Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UK to bring in drone registration

Still Waters

The UK government has announced plans to introduce drone registration and safety awareness courses for owners of the small unmanned aircraft.

It will affect anyone who owns a drone which weighs more than 250 grams (8oz).

Drone maker DJI said it was in favour of the measures.

There is no time frame or firm plans as to how the new rules will be enforced and the Department of Transport admitted that "the nuts and bolts still have to be ironed out".

The drone safety awareness test will involve potential flyers having to "prove that they understand UK safety, security and privacy regulations", it said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40684581

I'm glad DJI is on board. They have some very impressive and powerful consumer drones which can very easily be used irresponsibly.

There are more and more incidents reported by aircraft about near misses with drones near aerodromes, IMO it's a matter of time before there's a serious accident. 

I can't get that link to work. :(

However..... I can't imagine registration making the slightest bit of difference!

If a drone is being flown inappropriately, we still won't know who's operating it.

How would it be enforced, at the point of sale I guess. Then what a police drone pulls/fly's up and gives it a ticket. 

6 hours ago, acute said:

If a drone is being flown inappropriately, we still won't know who's operating it.

1 hour ago, The Silver Thong said:

How would it be enforced, at the point of sale I guess. Then what a police drone pulls/fly's up and gives it a ticket. 

It's pretty simple actually. There are already a number of ways to disable drones, e.g. electronic anti-drone guns, then just collect it and fine the registered owner. 

Depending on the type of drone (when anti-drone guns are used at least), some will land in a controlled manner while others will fall from the sky. 

China used one kind earlier this year to take down drones in restricted airspace overhead a marathon: https://www.thedigitalcircuit.com/police-in-china-use-anti-drone-guns-during-wuhan-marathon-run/

Potential issues are effective range of the weapons, mentioned being a couple of kilometres, however aerodromes or security-sensitive areas could have their own teams to quickly take down drones once they've been spotted.

29 minutes ago, Timonthy said:

It's pretty simple actually. There are already a number of ways to disable drones, e.g. electronic anti-drone guns, then just collect it and fine the registered owner. 

Depending on the type of drone (when anti-drone guns are used at least), some will land in a controlled manner while others will fall from the sky. 

China used one kind earlier this year to take down drones in restricted airspace overhead a marathon: https://www.thedigitalcircuit.com/police-in-china-use-anti-drone-guns-during-wuhan-marathon-run/

Potential issues are effective range of the weapons, mentioned being a couple of kilometres, however aerodromes or security-sensitive areas could have their own teams to quickly take down drones once they've been spotted.

Ya I have to agree with ya on that. I'm not really up on my drones. I have never seen one in person or heard one. I do like watching the drone races though kinda feels like your in an X-Wing fighter. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Silver Thong said:

Ya I have to agree with ya on that. I'm not really up on my drones. I have never seen one in person or heard one. I do like watching the drone races though kinda feels like your in an X-Wing fighter. 

Yeah those FPV drone races are amazing!

The first I saw was the 2016 World Drone Prix in Dubai. Some kid won $250K!

As for the technology, drones range from the cheap <$100 tiny novelty drones with ranges from a few metres to a few hundred metres, then anything up to a few thousand for consumer drones with multi-kilometre range with mounted GoPro or 4K video, and then on to professional drone platforms worth many thousands of dollars capable of carrying substantial payloads. 

A very popular consumer drone is the DJI Mavic Pro (range up to 7km and costs between $1000-$2000AU) http://www.dji.com/mobile/mavic

I'd imagine it's these type of high-performance consumer drones which they are worried about, and for good reason! 2 days ago: http://www.flyingmag.com/dji-mavic-pro-flies-within-300-feet-airplanes-on-approach

Even a small drone has the potential to cause a major aircraft accident. 

So registration and very large fines as deterrents are really a good start.

Ya stay away from airports that's almost a give in. What amazes me little off topic is the last couple of years where I live people have pointed laser lights at helicopters and planes.  All the people or most were caught how the hell did they find them. 

On a another drone thing  ya these things can be pretty dangerous  holy crap the video is from 2012

On ‎22‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 6:55 PM, Timonthy said:

How will the relevant authorities find the owner?

For example, a drone being used to drop drugs into a prison will have all physical ID removed, and any electronic ID hacked / bypassed.

Also... Criminals won't register their drones anyway!

Because they will be registered by the general public. Maybe at point of sale, who knows. And it wouldn't be legal to not have one registered, which is the point, so normal people will register them because that's what normal people do, follow the law.

And of course criminals wouldn't, same with their cars or weapons. Pretty silly argument.

It's more because they are relatively new and there are lots of safety issues/people using them irresponsibly, so they need to be policed to make sure the general public are following the rules and able to be punished. That's what laws are for.

Edited by Timonthy
Typo.

I'd say it's inevitable that drones will be heavily regulated at some point, as with any other type of "vehicle" throughout history.

Safety concerns, criminal potential, along with privacy issues can only lead one place. As they become more advanced, it'll only become more of an issue.

As Timonthy says, they're still relatively new, governments are still catching up with the technology.