Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

FCC Fake DDoS Conspiracy

Use your brain

Inside jobs and coverups, it's all here. I encourage everyone to read the entire link and the sources. Fact check, use reasoning, come to your personal conclusion. The part I quote is just the tip.

We caught them red handed -- they claimed 'cyber attack' but we have the uptime reports. We have the connectivity reports (their CDN is Akamai - you can view real time attack data for their network -- if the FCC site was down, a big chunk of the web would have been too). It would have made big news in the IT/networking world if Akamai hiccup'd... since they were able to handle the world's largest DDoS last fall. That got noticed... by, erm, everyone. Network Operations Centers all over the world saw it. Did anyone see the FCC DDoS? crickets

Edited by Use your brain
  • Like 2

Yeah but it's hardly the biggest conspiracy in the world. Basically they were flooded with visitors regarding net neutrality (which crippled their system) and out of embarrassment and refusal to acknowledge just how many people actually feel strongly about the subject, it looks like they fabricated an attack. It's an embarrassment for them more than anything :D (Not to say someone shouldn't be fired for it though).

Edited by ExpandMyMind

5 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Yeah but it's hardly the biggest conspiracy in the world. Basically they were flooded with visitors regarding net neutrality (which crippled their system) and out of embarrassment and refusal to acknowledge just how many people actually feel strongly about the subject, it looks like they fabricated an attack. It's an embarrassment for them more than anything :D (Not to say someone shouldn't be fired for it though).

Try actually reading it.

There's evidence that the bot is being run on an API -- in other words someone inside the FCC specifically gave access. They have to issue special keys (just like with Reddit!) -- and they're rate limited. They would know who's doing it instantly, because that API isn't available for just anyone: You have to ask for it -- click on the link, it'll show you the form; It asks for name and e-mail. Someone from the FCC said as much -- it was API accesses, not public-facing. If there was a connectivity issue it wasn't external, it was internal, preventable, and that's why they won't give out the server logs. Because they knew who was doing it, could have stopped it, didn't, and are letting it continue to happen as we speak. They know exactly which comments are being submitted by bots, and who owns them. Purely for my own amusement, I went looking for the Terms of Service for accessing the API. Click. Click. Aaaand here we are: "FCC computer systems employ software to monitor network traffic to identify unauthorized attempts..." :snip: "If such monitoring reveals evidence of possible abuse or criminal activity" :snip: cough Fraud cough"Unauthorized attempts to upload or change information on this server are strictly prohibited". Not going to do anything, FCC? Says what they did is "strictly prohibited"... soooooooo.... crickets

Edited by Use your brain
Added info
  • Like 1

I caught the story earlier. How about you surmise if you think I've missed something.

7 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

I caught the story earlier. How about you surmise if you think I've missed something.

At work, short version: the "users" were bots, the overflow came from an internal source and they would know who did it. They lied, there was no DDoS as most of the internet would have been knocked offline and every cyber security firm would have known about it.

The post is already pretty summarized. Just read it. The news won't touch this unless enough people hassle them to do so.

This is big. Just read it. This is how they get away with everything, even with the knowledge right in front of them most people won't take the time to look at it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Use your brain said:

At work, short version: the "users" were bots, the overflow came from an internal source and they would know who did it. They lied, there was no DDoS as most of the internet would have been knocked offline and every cyber security firm would have known about it.

The post is already pretty summarized. Just read it. The news won't touch this unless enough people hassle them to do so.

This is big. Just read it. This is how they get away with everything, even with the knowledge right in front of them most people won't take the time to look at it.

The news isn't ignoring it. At all.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/07/fcc-has-no-documentation-of-ddos-attack-that-hit-net-neutrality-comments/

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/07/senator-blasts-fcc-for-refusing-to-provide-ddos-analysis/

It's being reported all over the place.

But okay, my bad, I only read the headline and a few Reddit comments earlier. It seems they brought the site down themselves to stop people from commenting on the subject and also chose to display comments that agreed with their plans instead of all comments.

Also, regarding that Reddit comment (from the first link I provided above):

That Reddit comment has been getting some traction but I didn't include that in the story because the claims aren't well-supported. The idea that any DDoS would have also affected other parts of the Web seems to be a misunderstanding of what happened. See our analysis from May (https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... nt-system/) in which Cloudflare describes it as an Application Layer attack, which is a type of DDoS (though not the type most people are familiar with). This type of attack hits a specific application (the FCC comment system, in this case).

As for the claim about "issu[ing] special keys," anyone can register for a free key. Pro- and anti-net neutrality groups both use the same system for submitting comments in bulk to the FCC. The FCC made the system incredibly open so anyone can comment (they don't even do CAPTCHA or NoCAPTCHA), which explains why it was so easy for any entity to flood the FCC with comments. (Whether the FCC made a good decision here is a different question.)

The question of whether what happened to the FCC comment system in May should be labeled a DDoS is a legitimate one, but based on what security experts and the FCC told us, it was either poorly written spam bots or an application layer DDoS attack.

Also, this should be in the American news section, since it's not a conspiracy theory. This actually happened.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

The news isn't ignoring it. At all.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/07/fcc-has-no-documentation-of-ddos-attack-that-hit-net-neutrality-comments/

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/07/senator-blasts-fcc-for-refusing-to-provide-ddos-analysis/

It's being reported all over the place.

But okay, my bad, I only read the headline and a few Reddit comments earlier. It seems they brought the site down themselves to stop people from commenting on the subject and also chose to display comments that agreed with their plans instead of all comments.

Also, regarding that Reddit comment (from the first link I provided above):

Also, this should be in the American news section, since it's not a conspiracy theory. This actually happened.

Yea I meant mainstream news that most voters would watch, but any traction is good. 

Also yea the part you quoted is the big debate, but it's really looking like it came from the inside.

I just posted it here until there is 100% proof and until they admit what happened. I like to see logical things on the conspiracy board sometimes :rofl:

Edited by Use your brain
  • Like 3

https://www.google.com/amp/gizmodo.com/the-fcc-is-full-of-****-1797124634/amp

Short catch up: FCC claims they were victims of a DDoS cyber attack while receiving negative comments about Net Neutrality. 

We want the the server logs and any other information about this, we would also like to know how most of the pro Net Neutrality comments are coming from people who say they were victims of identity theft... Or dead people.

I made a topic about this on the Conspiracy board that shows a great post explaining why we need these things, because it looks like they are lying. 

This is big time, we need to shed all the light on this that we possibly can. The new "transparent" FCC is bold face lying to us, and it's going to cost us all a lot of money and problems.

Edited by Use your brain
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Use your brain said:

because it looks like they are lying.

It looks like they are lying because they are lying.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

It looks like they are lying because they are lying.

Yea, now I need you to go on CNN/Fox News and explain that to the brain dead people. Or get them to do it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Use your brain said:

Yea, now I need you to go on CNN/Fox News and explain that to the brain dead people. Or get them to do it.

Good luck with that. I don't think either of those two "networks" have dealt in facts in many many years.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2017 at 2:58 PM, Use your brain said:

Inside jobs and coverups, it's all here. I encourage everyone to read the entire link and the sources. Fact check, use reasoning, come to your personal conclusion. The part I quote is just the tip.

Thanks for sharing this story, its the only source ive seen on it. What in your opinion is/was the goal of this chicanery? Were they just trying to keep from receiving and consequently having  to admit to the public outrage over net neutrality or is there something else going on? 

• Like 2

Why do we even have an FCC?  How would it be any different if the cable companies did everything they wanted and had no regard for the public.  The FCC reached max possible corruption and conflict of interest years ago.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2017 at 5:10 AM, Farmer77 said:

Thanks for sharing this story, its the only source ive seen on it. What in your opinion is/was the goal of this chicanery? Were they just trying to keep from receiving and consequently having  to admit to the public outrage over net neutrality or is there something else going on? 

They want net neutrality to be revoked in return for the money lining their pockets, they have now shown just how important that is to them.

They are willing, not only to lie, but to make false claims to keep a large percentage of the voters out of the loop of why this is bad and why  people who actually use the internet don't like this.

If this happens, expect a "YouTube/Gaming" (ect) package to show up from the mainstream ISPs.

At the time the "cyber attack (DDoS)" happened there were an influx of negative comments being posted, since John Oliver did a bit on it.

E/ you should know that the servers they use survived the largest DDoS (cyber attack) ever seen back in 2016. Before the servers ever publicly stated it happened, every tech company in the world knew about it from the traffic logs. 

That is why we want their server logs, because no one heard about it, and that is VERY strange. That's also why they won't release them, because it didn't happen, we would have known.

Edited by Use your brain
  • Like 1