Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Life behind bars gets new twist

thedutchiedutch

Breda (Netherlands) (AFP) – Voices echo around the magnificent, luminous dome of Breda prison, breaking the silence of the 130-year-old building, now empty of inmates like dozens of others in The Netherlands.

Falling crime rates over the last decade, as well as changing ideas about punishing criminals have robbed this penitentiary of its original purpose, and its gates clanged shut in 2014.

Built in 1886, it was possible to watch everything happening in the prison from its central courtyard under the main dome — a classic example of the 18th century social theory of Panopticism on passive behaviour when people are constantly observed, first mooted by the English philosopher Jeremy Bentham and later built upon by his French counterpart Michel Foucault.

Link to full article & source : http://www.breitbart.com/news/life-behind-bars-gets-new-twist-in-empty-dutch-prisons/

• Like 4

Not quite the Shangri-La the headlines imply:

A confidential report by the police and public prosecution office states that official figures do not reflect the real volume of crime in the Netherlands, Trouw reported on Friday. In the report, top police and justice ministry offcials express fears of being put at ‘an insurmountable disadvantage’ by criminal elements, the paper writes. The report, which was meant to be handed to a new cabinet after the March elections, mentions many crimes go unrecorded due to a lack of police capacity and a fall in people willing to report crimes. The capacity problem is so serious that citizens are losing faith in justice and criminals are acting with impunity, the paper quotes the report as saying.

Source: Dutch News.NL

• Like 2

Well I think that the main topic of this article is to show that you can re-use buildings for other purposes when no longer needed for the intended purpose rather than demolishing them. But when it comes to crime in the Netherlands, I was born and raised there, from as far as I remember a lot of crime was and according to friends and family still is dealt with without getting the police involved. When your bike gets stolen you just "take" someone else's, when your have a conflict with your neighbour's you resolve it with words or with your fists, no police needed. Living in Northern America for a while now I noticed that most people call the police for almost everything the tiniest things which I find rather silly.