live are pitch black.

I remember back to how I felt when I saw that speck of a moon, It was like I was there, in a sense, or at least halfway there, observing it through the vantage of some fantastic spaceship floating patiently in the void.

Space took 10 steps closer,  somehow it got smaller as planets got bigger, but without the illusion of my magic viewing glass I knew  the reality was that the planets and the stars we're out beyond reach, out beyond sight, that the Earth was in solitude and that humans are alone with a sun we can only be thankful for.

I think it's great that our technology has evolved, I just don't think humans have evolved at the same rate. I have real doubts about any manned exploration to the planets. I think robot habitats are the future of Space colonization. Humans just aren't ready yet, and  I don't know if we ever will be, I don't think we will.

I believe that if we look deeply enough through the distance of  space and time we will find out that human life belongs here, and possibly only here, and that's probably a good thing given our human shortfallings.

But if a day comes where humans do evolve to leave this planet, then hear this:

Leave the earth clean and tidy, check that the animals are ok, top up the water, put food in the cuboards and wood in the basket for the next guests, thanks and so long. Good luck :st

9 hours ago, taniwha said:

But I must get hold of a good value backyard telescope. Night's where I live are pitch black.

You're very fortunate to have dark night skies, I live in South London and the light pollution is not good.

I got a second hand, basic refractor telescope from a work colleague, but between the flimsyness of the tripod making it almost impossible to line up, and the light pollution I've had little success (BTW I did take the lens covers off first!), but I could clearly see hat Mars is a planet, not just a light in the sky, so that was cool 

I remember back to how I felt when I saw that speck of a moon, It was like I was there, in a sense, or at least halfway there, observing it through the vantage of some fantastic spaceship floating patiently in the void.

Space took 10 steps closer,  somehow it got smaller as planets got bigger, 

I understand that feeling too, it provides a certain ammount of comfort and satisfaction knowing that there is more to universe than you can see with the naked eye, for me it makes life more meaningful

I think it's great that our technology has evolved, I just don't think humans have evolved at the same rate. I have real doubts about any manned exploration to the planets. I think robot habitats are the future of Space colonization. Humans just aren't ready yet, and  I don't know if we ever will be, I don't think we will.

I believe that if we look deeply enough through the distance of  space and time we will find out that human life belongs here, and possibly only here, and that's probably a good thing given our human shortfallings.

I think that eventually there will be manned missions to Mars, and maybe one day the Asteroids will be mined, but I agree with you that it's unlikely we'll ever colonize other planets.

Maybe one day there will be manned scientific outposts on the Moon and maybe Mars, but I think that I the case of Mars you've probably hit the nail on head suggesting robotic missions being the future (unless engines can be developed that will cut the journey time to weeks and cost far less to fuel than todays chemical rockets)

But if a day comes where humans do evolve to leave this planet, then hear this:

Leave the earth clean and tidy, check that the animals are ok, top up the water, put food in the cuboards and wood in the basket for the next guests, thanks and so long. Good luck :st

Wise words indeed!