Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Chupacabra stalks Riverside County, CA?

The Caspian Hare

In the rocky Box Springs Mountain territory, residents say they believe that the strange wild animal they’ve encountered since the beginning of the year is the legendary chupacabra.

“I thought, ‘That is the strangest looking animal I’ve ever seen,’” said M.J. Bunt, an early childhood educator.

She saw the creature for the first time a year ago, eating fruit from a tree in a front yard of a nearby home.

“The ears of a deer, long snout, no hair, tail like a rat, long hindquarters,” she said. “I thought it might be a sick coyote, a sick wolf. But it had too many different characteristics from any of them.”

http://www.presstelegram.com/oddities/20170721/residents-say-chupacabra-stalks-mountains-of-riverside-county

She drew it on a chalkboard. Not paper, not computer, a chalkboard. ^_^

Edited by The Russian Hare
Capitalize
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Goodf3llow said:

Hairless Opossum? Fits all the features/love fruit..

No opossums in the area but raccoons and coyotes abound as well as coatimundi which if infected with mange would fit the description as well. 

24 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

No opossums in the area but raccoons and coyotes abound as well as coatimundi which if infected with mange would fit the description as well. 

Those critters are everywhere, Riverside county definitely has opossums. Could be Coyote though too..

48 minutes ago, Goodf3llow said:

Those critters are everywhere, Riverside county definitely has opossums. Could be Coyote though too..

You're right, I stand corrected. I live near there and have never heard of one in my area so assumed they didnt either. 

I completely don't understand that canine-form chupacabra stuff, it's doesn't impress a bit. I always thought chupacabra should be bipedal, with those spikes along the back, as was initially described by the Mexicans. That would be cool and interesting. But some fat mangy coyotes are just boring. I still hope it's all the case of misidentification, and the real humanoid chupacabras from the jungle are out there. ;)

26 minutes ago, Chaldon said:

I completely don't understand that canine-form chupacabra stuff, it's doesn't impress a bit. I always thought chupacabra should be bipedal, with those spikes along the back, as was initially described by the Mexicans. That would be cool and interesting. But some fat mangy coyotes are just boring. I still hope it's all the case of misidentification, and the real humanoid chupacabras from the jungle are out there. ;)

Here's the original chupacabra, or goatsucker. 

1042009_tcm9-284352.jpg?width=1184&crop=

It was the nightjar, not a spikey biped, that only turned up in the 90's. 

Here's the true story

http://www.jasoncolavito.com/prehistory-of-chupacabra.html

• Like 3

4 hours ago, oldrover said:

Here's the original chupacabra, or goatsucker.

It was the nightjar, not a spikey biped, that only turned up in the 90's. 

Here's the true story

http://www.jasoncolavito.com/prehistory-of-chupacabra.html

Well, it's a well-known old wives' tale here in Russia. ^_^ Nightjar is called "козодой" in Russian, which literally means "goat milker", and was blamed on depriving cows of their milk since the time immemorial. But frankly I hardly can bind together the cases of cows lacking milk and animals killed with little blood left in them. Even if the latter was done by the mangy coyotes I just can't understand how. And by the way, there were some similar cases reported in Ukraine and Western Russia (don't know about Siberia). I don't know, may be it's all just a mass-hysteria, because reportedly there were a lot of dog-like tracks around the barns with the animals slaughtered, yet the animals were really strangely mutilated, I've seen a lot of pictures and videos of those, and it's a really strange to have the feral dogs to be blame for.

Edited by Chaldon
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Chaldon said:

Well, it's a well-known old wives' tale here in Russia. ^_^ Nightjar is called "козодой" in Russian, which literally means "goat milker", and was blamed on depriving cows of their milk since the time immemorial. But frankly I hardly can bind together the cases of cows lacking milk and animals killed with little blood left in them. Even if the latter was done by the mangy coyotes I just can't understand how. And by the way, there were some similar cases reported in Ukraine and Western Russia (don't know about Siberia). I don't know, may be it's all just a mass-hysteria, because reportedly there were a lot of dog-like tracks around the barns with the animals slaughtered, yet the animals were really strangely mutilated, I've seen a lot of pictures and videos of those, and it's a really strange to have the feral dogs to be blame for.

Very interesting to learn that this tale is also found in Russia.  

• Like 1

look up Mexican hairless dogs there is one just like they describe. Clearly running wild and they are crossing the border.

Shorter legs at the front bet he can run uphill fast ...... 

• Like 1