Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bain Family Murders

Kismit

On June 20th in 1994, 5 Members of the Bain family of Dunedin New Zealand where shot and Murdered in their Every street family home.

Originally David, the only surviving family member, was charged and jailed for the murder of his family, only to be aquited a year or two back. The defence claiming that Robin, the Father, had murdered everyone leaving a message on a computer screen supposedly claiming David was the only one who deserved to live.

Recently evidence and a very well investigated pod cast have been released.

The evidence for anyone who is interested can be found here and a more detailed version in the pod cast Here.

Very interesting. Who do you think did it? Robin or David?

Edited by Kismit
original post written while listening to podcast. Bad!
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Kismit said:

Very interesting. Who do youbthink did it? Robin or David?

David.

I agree with the conclusions drawn at the end of the podcast. The fight with Stephen is critical. It was, apparently, a desperate, vicious fight, and it was David. not Robin who bore physical evidence of having been involved in that altercation. Also, as the prosecution argued, only the killer could have heard Laniet gurgling. There are other bits of evidence as well, and whilst a great deal of it was circumstantial, it points to David more so than it does his father.

There's no question police bungled the investigation, but that does not mean the outcome of the first trial was the wrong one.

• Like 1

I also wonder why a man set on killing himself would do a load of washing after murdering his family and before shooting himself.

But still David was aquitted. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kismit said:

This mornings connected story.

The devil and Mrs Bain

Oh wow. But wait, the story gets even more twisted. Turns out the father was also quite seriously disturbed and had reportedly published brutal and sadistic children's stories, one of which involved the serial murder of members of a family. There's no question the family was dysfunctional and the children traumatized in more ways than one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kismit said:

I also wonder why a man set on killing himself would do a load of washing after murdering his family and before shooting himself.

But still David was aquitted. 

It was David who did the washing wasn't it? Or did I miss something? If I recall, the prosecution said it was strange that David came home from his paper route and immediately did a small load of wash. Obviously, according to their analysis, the wash was to clean his bloody clothes and the evidence found in the laundry room indicated as much. Also, if his father had indeed killed everyone and himself by that point, there is no way David would not have seen his body on his way to the laundry room.

But it's his sister's gurgling more than anything that convinced me David did it. He testified that he found Laniet still gurgling, so that would mean that he found her between the first shot and the last, fatal one. So if he didn't fire the fatal shot, who did? Everyone in his family, including his father, were dead at that point.

• Like 1

There was a bloody handprint on the washing powder container. Someone did the washing.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Kismit said:

There was a bloody handprint on the washing powder container. Someone did the washing.

Yes. In addition to the handprint on the powder container, investigators also found a partial bloody handprint on the top of the washing machine, and some blood on the side of the machine. The prosecution maintained that David used the laundry room to wash his bloodied clothes, but I can't recall if they were able to match the prints to his.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Claire. said:

Yes. In addition to the handprint on the powder container, investigators also found a partial bloody handprint on the top of the washing machine, and some blood on the side of the machine. The prosecution maintained that David used the laundry room to wash his bloodied clothes, but I can't recall if they were able to match the prints to his.

If they where Robin's prints why would he wash his clothes before changing into new clothes to kill himself.

If they where David's prints why was washing clothes important. 

Also the green woollen fibers found in Steven's hand where consistant with the green jersey that was hung on the line. Making it very likely the perpetrator was wearing the green jersey during the fight.

• Like 1

And why bother to wear gloves as a means of not leaving evidence if you planned on typing out a confession and then killing yourself?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Claire. said:

And why bother to wear gloves as a means of not leaving evidence if you planned on typing out a confession and then killing yourself?

And why was David's bloody hand print found on the gun?

Yet many people believe Robin did it and that David was framed by mishandled evidence.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kismit said:

And why was Davide's bloody hand print found on the gun?

Yet many people believe Robin did it and that David was framed by mishandled evidence.

It was also mentioned that Robin was frail and would have been unable to overpower Stephen during a vicious fight. And Stephen obviously fought hard to stay alive. So there's that as well. Not to mention the fact that Stephen's blood was found on David's clothes, not Robin's.

Also, David apparently had mentioned something to friends about committing a crime and using his paper route as an alibi. The idea being to work out a new route whilst at the same time being punctual and ensuring he was seen by his customers. So interesting how the murders were committed so close in time with his paper run. I cannot recall if his friends' testimony was allowed or not.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Kismit said:

Todays story.

The Binnie tapes

A rare look at David Bain adressing the evidence.

Whilst there was a lot he couldn't remember, he did not deny hearing his sister gurgling (his lawyer's suggestion that the gurgling may have been the washing machine is totally absurd, but anyway). So he impressed the judge by admitting to recalling things that might have pointed to his guilt, but not remembering things that would have pointed to his innocence, such as the possibility that he might have touched Stephen and transferred the blood to his clothing that way.

He also managed to explain why his friend gave anecdotal evidence (about the crime and the paper route) by providing a reason why that friend might have been motivated to lie. Well done David! lol

• Like 2

Something just occurred to me. A great deal of it seems to hinge on the fact that David did not appear to have a motive, whereas his father Robin allegedly did have one. Given the nature of the motive attached to Robin, it makes sense why some fingers pointed towards him and away from David. Did the possibility that David became unhinged in what was clearly a highly stressful and dysfunctional environment never occur to anyone? In some ways, the evidence left on the computer is the most telling of all.

Only David deserved to live.

• Like 2

There was never a motive given for David, and I don't belive it was a snap decision for David to kill his family. I believe it was very much planned and pre-meditated.

I used to live in the street at the top of Every street in Dunedin. I also have been known to run for that least expected reason of pleasure. I would never choose to run even halfway up Every street ( where number 65 was), it is encredibly steep. Perhaps if I where training for something I might but there are plenty of other challenging tracks around that area. I think he started training for it months in advance. 

And as for David's motive. In the wirds of the defence you can't make sense out of the sensless.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kismit said:

There was never a motive given for David, and I don't belive it was a snap decision for David to kill his family. I believe it was very much planned and pre-meditated.

I used to live in the street at the top of Every street in Dunedin. I also have been known to run for that least expected reason of pleasure. I would never choose to run even halfway up Every street ( where number 65 was), it is encredibly steep. Perhaps if I where training for something I might but there are plenty of other challenging tracks around that area. I think he started training for it months in advance. 

And as for David's motive. In the wirds of the defence you can't make sense out of the sensless.

The Devil and Mrs. Bain story you posted gave considerable insight into a family led by parents who were totally unhinged. The environment those kids were in was beyond unhealthy. We know some of what went on there, but not the totality of it. Exorcisms, voodoo cults, and who knows what else. It is difficult to believe that her behavior did not adversely affect her children. The father's behavior was also questionable, to put it mildly.

But I totally agree with you in that the entire thing seemed totally premeditated, and I suspect David had thought of it for a very long time.

It was mentioned that the house was eventually burned down. Do you know if anything was later built on the property, or is it just an empty lot?

Oh and is it me, or did you also get the sense that the judge seemed fairly soft and sympathetic towards David?

• Like 1

I don't think the Judge had a choice David had lost his entire family and was under trial for the Murders. That level of stress should considered when adjudicating.

I believe a house has been built on the old site but I'm not sure. It's easy enough to google map 65 Every street Dunedin and find out.

Yes. There is a lovely new home on the site.

• Like 1