Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Canadian polygamous leader guilty of 25 wives

Still Waters

4 hours ago, Myles said:

I agree in theory to some point.  

1) Not sure I'm all for this rule.   Just because I feel people can, for the most part, be able to make up there own minds.  

I know, and what I am saying here is going against my own Libertarian ways. However, there comes a time when you have to step away from ideology to deal with reality in a more flexible way. 

In this case a heck of a lot of people are being hurt by the desires of one. In THIS case one man is abusing his freedom in order to take it away from a lot of other people, we call that Tyranny where I come from.

4 hours ago, Myles said:

2) I don't think all polygamists are evil people who are controlling women in a bad way.   If a guy was raised that way and 2 women were fine with the arrangement, then I'm not going to wish violence against him.  

2 women would not be a problem as far as I am concerned, or two men, or a cluster of Bi-sexuals ... as long as they have the mental and emotional maturity to deal with the situation they have created.

In THIS case, I contend that it is lacking. Keeping the women isolated and the kids away from school add up to show us a picture that resembles arrangements on the 3rd Word (and not the nicer parts) that would fall to pieces on contact with the one form of Diversity that really matters; thoughts and ideas.

Being excluded from that is what really galls me here.

And I am sorry if I come off like some sort of SJW control-freak, but this really is a step too far. This is wrong, people have been telling us it is wrong for thousands of years. 

BTW- explaining the inevitability of violence is a long way from advocating it. 

People didn't want to hear was Cassandra said, but it happened all the same, didn't it?

4 hours ago, Myles said:

3)  If it is legal, I don't think it would be right to refuse them the opportunity to home-school if others can do it. 

Yeah, maybe I went too far there, but these people have gone way too far with their search for exemptions. If they want all these special favors, then they can submit to a few special rules themselves.

There has to be something to balance the scales.

And look at the post above. This practice is self-destructive in the end no matter how you slice it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AnchorSteam said:

Of course not; religion is a way of exploiting people's ignorance to gain control of the masses.

I love how the truth is coming out about these swine. Basically, an Empire of Welfare cheats using religion as a shield against logic and human decency. Self-perpetuationg, too, the daughters of one Harem Master become the wives of the next S.O,B, with the same ideas. 

How much do you wanna bet that none of those houses have cable or internet access? <_<

There is a problem here, a big one. If one guy has 5 wives, that means 4 men nearby don't have any wives. Those men are much more likely to commit rape and a host of other violent crimes out of sheer frustration. This isn't such an issue in the Islamic world, where the Jihad demands a constant supply of cannon-fodder,  but in a peaceful society it can be catastrophic. 

There are a lot of good reasons for the one man/one woman rule, this is one of the major ones.

Hopefully, those frustrated me would focus their violent tendencies on the Polygamist Men themselves, the authors of their angst. Historically this sort of monopoly comes to an end when a dozen armed me show up and take the wives for themselves. Weeping women and terrified children (maybe) being dragged off in the middle of the night is a pretty poor solution to this problem so... better idea time, right?

1- major reductions in welfare payments to three or more women w/kids living under a common roof.

2- Children in those common homes should be required to attend school (public or accredited private) all the way to 12th grade.

I think those would be a good start.

They kick the 'extra' men/boys out of the commune.  They usually end up on drugs because once they are kicked out, they are not allowed to contact their families.  They are left destitute with no support system.  Quite often they end up committing suicide.

7 hours ago, Gromdor said:

I read this on BBC the other day:  http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20170726-the-polygamous-town-facing-genetic-disaster

Long story, short- Too much inbreeding is bad!

I know this has been posted a hundred times but I like the tune even though it creeps me out a bit. Go time 1:58 and listen to Ned

Edited by The Silver Thong
  • Like 1

A friend in Utah works with a group of people who open their homes to Lost Boys who are expelled from the polygamist cults. It's devastating for an 18-year-old kid who grew up with 15-20 siblings to suddenly be thrown out of his family to fend for himself on the streets in Salt Lake City. 

A good book about the craziness of polygamy is "Under the Banner of Heaven" by Jon Krakauer. I lived in Utah when the events took place. I felt like I was living in an alternate universe.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, AnchorSteam said:

Of course not; religion is a way of exploiting people's ignorance to gain control of the masses.

I love how the truth is coming out about these swine. Basically, an Empire of Welfare cheats using religion as a shield against logic and human decency. Self-perpetuationg, too, the daughters of one Harem Master become the wives of the next S.O,B, with the same ideas. 

How much do you wanna bet that none of those houses have cable or internet access? <_<

There is a problem here, a big one. If one guy has 5 wives, that means 4 men nearby don't have any wives. Those men are much more likely to commit rape and a host of other violent crimes out of sheer frustration. This isn't such an issue in the Islamic world, where the Jihad demands a constant supply of cannon-fodder,  but in a peaceful society it can be catastrophic. 

There are a lot of good reasons for the one man/one woman rule, this is one of the major ones.

Hopefully, those frustrated me would focus their violent tendencies on the Polygamist Men themselves, the authors of their angst. Historically this sort of monopoly comes to an end when a dozen armed me show up and take the wives for themselves. Weeping women and terrified children (maybe) being dragged off in the middle of the night is a pretty poor solution to this problem so... better idea time, right?

1- major reductions in welfare payments to three or more women w/kids living under a common roof.

2- Children in those common homes should be required to attend school (public or accredited private) all the way to 12th grade.

I think those would be a good start.

I'm not sure how they would work it out, but it seems to me the one legal wife could file a claim...if they were truly under income. Since the guy is a millionaire, no one should be able to apply for welfare. 

If these guys have to actually support all the children they beget, maybe they'll think twice about the 25 wives. 

Great idea on keeping the kids in accredited school. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, simplybill said:

A friend in Utah works with a group of people who open their homes to Lost Boys who are expelled from the polygamist cults. It's devastating for an 18-year-old kid who grew up with 15-20 siblings to suddenly be thrown out of his family to fend for himself on the streets in Salt Lake City. 

A good book about the craziness of polygamy is "Under the Banner of Heaven" by Jon Krakauer. I lived in Utah when the events took place. I felt like I was living in an alternate universe.

That's truly horrible.

• Like 2

This is the part that just p***** me off to no end.

From the earlier link I posted.

B.C. polygamist leader ‘sees no sin’ in taking tax money.

It’s called “bleeding the beast” -- a term used by avowed polygamists to describe taking money from government.

It's one thing to genuinely be less fortunate, and quite another to set out to deliberately take the taxpayer for all they're worth. 

It has been like 3 days since I read that, and it's still p****** me off. And I don't even live in Canada. But I still had to pay taxes that probably supported Warren Jeffs doing this same crap. 

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

This is the part that just p***** me off to no end.

From the earlier link I posted.

B.C. polygamist leader ‘sees no sin’ in taking tax money.

It’s called “bleeding the beast” -- a term used by avowed polygamists to describe taking money from government.

It's one thing to genuinely be less fortunate, and quite another to set out to deliberately take the taxpayer for all they're worth. 

It has been like 3 days since I read that, and it's still p****** me off. And I don't even live in Canada. But I still had to pay taxes that probably supported Warren Jeffs doing this same crap. 

And this is the hard part where the government tried bringing a case against Blackmore with his taxes.  They need to do more to break him and his ilk

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

I'm not sure how they would work it out, but it seems to me the one legal wife could file a claim...if they were truly under income. Since the guy is a millionaire, no one should be able to apply for welfare. 

If these guys have to actually support all the children they beget, maybe they'll think twice about the 25 wives. 

Great idea on keeping the kids in accredited school. 

Exactly.  Once the lids are taken out, they aren't home schooled, they are put to work.  Yet they still get government funding for their education.  These guys are bilkingvthe government left, right and center and the government is giving in because they cry persecution with any enquiry.

Problem solution reaction. 

Step 1  start truck

step 2  drive truck

step 3 run over this scumbag

5 hours ago, The Silver Thong said:

step 3 run over this scumbag

What, make him a martyr to 100 people?

I'd rather expose him to the very people he calls his Family, once they have been educated to the point where they have some basis of comparison.

Oh... "Bleeding the Beast" is what they call it?

Fine, enemy sighted, time to recognize them as such. 

3 hours ago, AnchorSteam said:

What, make him a martyr to 100 people?

No, It would be an accident wink wink 

26 minutes ago, The Silver Thong said:

No, It would be an accident wink wink 

Yeah, sure.... are you trying to get this thread locked?

8 minutes ago, AnchorSteam said:

Yeah, sure.... are you trying to get this thread locked?

nope just saying this guy is a waste of air and his family has nothing to offer.

What's that old saying, cut the head off the snake.  Of course the legal system will do it right. The kids and the wives are under a delusion and I think abuse is rampant. I can't defend that. 

Edited by The Silver Thong