Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lottery deny man 5 Million for scratchcard

seeder

Oh boy thats got to hurt....

California man sues lottery over denied $5M Scratcher winnings

A California man sued the state and California Lottery Commission alleging he was wrongfully denied a $5 million Scratchers ticket prize because his 16-year-old son bought the winning ticket.

Ward Thomas filed a lawsuit with the Los Angeles Superior Court claiming the commission's failure to discharge a mandatory duty, breach of contract, negligence and both intentional and negligent representation. The suit seeks unspecified damages.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/07/22/california-man-sues-lottery-over-denied-5m-scratcher-winnings.html

• Like 4

He isn't going to win. They got him on a pretty strong technicality.

• Like 5

I don't think the guy had much of a leg to stand on. 

I wonder if the Mobile station will face any penalties for allowing a minor to cash in winning tickets? 

• Like 6

A few years back I read about a guy that had a winning lotto ticket (somewhere in the multi-millions range) but did not check the numbers until over a year later when the ticket had expired... That guy deserves a bit of sympathy (and a smack upside the back of his head)...

• Like 3

You know the odds of winning one of those things is about the same as being struck by lighting while being chased by Bigfoot, right?

• Like 2

Imagine going through life budgeting for bills, getting an expensive mortgage etc. when you know you had a $5million win on the lottery, but couldn't collect because of a technicality.

Bit of a downer, I would think.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, AnchorSteam said:

You know the odds of winning one of those things is about the same as being struck by lighting while being chased by Bigfoot, right?

The odds of winning the UK lottery when it first came out was roughly 1 in 14 million. Apparently this was just too good of a deal,  the lottery was revamped and the odds are now 1 in 45 million.

I do it every now and then think the most I have won is £10. yip thats £10 sterling.:-)

Edited by RAyMO
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, AnchorSteam said:

So... you're saying there's a chance then?

• Like 4

Damn the dumb part is why tell anyone who bought it. When I was 16 I would have said, dad I got a ticket worth 5 million bucks but the catch is I want half :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Silver Thong said:

Damn the dumb part is why tell anyone who bought it. When I was 16 I would have said, dad I got a ticket worth 5 million bucks but the catch is I want half :D

I think the Lottery of California probably checks the video from the store where the ticket was purchased. I've heard that they do that in Florida.

2 minutes ago, Bama13 said:

I think the Lottery of California probably checks the video from the store where the ticket was purchased. I've heard that they do that in Florida.

Hmmm ya I can see that being true. However what if it was a birthday present or just a gift to his dad. However why did the store sell him the ticket if it was not allowed. Maybe he should have bought a six pack instead. 

• Like 1

Here's a UK 16 year old girl who won £1.6Million and feels it was a curse:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2364735/Britains-youngest-lottery-winner-Callie-Rogers-My-2m-lotto-win-16-curse-I-broke-Im-happy.html

I don't really understand this. I am sure we could do a search on the internet and find people who have had massive wins on lotteries, and wish they had not.

Traditionally, it has always been noted that people tend to have money at the wrong time in their lives- you are broke in your 20's but rich in your 60's.

But here are youngsters bitterly regretting their millions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eugeneonegin said:

Here's a UK 16 year old girl who won £1.6Million and feels it was a curse:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2364735/Britains-youngest-lottery-winner-Callie-Rogers-My-2m-lotto-win-16-curse-I-broke-Im-happy.html

I don't really understand this. I am sure we could do a search on the internet and find people who have had massive wins on lotteries, and wish they had not.

Traditionally, it has always been noted that people tend to have money at the wrong time in their lives- you are broke in your 20's but rich in your 60's.

People are generally stupid. 

Is that he same girl that is trying to sue the lottery company?

6 hours ago, Timonthy said:

People are generally stupid. 

Is that he same girl that is trying to sue the lottery company?

Na, that was another sad person.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, eugeneonegin said:

You always see reports like this.   They are the exceptions.   There are exceptions to almost anything.   For the vast majority, having a couple million dollars is going to make your life much better.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Myles said:

You always see reports like this.   They are the exceptions.   There are exceptions to almost anything.   For the vast majority, having a couple million dollars is going to make your life much better.  

I heard years ago that a guy in the US won over 200 million and filled for bankruptcy a few years later, how the hell does that happen. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, The Silver Thong said:

I heard years ago that a guy in the US won over 200 million and filled for bankruptcy a few years later, how the hell does that happen. 

Stupidity, lots and lots of stupidity.  

You would think that the assets you accumulate (house, cars ect..) would be enough to take care of you for the rest of your life.

• Like 1

Just now, Myles said:

Stupidity, lots and lots of stupidity.  

You would think that the assets you accumulate (house, cars ect..) would be enough to take care of you for the rest of your life.

One would think. I could live 5 life times on that. 

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 7:05 PM, AnchorSteam said:

And don't forget then being abducted by aliens.

11 hours ago, HauntedDreams80 said:

And don't forget then being abducted by aliens.

I think there may actually be more people in those post-abduction therapy groups than winners of seven-figure amounts. 

And don't forget the taxes.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The Silver Thong said:

Ask countless celebrities...

Just now, Timonthy said:

Ask countless celebrities...

Good point. I see some pretty famous people doing cable and cell phone adds.  

The way I think about it is that you shouldn't go wild at all really and especially not if it's a smaller lottery win. £1m is only £33,000 every year for the next 30 years. That's not 'millionaire' money, it's a normal wage. Even £5m isn't multiple houses, cars and boats type money.

Edited by ExpandMyMind