Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Germany wants more EU sanctions on Russia

bmk1245

Exclusive: Germany wants more EU sanctions on Russia over Siemens Crimea turbines - sources

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - Germany is urging the European Union to add up to four more Russian nationals and companies to the bloc's sanctions blacklist over Siemens (SIEGn.DE) gas turbines delivered to Moscow-annexed Crimea, two sources in Brussels said.

The EU has barred its firms from doing business with Crimea since the 2014 annexation, imposed sanctions on Russian individuals and entities, and curbed cooperation with Russia in energy, arms and finance over its role in the crisis in Ukraine.

Read more...

Good, keep pushing until Russian empire crumbles, like USSR.

People's Republic of Siberia...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bmk1245 said:

Good, keep pushing until Russian empire crumbles, like USSR.

People's Republic of Siberia...

I have no problem with putting pressure on the Russian government/thugocracy, but I wonder about Putin's reaction if his buddies begin to get pinched too hard.  He had a free run for 8 years with the coward-in-chief and now he is watching an unprecedented attack against a U.S. president by the media and half the country.  He may decide he has room to push back and become aggressive.  If he miscalculates, really bad outcomes are possible.  OTOH, if Trump doesn't keep the pressure up, he will be seen as weak and Vlad may STILL act out inappropriately, causing a problem for the world.  I think the world today is closer to the use of a nuclear weapon than it was for most of the Cold War.

Germany wants more sanctions on Russia. Well, how much Gas does Germany still buy off the Russians again, 36%? Stop buying Russian gas! Oh, no cant do that it would damage the German economy, the irony of it all. - is this the same Germany that prevented the USA from putting sanctions on Russia earlier this year.

from June 2017.

Germany threatens retaliation if US pushes ahead with Russia sanctions it says could harm European economy

German leaders have reacted angrily to proposed new American sanctions on Russia they say target Moscow’s new gas pipeline to Europe, threatening retaliation if the measures harm the European economy.

The Nord Stream 2 pipeline is being built beneath the Baltic Sea to supply Russian gas to Germany and beyond. It avoids older routes through Ukraine, which have been disrupted by disputes between Kiev and Moscow.

In a joint statement, Sigmar Gabriel, the German Foreign Minister, and Christian Kern, the Austrian Chancellor, said European energy supplies were a matter for Europe not the US.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/16/germany-threatens-retaliation-us-pushes-ahead-russia-sanctions/

what a double dealing, hypocritical world we live.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, and then said:

I have no problem with putting pressure on the Russian government/thugocracy, but I wonder about Putin's reaction if his buddies begin to get pinched too hard.  He had a free run for 8 years with the coward-in-chief and now he is watching an unprecedented attack against a U.S. president by the media and half the country.  He may decide he has room to push back and become aggressive.  If he miscalculates, really bad outcomes are possible.  OTOH, if Trump doesn't keep the pressure up, he will be seen as weak and Vlad may STILL act out inappropriately, causing a problem for the world.  I think the world today is closer to the use of a nuclear weapon than it was for most of the Cold War.

What pressure? Russia was celebrating your Trump like he was their choice for US president... oh, wait... he was Russian choice for US president. 

It's questionable if that same Trump will veto further (US, of course not EU) sanctions on Russia.

And the reason why Russia was so delighted with the actual election of their asset is because NATO was among the first things he attempted destroying.

If there is actual further open Russian aggression, it will be Trump's direct fault.   

33 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

it will be Trump's direct fault.  

Of course, it will, aunty.  Isn't everything?  I hear he causes cancer in lab rats.  Trump rattled the complacent Europeans that had been spending more on social welfare than their own defense.  They NEEDED rattling.  The result was a photo op of the group openly mocking him but they ALSO have started making plans to strengthen their own militaries and even consider a Franco-German army for Europe.  It's about time.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

What pressure? Russia was celebrating your Trump like he was their choice for US president... oh, wait... he was Russian choice for US president. 

It's questionable if that same Trump will veto further (US, of course not EU) sanctions on Russia.

And the reason why Russia was so delighted with the actual election of their asset is because NATO was among the first things he attempted destroying.

If there is actual further open Russian aggression, it will be Trump's direct fault.   

You do know what sanctions are right. They are put in place to change a nations policy hence influencing governments so who is guilty in the manipulation of who? Stevewinn  is right, hypocrisy is rampant.

Could you please explain your last sentence as it makes no sense. I was under the impression  you thought Trump and Putin were in bed together.  Or are they having a tiff 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, and then said:

Of course, it will, aunty.  Isn't everything?  I hear he causes cancer in lab rats.  Trump rattled the complacent Europeans that had been spending more on social welfare than their own defense.  They NEEDED rattling.  The result was a photo op of the group openly mocking him but they ALSO have started making plans to strengthen their own militaries and even consider a Franco-German army for Europe.  It's about time.

Unless there's actual war breaking out, no one sane should spend more on defence than on education, healthcare, welfare and other essentials that are the reason why we live organized in countries anyway.  

Trump said 'NATO is obsolete'. He is obviously accustomed to saying anything without thinking about consequences, but I am not. 

Later he changed his mind, then changed it back... it doesn't matter how many times he will change it again. The first time he opened his mouth and said that NATO is obsolete, he made clear what he is. 

So spare me the spinning. 

EU sanctions on Russia are needed especially because of Trump. He managed to make US role - mildly put - unclear.

Even without that bizarre change for the worse, EU must remind Russia just how important role it plays in Russian economy. Though I seriously doubt Russians would forget such details. They still have people with actual brains making decisions for them. 

edit: I just noticed that Trump accused Ukraine of supporting Hillary, in his tweets, naturally... I just... I'm rarely speechless, but this is... this must be an experiment. This is too bizarre to be real.  

Edited by Helen of Annoy
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

EU sanctions on Russia are needed especially because of Trump. He managed to make US role - mildly put - unclear.

Even without that bizarre change for the worse, EU must remind Russia just how important role it plays in Russian economy. Though I seriously doubt Russians would forget such details. They still have people with actual brains making decisions for them. 

Rather bizarrely EU sanctions seem to consist of guaranteeing an enormous benefit for Russia by buying its gas... oohh, that's really gonna hurt Russia :P  I think Germany has a lot more to worry about if the gas supplies are turned off by Putin.

As Steve points out-this is sheer hypocrisy by Merkel and Germany. She really needs to realise that whilst German pronouncements in the EU are effectively Law, they hold little weight in the wider world.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, keithisco said:

Rather bizarrely EU sanctions seem to consist of guaranteeing an enormous benefit for Russia by buying its gas... oohh, that's really gonna hurt Russia :P  I think Germany has a lot more to worry about if the gas supplies are turned off by Putin.

As Steve points out-this is sheer hypocrisy by Merkel and Germany. She really needs to realise that whilst German pronouncements in the EU are effectively Law, they hold little weight in the wider world.

So, let Putin turn it off. Just like last year. Remember, when Russia didn't do it? Exactly. They're not giving their gas to Europe, they're selling it. I believe any further clarifications would be redundant. Or futile, for those in Trump camp. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

So, let Putin turn it off. Just like last year. Remember, when Russia didn't do it? Exactly. They're not giving their gas to Europe, they're selling it. I believe any further clarifications would be redundant. Or futile, for those in Trump camp. 

...but isn't that the whole point of sanctions-to hurt a nations finances? Putin holds all of the trump cards in that he knows that Germany will always buy Russian Gas, so the Russian Treasury will always be funded by the hypocrisy of Germany. Why not buy USA Gas-or does that upset German sensibilities?

2 minutes ago, keithisco said:

...but isn't that the whole point of sanctions-to hurt a nations finances? Putin holds all of the trump cards in that he knows that Germany will always buy Russian Gas, so the Russian Treasury will always be funded by the hypocrisy of Germany. Why not buy USA Gas-or does that upset German sensibilities?

How should we get it here?

You should tell Merkel to shut up or it may be a very cold winter for you. Stock up. 

Don't bite the hand that feeds you. 

Edited by The Silver Thong

2 minutes ago, The Silver Thong said:

You should tell Merkel to shut up or it may be a very cold winter for you. Stock up. 

You think she will listen to me?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, keithisco said:

While I agree with your previous comment, there are many other ways to hurt 'Russian' finances.

• Like 1

Just now, FLOMBIE said:

You think she will listen to me?

Not you alone but she needs to go she is dragging Gemany down.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

While I agree with your previous comment, there are many other ways to hurt 'Russian' finances.

Now what would happen if Russia and China put sanctions on you and the US. 

Edited by The Silver Thong

5 minutes ago, The Silver Thong said:

Not you alone but she needs to go she is dragging Gemany down.  

Is she? Economically we are doing well. I'm not a fan of her, but saying she would be dragging the country down goes to far. She's no Trudeau. She knows what she is doing. Again, she is in office since 2005. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Silver Thong said:

Now what would happen if Russia and China put sanctions on you and the US. 

Neither would make any money.

5 minutes ago, FLOMBIE said:

Is she? Economically we are doing well. I'm not a fan of her, but saying she would be dragging the country down goes to far. She's no Trudeau. She knows what she is doing. Again, she is in office since 2005. 

Trudeau Is a joke just as Merkel is. They both are hurting our nations. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Neither would make any money.

and the US would collapse 

Just now, The Silver Thong said:

Trudeau Is a joke just as Merkel is. They both are hurting our nations. 

They are both very different politicians who stand for very different policies. Would Trudeau have voted against gay marriage? How has Germany developed since 2005? 

Just now, FLOMBIE said:

They are both very different politicians who stand for very different policies. Would Trudeau have voted against gay marriage? How has Germany developed since 2005? 

Germany is a powerhouse but it's loosing due to back door politics and political correctness. Trudeau means nothing to me. Gay Marriage? I think we had that before Trudeau. Now stop hitting on me lol

The sanctions are narrowly targeted at 4 individuals and companies that are involved with the Siemens Turbines.  Because those turbines are being used to build up Russia's stake in Crimea which they annexed.

I seriously doubt that a countries economy will be hurt because of those. 4 entities.  It's as idiotic as saying the US economy will collapse if the world sanctions Trump's businesses.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, The Silver Thong said:

and the US would collapse 

I don't think it would collapse. It has the infrastructure and oil (largest deposits of oil in the world if I'm not msiaken) to survive and even prosper, albeit at the expense of corporations. 

1 hour ago, FLOMBIE said:

How should we get it here?

The same way the UK imports gas from the USA-by LNG tankers.