Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Atoms are intergalactic interlopers

Claire.

Half the atoms inside your body came from across the universe

Half of the atoms making up everything around you are intergalactic interlopers. Large galaxies like our Milky Way amassed half their matter from neighboring star clusters up to a million light years away, according to a new simulation.

Read more: New Scientist

• Like 3

" The theft occurs after a death. When some stars reach the end of their life cycle, they become massive supernovae, spewing high-speed gas out into the universe. The matter in these ejections is picked up by galactic winds, streams of charged particles powered by the exploding supernovae. "

it is like reading sci fi , half of my atoms are from  a star that died, exploded and spewed out charged star dust that was carried away by galactic winds across the universe and some of the dust settled on planet Earth and makes up half of everything I know . 

• Like 2

Well since it's a computer simulation, you can still can it SciFi as it hasn't been proven.  This theory makes the "Big Bang" even more interesting.  Did a previous "Milky Way steal enough matter to blow up just by not having enough room to move?

• Like 1

On 7/26/2017 at 9:38 PM, Claire. said:

Half the atoms inside your body came from across the universe

Half of the atoms making up everything around you are intergalactic interlopers. Large galaxies like our Milky Way amassed half their matter from neighboring star clusters up to a million light years away, according to a new simulation.

Read more: New Scientist

Such a great story!  Thanks Claire, I never thought it possible. Let's hope the hypothesis holds up ( I believe it will)

• Like 1