Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Super Carrier Ford's Electromagnetic Catapult

and-then

I was just watching the commissioning of the newest class of Super Carrier, the Gerald R. Ford and saw a demonstration of testing for the new electromagnetic catapult system.  It's the first I'd heard of it.  Impressive!  Testing on launching an actual aircraft will occur next week.  So far they've only slung an 80,000 LB sled off the deck.  Let's hear the list of shortcomings you guys think we will find with this system.

• Like 2

Do they have an alternate backup system?

8 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Do they have an alternate backup system?

I haven't read up on it fully but I can't imagine that they didn't figure redundancy into the plan.   It probably has a dedicated generator system for its power but battle damage happens.

I found this:  but it doesn't mention backup systems.

http://www.airspacemag.com/military-aviation/how-things-work-electromagnetic-catapults-14474260/?page=2

Edited by and then

2 minutes ago, and then said:

I haven't read up on it fully but I can't imagine that they didn't figure redundancy into the plan.   It probably has a dedicated generator system for its power but battle damage happens.

Possibly even a redundant conventional system also. I'd think that would still be the case until this technology is field proven. 

• Like 1

How many g's does thing pull 

11 hours ago, and then said:

I was just watching the commissioning of the newest class of Super Carrier, the Gerald R. Ford and saw a demonstration of testing for the new electromagnetic catapult system.  It's the first I'd heard of it.  Impressive!  Testing on launching an actual aircraft will occur next week.  So far they've only slung an 80,000 LB sled off the deck.  Let's hear the list of shortcomings you guys think we will find with this system.

How much does a fighter jet weigh?

12 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

How much does a fighter jet weigh?

I'm not sure but they mentioned in the TV interview that this system will enable them to launch heavier aircraft in the future than a steam system is capable of launching.

3 hours ago, The Silver Thong said:

How many g's does thing pull 

It mentioned 14.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, and then said:

I'm not sure but they mentioned in the TV interview that this system will enable them to launch heavier aircraft in the future than a steam system is capable of launching.

It mentioned 14.

14 g holy crap are these going to be un maned  thats more than the space shuttle. 

7 minutes ago, The Silver Thong said:

14 g holy crap are these going to be un maned  thats more than the space shuttle. 

Yeah, that did seem unreal.  I double checked and found this -https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/25084/what-is-the-force-exerted-by-the-catapult-on-aircraft-carriers

It's 4 G , sorry about the memory ;) 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, and then said:

Yeah, that did seem unreal.  I double checked and found this -https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/25084/what-is-the-force-exerted-by-the-catapult-on-aircraft-carriers

It's 4 G , sorry about the memory ;) 

I was thinking wow at 14 g your face would be on backwards lol 

• Like 1