Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Three knocks woke me up twice

UM-Bot

• 3 weeks later...

My mom was born in the Appalachian mountains of Kentucky near the borders of Tennessee and West Virginia in May of 1944 being of mostly of Scottish ancestry but also Cherokee, Irish and even some Melungeon thrown in for good measure while my father is of German and Danish from his dad and Black Irish and Cherokee from his mom. Both side have varying stories of

Yeah, sometimes if you're in a bad way, emotionally, all kinds of weirdness happens. And it can even be experienced by other people who happen to be around. 

It's a red flag that stuff is out of balance. 

I lived in a house that got three loud knocks almost every night between 2-5 in the morning I never once caught the person doing it! I rushed to the door and window I even set up a camera. All I ever caught was audio. I only lived there for a year. It was crazy!

Logical explanation - A person, animal or piece of machinery was making some knocking/banging type noises.

Paranormal explanation - Amazing precognitive abilities have lured a demon from the spirit world which now wishes to knock on your house walls in a mildly annoying way.

Edited by I'mConvinced

One time, when my ex husband and had our first place, we used a blow up mattress until we got a bed. It was pushed up against the corner of the wall, where we used to sit at night with our backs to that wall. One night we were talking, when I felt a knock THROUGH the wall. I turned to my husband and he had heard/felt it too. We got up to go to the other side of the wall which was in the living room. There was nothing and noone there. Safe to say we did not lean against that wall the rest of the night.

Why are unexplained knocks so scary anyway?

• 2 weeks later...

I have experienced 1 loud knock on my bedroom door, really early morning while I am still deep sleep.

It is very startling, I rashly get up and see who it was, but no one and nothings there. This has happened at least 5 or 6 time now.

To this day I haven't figured out what happening or, where are this knocks coming from, or who is doing them.

The knock sounds so real, that I don't think i was dreaming about them knocks 

I know 'exploding head syndrome' is usually experienced as a person is dropping off to sleep, but I wonder if it can occur durIng sleep as well.  It might explain some of the 'bangs' people have heard in the night, thinking they were knocks on a wall or door.  No idea about the feel of a knock through a wall though.

eta.  Have just looked this up and syndrome can also happen when you wake up during the night.  We all wake periodically through the night, even if we are not aware and don't remember it.  Perhaps the waking from sleep to a loud noise is just this syndrome in play.

Edited by Susanc241

We have an entity who knocks every night, although he's been quiet recently. We call him the tubthumper.

hes never harmed us but he's there most nights when we go to bed. One night he frightened us as we were sat in bed chatting and my SO mentioned he hadn't heard the tubthumper yet and immediately there were three huge quick successive bangs on the ceiling above us... who knows what it is but it's definitely sentiment. He even knocks on command some evenings.

Well guys, whatever you do, don't set up recording equipment as then your entity will vanish forever.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I live in SW Virginia,  I too get awakened by three knocks out of my sleep.   They are very loud andcreal sounding.   It happens quite often.   I'm reading your posts now.   On occasion it has been one knock,  but primarily 3.  I live near WV,  TN,  KY,  and NC,  about 30 minutes or so from each in the middle of the Jefferson National Forrest,  The Appalachian Trail.  

On 12/09/2017 at 2:42 PM, ChrLzs said:

Well guys, whatever you do, don't set up recording equipment as then your entity will vanish forever.

I saw what you did there :lol:..

• Like 1

Just a teensy addition...  where I live we have a lot of overhanging tree branches and a family (or perhaps 2?) of possums frequently uses my roof to traverse to other trees, or just to run around on.  They often make a hell of a racket, and they will also sometimes make knocking sounds - whether to try to crack open something or just while scratching themselves, I do not know.   On a few occasions they have obviously been making a racket while I was half asleep and I waken, thinking for certain that someone has knocked on my door (brains like to 'fix' things to fit with normal experience, so it will change the sound you heard to suit..).

PS, I was always told as a boy to be careful of possums (this is in Australia, btw), as they will, so I wuz told, fight and scratch viciously if cornered... but on a few occasions I've gone outside at night, and one or more of them will just be sitting on my verandah.  They clearly do not regard me as any sort of threat, as they tend to just stare at me quite calmly with those cute little faces, and then go on about their business, unperturbed.  I'm sorta tempted to reach out and pat one or maybe (inappropriately) hand feed them a treat of .. well, whatever possums like...    but those warnings still ring in my ears.. :)  They really are cute, though..

• Like 1

Oh, and of course we need a picture of the Knocker/s...

Trichosurus_vulpecula_1.jpg

awwwww..... and check out the huge fluffy but prehensile tail..

• 7 months later...

I just happened to Google "knocks waking me up" and found this forum. Over the past 7-8 months I've been woke up at least 4 times by knocking, plus twice has occurred while awake while lying in bed in a dark room - once with another person in bed w me. She was freaked out because we were talking about her dead father at the time and the 3 knocks, clear as day as if someone was knocking on the wall inside the room, came from near the window of the hotel room on the 2nd floor. My "symptoms" are far, far different than explained in the "exploding head syndrome" definition too. Interestingly though all this has coincided with the utmost terrifying nightmares of demons chasing and attacking me, waking up at 3 something in the morning on a frequent basis, and feelings of dark presences in the room.

Well here goes a long story explaining from my experiences how I think these knocks and other strange phenomon like it are probably tied into real life more than we realize:

I've had nightmares of demons since maybe 6 years old, so I'm no stranger to them. But a couple of these recent dreams were by far the most intimidating demonic spirits I have ever known lurking and stalking me in my sleep. I love ****ing **** up in my dreams and taking out "evil spirits" in my dreams when I realize im dreaming, which is actually most dreams I remember. But this time it got to the point I had to do something to get out of that mind set fast - because I got an overwhelming feeling this thing was not something to **** with. A strong feeling that it was lurking just outside my reach as if to say "I'm herrrre. Come on, challenge me big guy". And if I did, it would swiftly kill me.

All this scary crap didnt just come out of the blue for me though. Sounds stupid, but I actually invited it all in to test out if maybe evil spirits lurk around us. I actually invited evil in to challenge it, to see if I could handle it. I know it sounds crazy, but those that are cocky enough and want to try it, try finding the most disturbing and darkest corners of your own mind, then entertain them while u lay there getting ready for bed, then invite evil (literally invite like you would a friend) to join you in your sleep, and make sure you challenge that evil by saying youre darker than it is and laugh at it. In fact, taught Satin (yes Satin himself) by saying he's a petty piece of crap, "bring it b****, I'll see you in my dreams." Do that night after night and see what starts happening to your dreams... I would only recommend this to people that have a very strong and CLEAR sense of self though, because I almost hit a point of no return. And like I said, I can **** **** up in most dreams, which I did in the beginning when my dreams first started getting funky. After a couple weeks though there was something that started stalking me in my dreams, and even had a stalking presence in real life, that felt like PURE evil.

It got to the point that I had to bail out. In fact, my one cat that sleeps by my feet EVERY night, and has been for the past 8 years didn't sleep in my room for a whole week at the peak of craziness. I thought I was becoming schizophrenic. I would wake up a lot at 3am and hear and even physically feel crazy things sometimes. I did find a way to return to normal though. The only way I got out was by having faith in goodness. I'm not religious AT ALL. In fact I believe it's impossible for one being to be almighty, and I think most religious books are human written stories that attempted to teach good practice, but are flawed by human error, ancient human culture and simplicity. Regardless of my lack of religion, I found good in a protector Catholics call St Michael the Arch Angel - the one character from the bible I held onto from Catholic grade school. The night I decided I would put my faith and FATE in his hands, I had a very vivid dream of meeting him, joining his army and kicking demon ass along with a group of arch angels. From that point on, the dark entity that was haunting me was gone. Occasionally since, I would get a sense of it's return but I would find strength through goodness and peace again and it would go away instantly. Now, all this could be a game of the mind - but if it is the mind playing tricks, doesn't it make you think about how mental illness might begin, and how it might be cured? That in itself is powerful.

Mind games or not, I firmly believe that being waked by knocking at night, that is very vivid but definitely not by a person, has something to do with either your mental state of peace, your subconscious desire to connect to a spirit realm, and/or your vulnerability to be taken advantage of by a predatory being that we can't see but exists around us. Interestingly, early in my life I suffered with severe depression until high school when I changed my mind set on life. Then I had occasional minor depression that I grew out of little by little until none. But I was always haunted by myself, as in, haunted by an evilness that I felt may have been deep inside my mind. All until I went through this in the past 6 months. Now for the first time in my life, at 32 years old, I feel in complete control of myself - my mind, spirit, emotions. So regardless of whether evil spirits actually exist around us or not, they definitely exist within each of our minds. We can explore it, and we can fix it. Im not sure if those knocks are good or evil, or external or internal, but I strongly believe it has something to do with your spiritual connection to a realm of either spirits or your own mind, that is constantly battling between good and evil. I think those knocks are a wake up call to address something related to that battle.

Edited by Otherside_Explorer
  • Thanks 1

Hi, I'm new to the forum but I experienced the knocking last night for the first time in my life. My husband was with me and heard it too. It was a triple knock that sounded like it came from behind us,which would be the backyard. We checked everywhere and found nothing. Does this mean that a death is coming or a spirit is present? I'm so freaked out by the whole thing.