Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Your eardrums move in sync with your eyes

Claire.

Your eardrums move in sync with your eyes but we don’t know why

See, hear. Our eardrums appear to move to shift our hearing in the same direction as our eyes are looking. Why this happens is unclear, but it may help us work out which objects we see are responsible for the sounds we can hear.

Read more: New Scientist

• Like 2

I can see that as possible ;) I hear a noise and I look. Wow wish I could make money doing these studies. 

• Like 1

I've suspected this for a while. I live in a remote rural area where I have to be aware of my surroundings, especially after sunset. I've noticed that my hearing gets 'channeled' in the same direction as my eyesight when I turn toward a suspicious sound in the dark.

Just tonight when I walked out to the mailbox, there were three raccoons and a deer in the yard. I don't worry about them, but I do worry about the animals that prey on them (cougars and coyotes).

• Like 1

When reversing my Big Rig I need to be able to focus on my mirrors.  I found out quick enough that turning off the radio immediately fine tunes my concentration, now I know why...the eyes want to look where the ears are pointing. Makes perfect sense. Interesting study. 

Thanks Claire. :st

• Like 1