Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Researchers creating protein out of thin air

seeder

Finnish Researchers Just Created Edible Protein Virtually Out of Thin Air

The process, which was created by Finnish researchers at the Lappeenranta University of Technology and the VTT Technical Research Centre, uses electricity and carbon dioxide to create single-cell protein.

Since the process has zero environmental impacts whatsoever, the protein can be used to feed animals and humans alike without any damage to the earth. Assuming there is a renewable energy source present, the nutrient can be grown without fertilizers, pesticides, or the creation of dangerous greenhouse gases.

“Some organisms have the ability to utilize hydrogen as a source of energy. Electricity from, for example, solar power, can enable this,” says VTT’s principal researcher Juha-Pekka Pitkänen, according to Yle Uutiset.

“There’s nothing wrong with photosynthesis, but this method benefits from a more direct path to the sun’s power,” Pitkänen says. “In practice, all the raw materials are available from the air. In the future, the technology can be transported to, for instance, deserts and other areas facing famine. One possible alternative is a home reactor, a type of domestic appliance that the consumer can use to produce the needed protein.”

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/researchers-just-created-edible-protein-virtually-thin-air/

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, seeder said:

This sounds pretty damn awesome,i just kind of wonder about the bioavailabilty of the protein...

Is it a "complete" protein?...or like beans and missing a few aminos?

• Like 4

That sounds too good to be true. So much so that I'm tempted to invoke Soylent Green. Lol. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, seeder said:

"Since the process has zero environmental impacts whatsoever, the protein can be used to feed animals and humans alike without any damage to the earth"

This is not true, Even the process of making solar panels and transporting any product could be said to hurt the environment lets not forget about all the workers that drive to work.  It sounds good on paper, but really not. A few years ago I thought 3d printers would be like owning a microwave now a days. 

43 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

That sounds too good to be true. So much so that I'm tempted to invoke Soylent Green. Lol. 

I do chew on my lips sometimes. 

• Like 1

Unless this is cost-prohibitive, it could be the answer to the recurring famines in Africa.  What an awesome discovery!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

I was kind of thing about those jello bug bars from the movie Snowpiercer myself. :lol:

Not bad, but I've been able to do that with fat for around 10 years.

• Like 1

I wonder if the same process will work on Mars as well ...

~

• Like 3