Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery woman 'wails through letterboxes'

UM-Bot

Letterbox? Is this what we American's call a mailbox?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, NightScreams said:

Letterbox? Is this what we American's call a mailbox?

Yes, it's a mail slot.

But, over there, you don't have them built into the doors, do you?

Edited by acute
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, seeder said:

Thats nothing....I used to bang doors late at night....stick a cucumber in the letterbox and wiggle it about while shouting..."the martians are coming"

Well.......  We've all done that, back in the day.  Ran off with the milk afterwards.

Edited by acute
  • Like 3

When you get home from the pub you post your chips through the letterbox then try to open the door with a bent chip as you cannot find your door key (the Mrs was not amused)

• Like 5

After seeing what my dog does to the mail, I sincerely hope she doesn't try my mail slot!

• Like 1

Well, craziness aside she might genuinely need the help and was just going about it in the wrong way. Unless this is happening over more than one night.

• Like 1

That is just to funny. Talk about scaring the hell out of the neighbors lol. Thank goodness no one has guns over there or she would be shot.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, goodgodno said:

If there is a woman at your door in the middle of the night crying for help, you open that god damn door and help her. What are they afraid of? Was she wielding a weapon? There are enough stories of victims of kidnapping/rape/etc. escaping their captor, only to have trouble finding help because the general public are too scared too open their door or stop their car.

Yes but you open the door and then 2 or 3 guys in balaclavas rush in...which does happen in the UK... then what?  Or just look from a high window I guess...but I know what you mean... however the article mentions others had same experience on other nights... in same area...you cant need help every night can you?

• Like 3

I do have a kind of related story to tell.  Last winter at around 2-3 in the morning I heard my apartment buzzer going off so I went to see who it was.  Some woman said she was really cold and couldn't get in since she forgot her keys(it was below 0 outside), so I buzzed her in.  Turned out she was drunk out with some friends and they decided to pull the fire alarm on us.  Unfortunately for them they got stuck in the snow during their getaway and we got pictures of the truck and license plate.

It's people like this who ruin a person's desire to help out a stranger.

• Like 8

I always wondered about those letter slots in doors. Sounds like a security hazard. What do you do in the Winter when icy winds are blowing? Ignore it? Just curious.

Also time for a security camera so you can see who you didn't help. I think it's someone crazy or on drugs or a kids prank but would feel really bad if upon opeing the door in the morning there lay a dead woman.

Edited by UFOwatcher
more of same musing....
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, goodgodno said:

If there is a woman at your door in the middle of the night crying for help, you open that god damn door and help her. What are they afraid of? Was she wielding a weapon? There are enough stories of victims of kidnapping/rape/etc. escaping their captor, only to have trouble finding help because the general public are too scared too open their door or stop their car.

I'm with you.  How can you have someone crying at your door for two hours and not at least call the police to check it out?

17 hours ago, seeder said:

Yes but you open the door and then 2 or 3 guys in balaclavas rush in...which does happen in the UK... then what?  Or just look from a high window I guess...but I know what you mean... however the article mentions others had same experience on other nights... in same area...you cant need help every night can you?

That's what your gun is for :P

• Like 3

And not a single video of the event on YouTube? No one's got a smartphone in Kirkby? Or at least the door with a peephole to see who's banging?

P.S. 2 seanjo: He-he, we really have no mailslots in Siberia. ^_^ When it's -30°C outside you put your hand close to a corner in the wooden house (I mean a common village-type house, with a lot of cracks in the timber) and it feels like a strong chilling wind blowing from it, while it's actually dead calm out there. And the only solution for this is a very large brick stove or a fine big boiler, and to stoke it at least once a day. But the worst thing is that -30°C or lower often hangs on for a whole month, after which it may become close to 0°C for a couple of days and then -20°C again.

Edited by Chaldon
  • Like 2

(1) you either go to an upstairs window overlooking the door open it and ask her what she is wailing for, and if she needs help..or (2) phone the police and tell them what is happening, or both ,but never open your door after dark unless its someone you know and even then you must have some form of self defence ready, like pepper spray ..

• Like 3

1 minute ago, spud the mackem said:

(1) you either go to an upstairs window overlooking the door open it and ask her what she is wailing for, and if she needs help..or (2) phone the police and tell them what is happening, or both ,but never open your door after dark unless its someone you know and even then you must have some form of self defence ready, like pepper spray ..

Most thieves or con artists work during the day now. Yesterday, a young, blond girl knocked on a ladies door and said her car broke down, can she use the phone. The lady let her use the phone. Then she asked if she could use the bathroom and have a glass of water. When the lady got back with the water the girl was driving off in her car and her jewelry was gone.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Most thieves or con artists work during the day now. Yesterday, a young, blond girl knocked on a ladies door and said her car broke down, can she use the phone. The lady let her use the phone. Then she asked if she could use the bathroom and have a glass of water. When the lady got back with the water the girl was driving off in her car and her jewelry was gone.

One of the oldest tricks in the criminal book, some people are too trusting, but you never let stranger into your home, even the guy who comes to read your electricity , if they want a reading you ask them to wait and CLOSE your door ,go and get the reading then tell them, IF they are still there, if not call the Police and explain to them that you have just had a suspicious stranger at your door.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, spud the mackem said:

One of the oldest tricks in the criminal book, some people are too trusting, but you never let stranger into your home, even the guy who comes to read your electricity , if they want a reading you ask them to wait and CLOSE your door ,go and get the reading then tell them, IF they are still there, if not call the Police and explain to them that you have just had a suspicious stranger at your door.

Ours are all on computer now. For a while they drove past your house with a scanner to read the meters. Now they don't even have to do that. It feeds automatically into the their main computers. :D

I wouldn't fall for any stupid excuse. Everyone has a phone in their hands these days...including the wailing woman.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Ours are all on computer now. For a while they drove past your house with a scanner to read the meters. Now they don't even have to do that. It feeds automatically into the their main computers. :D

I wouldn't fall for any stupid excuse. Everyone has a phone in their hands these days...including the wailing woman.

Well Michelle your place is obviously more high tech than us old dinosaurs, we still have guys wanting to read the meter on electricity and gas. and we have two dear old ladies who come knocking on your door every month or so and try to get you to join their religion, I have a chat with them and end it by saying Shalom and they go away.(no harm done).

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, spud the mackem said:

Well Michelle your place is obviously more high tech than us old dinosaurs, we still have guys wanting to read the meter on electricity and gas. and we have two dear old ladies who come knocking on your door every month or so and try to get you to join their religion, I have a chat with them and end it by saying Shalom and they go away.(no harm done).

It's probably been fifteen years or more since I've had any religion pushers knocking on the door. It's not like we don't have a church every few blocks. I guess they figure they have it covered and everyone is already saved. :lol:

• Like 3

This story gave me the chills. It reminded me of the movie 'Scream of the Banshee' ...

• Like 3

On 24/07/2017 at 5:45 AM, seeder said:

Thats nothing....I used to bang doors late at night....stick a cucumber in the letterbox and wiggle it about while shouting..."the martians are coming"

At least it was only a cucumber Seeder :lol:...

• Like 2

She did it to someone for an hour? I'd have called the cops after the first five minutes.

• Like 6

The last time someone was knocking like crazy, me and my daughter had slept in.  I was changing out of my pjs while my daughter was trying to see who it was.  They went from front door to patio door to back door.  I had always told my daughter that we didn't have to open our door to anyone...finally I hear her tell to me it was a police man looking in the window at her!  Lol.  Poor guy was looking for a woman and it was an emergency.  We live on a Street, but I know there is the same address on an avenue.  Once I explained to him we don't open the door since there are some sketchy neighbours, he understood why my daughter was sneaking around the house spying in him :lol:

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

The last time someone was knocking like crazy, me and my daughter had slept in.  I was changing out of my pjs while my daughter was trying to see who it was.  They went from front door to patio door to back door.  I had always told my daughter that we didn't have to open our door to anyone...finally I hear her tell to me it was a police man looking in the window at her!  Lol.  Poor guy was looking for a woman and it was an emergency.  We live on a Street, but I know there is the same address on an avenue.  Once I explained to him we don't open the door since there are some sketchy neighbours, he understood why my daughter was sneaking around the house spying in him :lol:

More than anyone else, the police understand that! :tu:

• Like 3