Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Barber covers shop floor with 70,000 1p coins

Still Waters

A barber came up with a clever way to cut costs by laying the floor of his new shop with 70,000 1p pieces.

Rich Holtham, owner of BS4 Barbers in Dudley, West Midlands, came up with the idea after he was given an estimate of £1,000 to arrange the flooring.

Instead, the 28-year-old and his staff decided to cover the 10ft by 15ft shop with thousands of pennies.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4718304/West-Midlands-barber-covers-floor-70-000-1p-pieces.html

• Like 2

I love it when people do this well, it looks so neat.

But I have to wonder how much he really saved at the end of the day from the 1000 estimate. It was 700 for the pennies. Plus whatever for materials to prep the floor and glue down the pennies. And then however much paying someone to grout the floor in.

• Like 1

As rashore has pointed out, I am not sure he would have saved anything, obviously labour costs were not included. But I do not think this was a way to save money, it was just different, and I quite like it. A lot of dedication went into that.

i thought it illegal to destroy state currency. 

10 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

Maybe the State will give him a medal fro taking that much cash out of circulation.

It is one way to boost the value of what remains, and I guess they could use all the help they can get in that regard, right?  B)

• Like 1

Great publicity too. Pretty cool!

On 2017-7-23 at 0:48 AM, Captain Risky said:

At the Museum of Science and Industry in Manchester there are some machines where you insert a penny and a £1 coin (the charge) and select a design you want: such as Stephenson's Rocket locomotive or a cotton-spinning machine etc. Once you've selected your design you turn a big wheel with your hands and keep turning and keep turning until out pops what was once your penny, now oval-shaped and with your chosen British Industrial Revolution-related design on it. It makes a nice souvenir.

• Like 1