Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Unexplainable" Objects Beyond Neptune

AnchorSteam

This is strange, not even sure if the source rates being here at all... but I wanted to get confirmation before I blew it off.

Summary- "Miku" an object about 125 miles across is seen orbiting counter-spinwise AND in an arc 110 degrees out of kilter with all other orbits.

And the kicker is, it is dragging along a few things with it. 

This is very weird, a moon that small should not be able to drag anything with it. Could it be a dead Neutron Star that is simply on an arc as it passes close to our system? 

• Like 1

There are no laws that I know of preventing a foriegn body from being captured by our sun.So what its opposite inclined orbit to our solar system

Simply a way to avoid detection by the Kodan Armada and yet be easily detectable by incoming friendlies in need of supply and refit.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AnchorSteam said:

This is very weird, a moon that small should not be able to drag anything with it. Could it be a dead Neutron Star that is simply on an arc as it passes close to our system? 

We will see.  An object as dense as a dead neutron star could drag a few planets along with or greatly perturb their orbits as it passes through.  Might also be a collection of objects moving in the same orbit, detritus from a collision rather than an asteroid sized object dragging  things with it.  Good find though, thanks for posting.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AnchorSteam said:

This is strange, not even sure if the source rates being here at all... but I wanted to get confirmation before I blew it off.

Summary- "Miku" an object about 125 miles across is seen orbiting counter-spinwise AND in an arc 110 degrees out of kilter with all other orbits.

And the kicker is, it is dragging along a few things with it. 

I'm not sure what the mystery is ? The 'dragged' objects might not be dragged at all, but merely following the same orbit. (imagine if the "moon" was created by an asteroid collision or somesuch, and the "dragged" objects are merely fragments from the impact that happened to be blown into the same trajectory/orbit as the 'moon' itself. 

Alternate answer: no mystery at all. Where did you THINK all the Biro's and odd socks went ? 

Point 1.  It's secureteam10.

Point 2.  Google them.

Point 3 - this has been discussed on another thread and is unusual, but not 'unexplainable'.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ChrLzs said:

Point 1.  It's secureteam10.

Point 2.  Google them.

Point 3 - this has been discussed on another thread and is unusual, but not 'unexplainable'.

Yeah... ANYTHING by secureteam10 is worthless garbage.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AnchorSteam said:

What would a neutron star be a moon of? A neutron star has more mass than the entire solar system.

This object is quite real, and is the result of a legitimate scientific search.  The name of the object, by the way, is 'Niku' not 'Miku'. The cause of its odd orbit is not known, at this time, but it is not unique among trans-Neptunian-objects (TNOs).

This business about it dragging other objects behind it is a misinterpretation. It shares its orbital plane, and longitude of ascending node (the position in space where the object is farthest above the flat plane of the solar system) with some other objects. It is apparently only in this sense that they are 'clustered'. There's no indication that they are notably close to one another.

Some unknown perturbing object, possibly a very distant  ninth planet, might be responsible for these objects sharing an odd plane of rotation.  Below, please find a link to an article with more information, including, near the bottom, an arXiv link to a scientific paper by the discoverers of this object.

https://www.sciencealert.com/there-s-an-unidentified-object-in-a-strange-orbit-past-neptune-and-no-one-can-explain-it 

Edited by bison
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

What would a neutron star be a moon of? A neutron star has more mass than the entire solar system.

Well, I am trying to say it is NOT a moon.

In fact, how do we even know it is truly in orbit? The time of observation has been pretty darn brief. maybe it is just passing through.

1 hour ago, bison said:

This object is quite real, and is the result of a legitimate scientific search.  The name of the object, by the way, is 'Niku' not 'Miku'. The cause of its odd orbit is not known, at this time, but it is not unique among trans-Neptunian-objects (TNOs).

This business about it dragging other objects behind it is a misinterpretation. It shares its orbital plane, and longitude of ascending node (the position in space where the object is farthest above the flat plane of the solar system) with some other objects. It is apparently only in this sense that they are 'clustered'. There's no indication that they are notably close to one another.

Some unknown perturbing object, possibly a very distant  ninth planet, might be responsible for these objects sharing an odd plane of rotation.  Below, please find a link to an article with more information, including, near the bottom, an arXiv link to a scientific paper by the discoverers of this object.

https://www.sciencealert.com/there-s-an-unidentified-object-in-a-strange-orbit-past-neptune-and-no-one-can-explain-it 

Thanks!

Maybe I should stop leading with Vids, but that is all I had on this at the time.

So what we might have here is the result of an ancient collision, which would explain both the orbit and the string of "objects", rubble that can be seen from here (pretty damn impressive, when you think about it...) in the same arc.

So much for my idea about a tiny remnant of a Nuetron Star.

And as far as a Giant Planet X being way out there , it turns out that we wouldn't be in the only system that has something like that-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_106906_b

... wow.

• 2 weeks later...

On 7/27/2017 at 5:57 PM, AnchorSteam said:

In fact, how do we even know it is truly in orbit? The time of observation has been pretty darn brief. maybe it is just passing through.

This is a very good point.

Just so it's a bit more debatable; Scholz's Star passed through the region of the theorized Oort cloud (luckily this doesn't scatter or otherwise inhibit measurements of the CMB) around 70,000 years ago and a star is expected to pass through the Oort Cloud every 100k years. Objects sufficiently disturbed by a passing star could make their way into the solar system, taking around 2 million years. 

Now, if the Oort Cloud hasn't been completely consumed by the ~43k stars that are expected to have passed through it, each of those stars would likely have had their own termination shock boundary (KB) and Oort Cloud. These objects could be leeched from a different solar system as well.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Frank_Hoenedge said:

This is a very good point.

Thanks for saying so!

Every 100k years... wow. That is a hell of a lot of stars just passing by within 1 Light Year, I had no idea.

I was thinking that any passing systems would have an even greater chance of flinging stuff away from our Sun as they would towards it... but then what about all the new stuff being pulled in from that system?

For something that is supposed to be so empty, there sure is a lot of stuff out there in the void, isn't there?

• Like 1