Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Astral Projection

OlderSoul

So basically I have been attempting astral travel for a couple of days now...about 4...and I have had no results. While I want to ask a few questions about this I also want to give a little more information about myself to give anyone who might be willing to provide some info an idea of the type of person they are talking to. 

I'm 34 years old (male). Back in 2012, due to the proposed end of the world supposedly represented by the Mayan longcount clock or whatever it was called, my spiritual beliefs began to shape themselves anew. At first I was convinced that perhaps the world was ending. After diving deeper into the subject, I became convinced it was simply a calendar representing a very large cycle that the galaxy went through. However, my studying this phenomenon changed my belief system completely. The fact that this ancient, supposedly primal culture could see and predict cycles of the stars and planets the way that they did made me realize that something more than just be a good person and go to heaven when you die or be a bad person and go to Hell when you die was going on with reality. Slowly. PAINFULLY slowly, I went through books and websites, devouring all the information I could obtain. This is NOT a thread knocking anyone's religion or beliefs. I believe at this point that most, if not all religions and beliefs are valid to a degree. 

Questions about my own faith arose very quickly when I began to actually take the time to ponder upon it. I.e. why would an all knowing, all seeing, all loving being such as God, our father, sentence ANYONE to an eternity of damnation and unimaginable suffering? If God was all knowing then certainly he would know before he even created you whether or not you would be damned for eternity when you died. That having been said, if he was all loving then how could he POSSIBLY subject ANYONE or thing to such torture? I am not all loving. I'll admit that. While I strive to become so I would be lying to you all and myself if I pretended I was. Although I have never been a bad person as far as people go, I used to be not quite as quote unquote good as I am now. Even at my worst though, I couldn't possibly fathom myself subjecting anyone to an eternity of suffering. I mean don't you underdstand how harsh FOREVER is? If a man killed everyone and everything I loved, burned down my house, destroyed everything I hold dear, tortured me to within an inch of my life, and finally set me on fire and killed me, I STILL could not subject that man to ETERNAL torture if I had the power to do so. As I said I'm not all loving so given that kind of power that man would surely be forced to undergo the same pain he inflicted upon me and more, but even after all that I could not sentence him to ETERNAL suffering. Now if I could not do that to that man that caused me so much suffering and anguish, how could my all loving God do that to someone just because perhaps they were a phenomenally exceptional good person with the wrong beliefs? After all if you've ever taken the time to notice, you cannot just CHOOSE what you believe and don't believe. If I tell you the sky is red then your brain is going to do millions of mathematical equations within moments and come up with an appropriate response. Either your going to call me looney based on personal experience or your going to accept that what I tell you is true simply because you believe that I know something that you do not. Whatever the case, you wouldn't really have a say in whether or not you believed me. You could not believe me and swear to your dying day that you do, but that would still not be the same as actually believing me. So if God knew before I was created that I was doomed to be damned...why create me at all? Given the choice I'd certainly choose to never have been created than to be born into a world that is mostly suffering, live perhaps a hundred years at best in said world, and then be subjected to eternal agonizing suffering afterward. And all for what? Because even though I did my best to live my life as I thought was right, I failed to have the correct beliefs? Point and case. Knowing the things that I know now, I CANNOT believe in my old religion. I DO continue to search for the truth to the best of my ability and hopefully I'll find it one day. But I simply cannot believe I'll burn for eternity because I cannot believe something. That is all on that. I got a little more into that than I intended to. My apologies.

According to the works of Casteneda, I am what is known as a strong dreamer. Si ce the age of 4 I have had lucid dreams. Not every night. Not even 1 a year. But in 30 years I've lucid dreamed perhaps 12 times. I have never tried. It just happens randomly with no discernible pattern. I am aware that the majority of people live their entire lives never going lucid in a dream even once. So to most people the idea of lucid dreaming is just as far fetched as Astral Projection used to be to me. When I found out that the two go hand in hand my beliefs shifted to include OBEs within the realm of possibilities. I now believe if going lucid comes naturally to me, then certainly Astral Projection should come easier for me than most people. This is being shown to not be the case. I think that perhaps this is due largely because alot of the information on how to achieve this feat is conflicting at best. For example, one thing I read says not to try at night before I go to bed or when tired because I will just fall asleep. Another thing I read says to try at night because my body will be relaxed and tired and it will be easier. Yet another says do it a few hours before I would normally wake up because my body will be in a relaxed state and be able to slip back into a sleep state fairly quickly. Some things say you cannot eat certain foods before going to try. 

I smoke ciggs. I'm trying to quit but it is very difficult for me and I have not succeeded yet. I drank heavily for years. I was dependent upon alcohol for the last 3 1/2 years I drank while I was homeless. I have not had a drink in over 14 months. I did however, develop an opiate addiction due to the energy pain pills give me. I used them primarily for energy to excercise and make it through my two job 17 hour work days. I quit my second job and went down to one as I realized I'd be making more money with one job and not buying pills. That is not my primary reason for quitting. I'm quitting for spiritual reasons as well as my health. Same reasons I'll quit ciggs after I quit this opiate addiction. I'm having acceptable success quitting the pills. I went from 6-12 a day down to one a day. Then I didn't do ANY for the past two days and did one today. I now intend to be done completely. I'm telling you all of this because I'm not ashamed to be human and ere. I know I'm not perfect, but I'm trying damnit. Lol. 

My goal here is to have provided anyone who has direct experience in Astral Travel with a working knowledge of exactly what kind of individual I am so that all things can be considered before providing any kind of advice. I forgot to mention I smoke pot too. I haven't been as I figured perhaps being high could affect the outcome as well. I should also mention that there is a slight withdrawal that I go through from the pills. Nowhere near as bad as the alcohol was. I just experience an extreme lack of energy, hot and cold flashes, trouble falling asleep, and crawling in my skin (RIP Chester). That is all I can think of to include in this post. Any and all info on this matter would be much appreciated. I DO ask that anyone who does not have direct experience with OBEs not offer up advice as that would be no different than me reading up on it from people who may or may not have experienced it before. A seasoned and frequent, knowledgeable Astral Traveler is what I really need. Thankyou all for taking the time to read this extremely lengthy post. I promise future posts will not be this long.

57 minutes ago, OlderSoul said:

So basically I have been attempting astral travel for a couple of days now...about 4...and I have had no results.

We do not leave our bodies while asleep.

I am aware that the majority of people live their entire lives never going lucid in a dream even once.

lucid dreaming is not as uncommon as you may think, it does happen to a lot of people, but some believe it is something else, it is not, it is quite simply -  dreaming.

so most people the idea of lucid dreaming is just as far fetched as Astral Projection

Well this is so wrong, it is a fact that lucid dreams do happen, no way can it been seen as far fetched.  Where the confusion lies, is people believe they have astral projected when in fact they are  dreaming. 

here is an interesting article you may like to read,: 

https://www.livescience.com/27978-astral-projection.html

and a little quote with a big clue form the article:

"When you hear hoof beats, think horses, not unicorns" — or, in this case, "When you have a dreamlike experience while sleeping or resting, think dreaming, not astral projection.")

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, freetoroam said:

We do not leave our bodies while asleep.

How did you determine the astral body does not hover above the body as is typically described in astral projection literature.

Welcome older soul.     A native friend once told me there are olders and elders.  Everybody can become an older if you live long enough.  You have to work hard to become an elder.

Four days is not a long time to work on a goal you deem worthwhile.  Do you think astral travel is easier than playing the piano for example?.  Some people practice for years to achieve mastery at that task.  Do you think people are born to a talent and that it takes no work to develop it? How many years did Carlos chronicle in his book?  Nothing was overnight.  What was the goal of Don Juan, Don Genaro, and their acquaintances?  They would say the only important goal is to become a man of knowledge.  Everything else was a trick played to help lead to knowledge.  Tricks are fun, sometimes too distracting.  Being a man of knowledge is life changing or so I have been told.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

How did you determine the astral body does not hover above the body as is typically described in astral projection literature.

because of this:

5 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

typically described in astral projection literature.

compared with this:

Astral projection is an entertaining and harmless pastime that can seem profound, and in some cases even life-changing. But there's no evidence that out-of-body-experiences happen outside the body instead of inside the brain.

https://www.livescience.com/27978-astral-projection.html

please read the link papa, and I will read any link you give me which can prove it happens......believing it happened while asleep does not constitute to actually leaving ones body, but it does prove one was = sleeping at the time, now thats a fact.

I have lucid dreams and have done for many years, I have seen and done some wonderful things, I have have sleep paralysis and have woken many times thinking jeeze, that was too real, but i always  stay with reality and to stop myself going locco, remind myself that the really scary ones are JUST dreams. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

oh sorry, ps: were you been? I notice it was quiet for a while, nice to see you back.  :tu:

1 hour ago, freetoroam said:

because of this:

compared with this:

please read the link papa, and I will read any link you give me which can prove it happens......believing it happened while asleep does not constitute to actually leaving ones body, but it does prove one was = sleeping at the time, now thats a fact.

I have lucid dreams and have done for many years, I have seen and done some wonderful things, I have have sleep paralysis and have woken many times thinking jeeze, that was too real, but i always  stay with reality and to stop myself going locco, remind myself that the really scary ones are JUST dreams. 

Well, we can all find sources to support whatever we want.

My reasons for believing that astral projection is a real phenomenon comes from the teachings of the structure of the super-physical components of man as well as objective experiences of astral projectors knowing things that could not have been known through the 'it's all in the physical' view.

Theosophy, Vedic studies, and the experiences of clairvoyants all tell us that we have an astral body and that it hovers outside the body during sleep. Actually this separation is what sleep is. 

Many experienced astral projectors also tell of visiting places and even meeting other projectors. Remote viewing is also a statistically proven ability in my honest judgment. Keeping the evidence closer to home, posters here on this forum I have presented stories that could not be explained by the 'it's a;; in your head' view. I remember as just one example that struck me was a guy on here that new there was a police car down the street including its license plate number. He jumped out of bed drove down in his pajamas and confirmed the vehicle and the plate.

2 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

If you determine that the "astral body does hover above the body" because its described in "astral projection literature", then you might think Perry Rhodan is a real person.

4 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Welcome older soul.     A native friend once told me there are olders and elders.  Everybody can become an older if you live long enough.  You have to work hard to become an elder.

Four days is not a long time to work on a goal you deem worthwhile.  Do you think astral travel is easier than playing the piano for example?.  Some people practice for years to achieve mastery at that task.  Do you think people are born to a talent and that it takes no work to develop it? How many years did Carlos chronicle in his book?  Nothing was overnight.  What was the goal of Don Juan, Don Genaro, and their acquaintances?  They would say the only important goal is to become a man of knowledge.  Everything else was a trick played to help lead to knowledge.  Tricks are fun, sometimes too distracting.  Being a man of knowledge is life changing or so I have been told.

Thankyou very much for your feedback. I think I must be in the right place for someone else to have HEARD of Casteneda, let alone have read him.

All of the books as they were published.  I was living in south Texas near peyote country in the age of college psychedelic experimentation.  From experience I will tell you books are no substitute for a teacher. 

• Like 1

First, it is hard to tell the difference between controlled lucid dreaming and projection of consciousness. The only way to prove it is the latter is with objective testing, where you undertake a number of tests to show you can travel to real places.  Travelling to other dimensions etc, as in astral travel, is not provable.

There is bad news and good news on how to learn to project your consciousness, as a development of controlled lucid dreaming.

Good news. You don't need drugs.  

BAd news.  It can take considerable time and effort. (might take years to be able to project very far)

Good news.  Two techniques will help a lot to increase the number of dreams you remember, their  lucidity, and eventually total control of your dreams This is the first step to then taking control of your consciousness and using one of many methods to project it out from your body, across the world out into space and across the galaxy. Once you can control lucid dreaming you simply will your consciousness to travel  

First get a LOT of sleep, so that you are not sleeping too deeply, then work out a way to wake up while dreaming, but slowly, so that you retain memory of your dreams  You should aim to reach a state of consciousness where you are still dreaming but also "awake"  and aware  (mosl common as you wake up in the morning after a good night's sleep )

Second; record, talk about, and emphasise your dream life. Keep a journal, bore people with descriptions of your dreams, spend time awake, planning  dreams, thinking about them, and analysing them  

This will help your conscious mind attach to your subconscious so it can recognise and control your dreams

Itis quite possible to spend all night, every night, using controlled lucid dreaming for many purposes, from learning new skills, to exploring the word,  to role playing, and other forms of entertainment.  

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

The process of LEARNING to lucid dream is time consuming and frustrating. You will try and fail many times before you even attempt to control whats happening in your dream state. It is, as i said, a process. Intention, dedications and a good understanding of what you are doing and the issues that could arise from such activity are key to success.

Astral Projections is even more time consuming, frustrating and potentially dangerous. In my opinion, rookie Astral Projectors should be mentored by someone who has experience and can guide them to the higher frequency astral planes.  In the higher astral planes there is good and light, In the lower astral planes is negativity and darkness. That's why it is important that people don't learn how to Astral Project without knowing how to protect themselves. 

• Like 1

On ‎23‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 6:33 AM, Tatetopa said:

What he said .

I will add ;    first, or at least   start now , working on your self and health and decrease practices and habits that impact your health and increase healthy and holistic practices.

You might want to find out more about your 'energy body '   via TCM   ( Traditional Chinese Medicine )   , I suggest this , because as  well as  being an 'holistic' method it also has some scientific validity .   It helped me a lot.  Also there are physical exercises to help ,  things like Qigong .  I also had  to develop alternate pain management as I am allergic to pain killers ... they just make it worse  ( and I had surgery last year  ... that was 'fun'  ) .  That can help  a lot .

Now, in the tradition I studied in,  practices like  modern 'astral projection ' are called 'travelling in light body ' .  In this it is clearly a case of harnessing the imagination.  *

But I don't mean 'imagination' in its modern common sense .  

For example I 'imagine'  I am  standing in the middle of my room, when I am in bed at night and I will practice a  'form' ( a martial arts 'kata' - or series of movements in a pattern ) in my 'body of light' - (or  'externalised imagination ' )   .  It helps me learn and understand it very quickly.  I am known in my club to be able to pick up many complex forms quickly, perform them and retain them .  Not only that, when practicing in my  'dream body' (there is another term )   I can also visual  each part, imagine an imaginary opponent and practice the techniques with them , 'inventing' my own 'bunkai' (  the application of the moves, with another ) ,  too the extent that my instructor  accused me of moon lighting and training on the side with another teacher, as he wants to know how I know this stuff. I usually just say  ' it  just makes sense '  or   '  I figured it out ' .  Yes, at times I am tempted to tell him  " I learnt it  'on the astral'  . "  :D 

The thing is ; this is the purpose I used such practices for in the first place, to develop my potentials , not looking for 'magical powers'  or 'siddhis' - which are actually a distraction and  have been behind many a down fall or venture into wack-a-doodle land .   Also I can test my results so I know it isn't fantasy , I can go to training, under the eye of instructor and try my results out   with others.   Its important to stay 'grounded' with such practices. *

So, because I seek real results and use such practices to develop my fuller potentials, I don't care  whether it is ' real ' or not ; if it is me 'astral projecting' or 'imagining' it ..  That is not the aim  (in the tradition I practised in ) . 

*  Here are a few snippets relating to the above ;

"  .... It is immaterial whether these exist or not. By doing certain things certain results will follow; students are most earnestly warned against attributing objective reality or philosophic validity to any of them.

3. The advantages to be gained from them are chiefly these:
(a) A widening of the horizon of the mind.
(b) An improvement of the control of the mind.

4. The student, if he attains any success in the following practices, will find himself confronted by things (ideas or {13} beings) too glorious or too dreadful to be described. It is essential that he remain the master of all that he beholds, hears or conceives; otherwise he will be the slave of illusion, and the prey of madness.

Before entering upon any of these practices, the student should be in good health .... "

And  considering the dangers of giving or seeking  an 'objective reality' confirmation to such practices 

" If ....  the student lose control, the result is insanity, obsession, fanaticism, or paralysis and death (add addiction to gossip and incurable idleness), according to the nature of the failure.  "  

And

" 2. Let him imagine his own figure (preferably robed in the proper magical garments and armed with the proper magical weapons) as enveloping his physical body, or standing near to and in front of him.

3. Let him then transfer the seat of his consciousness to that imagined figure; so that it may seem to him that he is seeing with its eyes, and hearing with its ears.

This will usually be the great difficulty of the operation.

4. Let him then cause that imagined figure to rise in the air ......."   etc . 

Another point of consideration is that we all function differently in our ;imagination'  some can just imagine complex  equations in stings of numbers and symbols, some work best with visual symbols, stories, or even vast imagined '  pageants '  .   The best football players can understand  ( 'visualise' )  the whole play, the field, each position and any  unfolding potentials, as if they were the coach in the stand, or the crowd yelling at the less competent players.  How each accomplished player does this does , depends on his make up,  it just might be an 'abstract knowing' , he might be working it all out  consciously and remembering the play well, it might be an image in his head.    People with outstanding brain functions often have 'strange or unusual' tricks  .....   memory ' theatres' etc .

Bruce Lee  claimed when he trained or fought, it was as if another part of him was above and watching and seeing things from an 'objective' position and that view would tell him what to do and how to react    ? ? ?    Well, I    wouldn't argue with him on that    :)  .

This too is a bit long, but you did ask for people with experience and results  ... I hope I also offered you some 'reason'   as well   (in both senses; reason itself  and  'a reason to do it' ) .

Take care of your health and try to  develop practices best suited to your particular 'mode' to help develop your fuller potentials to get over your issues and  come to a better balance so you can progress and develop further.

• Like 2

On ‎23‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 8:29 AM, papageorge1 said:

Well, we can all find sources to support whatever we want.

Then let us see the sources for what you write below.

My reasons for believing that astral projection is a real phenomenon comes from the teachings of the structure of the super-physical components of man as well as objective experiences of astral projectors knowing things that could not have been known through the 'it's all in the physical' view.

...Like any valid and real evidence  and results of  " objective experiences of astral projectors knowing things that could not have been known through the 'it's all in the physical' view."

Theosophy, Vedic studies, and the experiences of clairvoyants all tell us that we have an astral body and that it hovers outside the body during sleep. Actually this separation is what sleep is. 

... cite ... quote ... refer  ?    The onus is on your claim as most systems  see the 'astral' body  as within  and around the physical body , ie, coinciding with it , during consciousness and sleep.   The separation is what astral projection is supposed to be ....    the 'separation' of the astral body and the physical body doesn't define sleep.  

Many experienced astral projectors also tell of visiting places and even meeting other projectors. Remote viewing is also a statistically proven ability in my honest judgment. Keeping the evidence closer to home, posters here on this forum I have presented stories that could not be explained by the 'it's a;; in your head' view. I remember as just one example that struck me was a guy on here that new there was a police car down the street including its license plate number. He jumped out of bed drove down in his pajamas and confirmed the vehicle and the plate.

Ohhhhh    ' stories '     ya mean   !          Alright then    :rolleyes:

On ‎23‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 11:30 AM, OlderSoul said:

Thankyou very much for your feedback. I think I must be in the right place for someone else to have HEARD of Casteneda, let alone have read him.

Ohhh , heard of , read him ... yeaaars   back  when we used to do mescalin   ... old hat man  !   :)         But   ... well , don't wanna rain on your parade ,,, but  ... Castanada  ? 

I have a shamanic teacher  from a living tradition that goes back  tens of thousands of years  ....  if you think  Castanda was pretty wild  ......  

Yeah, you could be in the right place    .... but  it depends on who you take seriously or not    ;) 

Image result for chapel perilous

;) 

26 minutes ago, back to earth said:

Ohhh , heard of , read him ... yeaaars   back  when we used to do mescalin   ... old hat man  !   :)         But   ... well  [...] Castanada  ? [...]

Equivocal as are you about Lucifer, it behooves me to caution UM members about Castaneda's having been a fraud .

What's more, I had had OOBEs long before I ever heard about them or anything pertaining to the above.

Edited by aka CAT
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, back to earth said:

Ohhhhh    ' stories '     ya mean   !          Alright then    :rolleyes:

How do we know George Washington existed except by relying on historical testimony (stories and claims)?

Edited by papageorge1

18 minutes ago, aka CAT said:

Equivocal as are you about Lucifer, it behooves me to caution UM members about Castaneda's having been a fraud .

Indeed ... I was trying to be tactful  ... for a change      with my 

41 minutes ago, back to earth said:

But   ... well , don't wanna rain on your parade ,,, but  ... Castanada  ? 

So I do not recommend him . And I agree with   having   a real and  qualified teacher   in shamanism and other matters .

... and I poopoo new age stuff    ... full of woowoo   :) 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

How do we know George Washington existed except by relying on historical testimony (stories and claims)?

Nope .... not playing your games Pap .

You are totally avoiding the issues about the claims you made above . Address them first, then I talk to you .

5 minutes ago back to earth said:

Indeed ... I was trying to be tactful  ... for a change  [...]I do not recommend him[...]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fine, I just wouldn't want anyone to get the erroneous impression that the topic of this thread need involve any dark arts.

Edited by aka CAT

8 minutes ago, back to earth said:

Nope .... not playing your games Pap .

You are totally avoiding the issues about the claims you made above . Address them first, then I talk to you .

Bedtime. If you can clarify that ramble into one single clear question I will address it tomorrow.

31 minutes ago, aka CAT said:

5 minutes ago back to earth said:

Indeed ... I was trying to be tactful  ... for a change  [...]I do not recommend him[...]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fine, I just wouldn't want anyone to get the erroneous impression that the topic of this thread need involve any dark arts.

?

' Body of Light '   practice   and the way of 'cultivating it '   is   from a system of  ' Holy Magick of Light '   and other quotes were from  Order of the Golden Dawn's  document ' Development of the Powers of the Soul ' .   :) 

( and  Lucifer is a 'light being '     :) 

"

Lucifer (/ˈlsɪfər/, LOO-sif-ər), is a name that, according to dictionaries of the English language,[1][2][3] refers to the Devil (Satan) or to the planet Venus when appearing as the morning star.

In the first sense the name is the rendering of the Hebrew word הֵילֵל in Isaiah (Isaiah 14:12) given in the King James Version. This Bible version took the word from the Latin Vulgate,[4] which translated הֵילֵל by the Latin word lucifer (uncapitalized),[5][6] meaning "the morning star, the planet Venus", or, as an adjective, "light-bringing".[7]

In the second sense, the morning star, lucifer in Latin, was also personified and considered a Greco-Roman pagan god "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucifer    ) 

Edited by back to earth

19 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Bedtime. If you can clarify that ramble into one single clear question I will address it tomorrow.

see post  # 14

I await you  next excuse   :) 

To most English speaking persons, myself included, Lucifer is synonymous with the devil.  

Therefore, I reject all ambiguity that serves to redefine the Prince of Darkness in a favorable

light for that is exactly what Satanists, which often include Freemasons, do.  So, let us not

more digress from the main topic of this thread.

Edited by aka CAT

2 hours ago, back to earth said:

Take care of your health and try to  develop practices best suited to your particular 'mode' to help develop your fuller potentials to get over your issues and  come to a better balance so you can progress and develop further.

If I could like this post twice, I would.

• Like 1