Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Billions of rogue planets without a home

Claire.

Wandering in the Void, Billions of Rogue Planets without a Home

Not all planets have a home. For decades, astronomers and science fiction authors alike have speculated about orphaned orbs cast adrift from their home stars, endlessly wandering the boundless reaches of interstellar space.

Read more Scientific American

• Like 5

That's a very interesting article. The probability of the space inbetweeen the suns being occupied by isolated but self sustaining, island dark worlds is high I believe. They might even be the typical type of world that's inhabited by beings like us. Some may even be in close proximity, undetected by our instruments. Who knows.

• Like 1

Good article.  I am reading Origins by Neil DeGrasse Tyson. The six most common elements in the universe we can see are hydrogen, carbon, oxygen, nitrogen, and two inert gasses, helium ans neon.   The four most common elements of earth's life making up about 99% of our mass are hydrogen, carbon, oxygen, nitrogen.  We are composed of the most common elements in stars and interstellar space. The most common elements in the earth's crust are oxygen, silicon, aluminum, iron.  The most common elements in the ocean are oxygen, hydrogen, chlorine, sodium.  Carbon, the backbone of organic chemistry forms a bigger percentage of stellar material than of earth's crust or oceans.  It might make you think that if there is an energy source like radioactive decay in one of those rogue planets life might not be impossible.

• Like 1

Life is teeming in the universe. There are many worlds out there like ours, peopled with human beings similar to us I believe. Some of these worlds, the most evolved, utilize a source of energy that's ubiquitous in the universe, but as yet, undiscovered here. Perhaps, it won't be long though. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Will Due said:

Life is teeming in the universe. There are many worlds out there like ours, peopled with human beings similar to us I believe. Some of these worlds, the most evolved, utilize a source of energy that's ubiquitous in the universe, but as yet, undiscovered here. Perhaps, it won't be long though. 

Well, we have here, on Earth, places that are desolate as Mars (Atacama desert, for example). Think about it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Will Due said:

Life is teeming in the universe.

We have evidence of exactly 1 world with life. I think you might have meant to say "The Universe might be teeming with life" ?

There are many worlds out there like ours, peopled with human beings similar to us I believe.

How could there be human being on other worlds ? Again maybe you meant something like "There might be world with beings that looks like us"

Some of these worlds, the most evolved, utilize a source of energy that's ubiquitous in the universe, but as yet, undiscovered here.

If its undiscovered here how do you know it exists ?

Perhaps, it won't be long though. 

Or perhaps it was made up ?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

We have evidence of exactly 1 world with life. I think you might have meant to say "The Universe might be teeming with life" ?

How could there be human being on other worlds ? Again maybe you meant something like "There might be world with beings that looks like us"

If its undiscovered here how do you know it exists ?

Or perhaps it was made up ?

I said it's what I believe

Even scientists believe their theory first. Then look for evidence that'll prove it.

It's just what I believe based on my education. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Will Due said:

I said it's what I believe

Then why didn't you say that ?

Even scientists believe their theory first. Then look for evidence that'll prove it.

Good scientists looks at the evidence and the comes up with a theory to fit the evidence.

By the way you can't have a scientific theory based on belief, thats a hyphothesis at best. A theory is something that is based on evidence. 

It's just what I believe based on my education. 

You have a belief based education ?

1 minute ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Then why didn't you say that ?

I did.

2 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Good scientists looks at the evidence and the comes up with a theory to fit the evidence.

Not always. Einstein theorized first. He even left it up to others to find the evidence, not because he was lazy, because he was a genius.

6 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

You have a belief based education ?

Of couse i do.

Education (indoctrination) has a purpose and results in belief, and might be good (right), or might be bad (wrong).

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Not always. Einstein theorized first. He even left it up to others to find the evidence, not because he was lazy, because he was a genius.

He based his theory on observations done by others, such as Michelson, Lorentz, Poincaré and Mach. His genius was in unifying those observations into a single theory. So he did exactly what I said a good scientist does.

24 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

He based his theory on observations done by others, such as Michelson, Lorentz, Poincaré and Mach. 

He based his theories on "thought experiments" i.e. his beliefs.

3 hours ago, Will Due said:

He based his theories on "thought experiments" i.e. his beliefs.

Sure he did though experiments, but he based them on known observations, not on beliefs or guess work. Those observations were made by other people. This is not to belittle Einstein, because it takes a true genius to take many different observations and come up with an explanation that brings them together. 

Here is a little timeline of special relativity: https://www.nobelprize.org/educational/physics/relativity/history-1.html

Anyway I think we should leave it at that because this seems to be yet another discussion that will end up being about semantics.

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Anyway I think we should leave it at that because this seems to be yet another discussion that will end up being about semantics.

I agree. Besides, it only takes away from the topic which is an interesting one.

I believe, that the universe has many inhabited worlds like ours. I also believe that life is nurtured there, like here, to evolve human beings that might be very different from us, but in the essentials, are exactly the same.

I also believe that there are many other types of beings out there, and also here, visitng from other worlds that exist on a different undetectable universe level than we do, and are involved, and always have been involved, with us.

That's what I believe but I don't have any proof.

I see what nature suggests though about life and it doesn't make sense to me that this is the only planet where life has evolved. Nature suggests that all life is similar fundamentally, and that none of it is alien to us. It's all very similar.

Edited by Will Due