Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Trials of Trump

RoofGardener

A thought occured to me thismorning, as I was pruning my tomato plant. 

Many people on this forum are highly critical of President Trump, which is fair enough. 

However... since becoming President, has he done anything that he did NOT state that he would do during his presidential campaign ? 

Did it occur to you that doing what he said he'd do is a good enough reason for criticism from the left?

Regardless, there are plenty of reasons Republicans should be critical of him. Why they're not is confusing to me.

1. He told you he’d repeal Obamacare and replace it with something “beautiful.” You bought it. But he didn’t repeal and he didn’t replace. (Just as well: His plan would have knocked at least 22 million off health insurance, including many of you.)

2. He told you he’d cut your taxes. You bought it. But tax “reform” is stalled. And if it ever moves, the only ones whose taxes will be cut are the wealthy.

3. He told you he’d invest $1 billion in our nation’ crumbling infrastructure. You bought it. But his infrastructure plan, which was really a giveaway to rich investors, is also stalled.

4. He said he’d clean the Washington swamp. You bought it. But he’s brought into his administration more billionaires, CEOs, and Wall Street moguls than in any administration in history, to make laws that will enrich their businesses, along with former lobbyists, lawyers and consultants who are crafting new policies for the same industries they recently worked for.

5. He said he’d use his business experience to whip the White House into shape. You bought it. But he created the most chaotic, dysfunctional, back-stabbing White House in modern history, in which no one is in charge.

6. He said he’d close “special interest loopholes that have been so good for Wall Street investors but unfair to American workers.“ You bought it. But he picked a Wall Street financier Stephen Schwarzman to run his strategic and policy forum, who compares closing those loopholes to Hitler’s invasion of Poland.

7. He told you he’d “bring down drug prices” by making deals with drug companies. You bought it. But now the White House says that promise is “inoperative.”

8. He said that on Day One he’d label China a “currency manipulator.” You bought it. But then he met with China’s president and declared “China is not a currency manipulator.”

9. He said he wouldn’t bomb Syria. You bought it. But then he bombed Syria.

10. He called Barack Obama “the vacationer-in-Chief” and accused him of playing more rounds of golf than Tiger Woods. He promised to never be the kind of president who took cushy vacations on the taxpayer’s dime, not when there was so much important work to be done. You bought it. But in his first 6 months he has spent more taxpayer money on vacations than Obama did in the first 3 years of his presidency. Not to mention all the money taxpayers are spending protecting his family, including his two sons who travel all over the world on Trump business.

11. He said he’d force companies to keep jobs in America. You believed him. But despite their promises, Carrier, Ford, GM, and the rest are shipping jobs to Mexico and China.

12. He said he’d create coal jobs. You believe him. He hasn’t. But here’s what he has done: Since 1965 a federal program called the Appalachian Regional Commission has spent $23 billion helping communities in coal states fund job retraining, reclaim land, and provide desperately needed social services. A.R.C. helped cut poverty rates almost in half, double the percentage of high-school graduates, and reduce infant mortality by two-thirds. Trump’s first proposed budget eliminates A.R.C.

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/07/show-this-devastating-list-to-trump-supporters-who-think-their-candidate-is-sticking-to-his-promises/

Huffington Post had a similar list but I can't seem to find it.

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 8

49 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Many people on this forum are highly critical of President Trump, which is fair enough. 

However... since becoming President, has he done anything that he did NOT state that he would do during his presidential campaign ? 

Dislike him for his corrupt behavior, nepotism, poor character, and childish twitter tantrums.   

He hasn't really come through on most of what he stated during his campaign, for me to like or dislike. But what little he has done, he has done in a manner that is embarrassing.  The joke of a Muslim ban for instance.  The whole Obamacare reform.  The pursuing of the Clinton case.  I would say that he should just stick  to golfing, but it seems he has been doing that and it isn't working for him either.

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Not to my knowledge.  People will speak for themselves but if you listen carefully, you will hear echoes of what the MSM has been peddling for months.  Most of which is extremely biased and in many cases, outright lies that they refuse to retract.  So the real reason isn't personal for the average person.  They've been assailed with extreme negative views of him 24/7 for a year or more.  They are entitled to their opinion and they can vote him out in 3 years if they mobilize enough like minded voters.

The real source of all the hate is the media and the Democrat leadership, in that order.  My belief is that the DC crowd are an inbred club of elites and they are FURIOUS that this interloper has managed to upset their plans.  They view him and his voters as uneducated, boorish rabble and they intend to kick him out and teach them a lesson about who REALLY controls this nation.  If they succeed in this coup then I believe they will see a grass roots groundswell of fury like they could never imagine.  One thing seems apparent at this point.  They will NEVER stop the attacks until he has been removed.  They will take every leak from the Special Counsel and indict him and his team in the court of public opinion without any proof being offered and ultimately, I believe that any indictments against his team will be for peripheral matters that they have tried to "connect the dots" with and "assume" collusion or conspiracy with Russia.  By that standard, any person who has gone to Russia or done business with Russians (HRC?) is suspect of criminal activity or being unpatriotic.  REALLY?

eta:  Those who point out his failure to move legislation should be reminded that the president has only the power to approve or disapprove what the Congress sends to him.  Both D's and R's hate the guy and will do everything in their power short of risking their own seats to ensure that he does NOT succeed.  If an outsider came into that cesspool and began cleaning it out and making it work for the people they would be DONE.  Party over.  That cannot happen.  IMO he should stop relying on Twitter as much and he should get out into the country, especially in the Red States that elected him and make clear the obstructionism of the Republicans they voted for.  He really has no other power to make things happen at this point.  He should preempt this witch hunt by Mueller and pardon every individual that is targeted by these political hacks.  What will the media do?  Scream and have a solemn meltdown?  An Den?  An What?  His supporters would be even MORE impressed with him.

Edited by and then
  • Like 3

http://insider.foxnews.com/2016/11/14/report-soros-big-liberal-donors-meeting-dems-stopping-trump

The meeting is the first major gathering of the institutional left since Trump’s shocking victory over Hillary Clinton in last week’s presidential election, and, if the agenda is any indication, liberals plan full-on trench warfare against Trump from Day One. Some sessions deal with gearing up for 2017 and 2018 elections, while others focus on thwarting President-elect Trump’s 100-day plan, which the agenda calls “a terrifying assault on President Obama’s achievements — and our progressive vision for an equitable and just nation.”

Like I said in another thread. Soros is out of power, and he doesn't like it a bit.

• Like 1

I have it admit that I find it amusing how Trump supporters are telling Trump opponents why it is they dislike him.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

http://insider.foxnews.com/2016/11/14/report-soros-big-liberal-donors-meeting-dems-stopping-trump

The meeting is the first major gathering of the institutional left since Trump’s shocking victory over Hillary Clinton in last week’s presidential election, and, if the agenda is any indication, liberals plan full-on trench warfare against Trump from Day One. Some sessions deal with gearing up for 2017 and 2018 elections, while others focus on thwarting President-elect Trump’s 100-day plan, which the agenda calls “a terrifying assault on President Obama’s achievements — and our progressive vision for an equitable and just nation.”

Like I said in another thread. Soros is out of power, and he doesn't like it a bit.

I believe this country is irretrievably split and we are headed toward chaos, possibly in the form of violence.  One group of Americans want to maintain our Constitution and our traditional values and the other wants the freedom to make it up as they go along.  That second path has ALWAYS led to tyranny.  The foolish and the lazy are not the types to lead the way into a bright future.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Gromdor said:

I have it admit that I find it amusing how Trump supporters are telling Trump opponents why it is they dislike him.  

Glad to give you a smile, Grom ;) 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Did it occur to you that doing what he said he'd do is a good enough reason for criticism from the left?

Regardless, there are plenty of reasons Republicans should be critical of him. Why they're not is confusing to me.

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/07/show-this-devastating-list-to-trump-supporters-who-think-their-candidate-is-sticking-to-his-promises/

Huffington Post had a similar list but I can't seem to find it.

Well, indeed ExpandMyMind. You can criticise him for his intentions, and you can criticise him for failing to accomplish things that he SAID he would do. (although the race is not yet run). However, has he done anything that he did not say - in advance - that he would try and do ? 

Not that I'm particularly fussed.. I'm just curious. :) 

I think you'll find that he never said he would not bomb Syria ? Not so sure about the golf thing... though I DO recall him saying - at an early stage - that he didn't see the need for the President to be in the White House every day. 

• Like 1

Stuff he did that he didn't say he was going to do first?  

Like doing government business on personal property-like Mar de lago?

Legislation-wise, he really hasn't accomplished that much promise-wise.  Let alone stuff that he hasn't mentioned before.  

• Like 3

Trump is his own Nemesis, with a mouth that lives a life of it's and which he is constantly putting his foot in. His social media addiction is appalling--especially for a man his age--with his constant, incoherent tweeting, like a p***ed off teenage girl citing a litany of wrongs from current and former boyfriends. He wanted the Presidency but seems to have little desire to be a President, bewildered that life can't go on as it did before. He's much like a teenager boy with his first fulltime job, frustrated he can't play, anymore. I won't even get into his personality--he doesn't have one. His good fortune is the Democrats picked the only candidate he had a snowball's chance in hell of beating.

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, and then said:

My belief is that the DC crowd are an inbred club of elites and they are FURIOUS that this interloper has managed to upset their plans.

I can sure agree with you on this point.  Almost all of the ideas generated there either conservative or liberal are targeted to benefit an elite few and keep the rest of us distracted.

8 hours ago, and then said:

One group of Americans want to maintain our Constitution and our traditional values and the other wants the freedom to make it up as they go along.  That second path has ALWAYS led to tyranny.  The foolish and the lazy are not the types to lead the way into a bright future.

There are many days when I think President Trump fits that mold.  He wants to be the unquestioned CEO of a family organization.  That is not what the presidency is.  He was supposed to be the great deal maker.  He hasn't made many deals.  He said more than once about many things, "Only I can fix it."  He has not fixed anything.  He doesn't seem to respect the Constitution, he places loyalty to himself as the top value for his team.  That is not loyalty to America or the Constitution.  Maybe I carry a grudge because for a few weeks, I thought he would be something different and outside the system and a smart enough businessman to change things.  I wanted an alternative to Hillary, but this is its own crazy.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gromdor said:

That's because they were never Trump supporters--they were/are Hillary haters. Most wished for another alternative, even Sanders. Trump was the only port in a storm.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Just off the top of my head

Attacking Syria

Pulling out of Nafta

repealing and replacing obamacare 

prosecuting hillary 

Then you have the things he said or implied he wouldnt do like playing golf and using executive orders. 

Edited by Farmer77

2 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

Just off the top of my head

Attacking Syria

Pulling out of Nafta

repealing and replacing obamacare 

prosecuting hillary 

Then you have the things he said or implied he wouldnt do like playing golf and using executive orders. 

Thanks for that Farmer77. I was more intrigued by any substantive things he has done that he never mentioned in his campaign, rather than things he said he wanted to do and hasn't succeeded in. (though I don't know about NAFTA ?? ). 

I don't think he ever said that he wouldn't attack Syria ? 

I could cite the Paris climate change agreement perhaps ? He said he was going to pull out, but now seems to be vacilating ? 

Edited by RoofGardener
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

I don't think he ever said that he wouldn't attack Syria ? 

IDK that he ever explicitly said he wouldnt but he beaty the hell out of Obama for doing so. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Uncle Sam said:

What is funny though, since Trump has been elected President, there been a massive jump in gains for United States.

Wall Street Investors 3 trillion dollars gain, Trump presidential victory.

Yes when corporations believe they are granted the right to run amok however they please the stock market will go up. Not so sure thats a good thing in the long run however. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Uncle Sam said:

What is funny though, since Trump has been elected President, there been a massive jump in gains for United States.

The WS5000 is increasing since 2009, so whats your point here? Are you in the opinion that the increase during the last 6 month is a result of the election of #45?

But anyway, I`m awaiting some more headlines like: "Mosquito population in Mar-a-Lagro has been decreased by 38,7% since January 2017" or "Executiv order #78 (Ban on illegal immigration of alligators into Florida) will come into effect on 01AUG2017."

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Uncle Sam said:

Wall Street Investors 3 trillion dollars gain, Trump presidential victory.

I wouldn't call that a gain for the United States, necessarily.  Wall Street investors are global in nature as are most of the companies in it.

For instance,  my Brazilian in laws have made money in it.  They fit the "Wall Street Investors" title without being American.  

So it can be said that Trump made rich people from all over the world 3 trillion dollars perhaps.  I could be wrong, though.  Have you or any of your friends made money on the stock market since Trump?

Edited by Gromdor
  • Like 2

From an economic perspective, I have no interest in how wall street investors are doing. I am interested in the oridinary man / woman in the street. - Has he / she more or less disposable income? Is the cost of living up or down? Has housing become more or less affordable? Is  healtchcare more or less expensive, school costs etc. 

I am not arguing what way they have changed I don't live there.  All I am saying is that for the majority, the impact on investors is relatively meaningless and only has relevance in so far as to how it impacts on the factors I have listed above. 

Edited by RAyMO
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

That's because they were never Trump supporters--they were/are Hillary haters. Most wished for another alternative, even Sanders. Trump was the only port in a storm.

I keep saying that too. Hillary is why Trump won.

• Like 4

Capitalism is a foul-tempered beast put under yoke and harness lest it tramples you. You tighten or loosen the reins as economic circumstances dictate.  

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Uncle Sam said:

That is wonderful !  The elite must have shaken off their doubts about his instability and really love him now.   Under his administration they have found even more ways to siphon wealth from the middle class.  Are you in the top 5%  of the income brackets?   Do you already have your compound in Barbados or New Zealand ready to avoid the chaos after you have sucked America dry?  If you are, you are correct to celebrate. 

• Like 4

On 7/22/2017 at 9:10 AM, RoofGardener said:

Has he drained the swamp as people chanted for him to do or has he filled it up with Scaramouche? 

• Like 1